What's new

United States of Europe? That notion is not appealing to British PM

Sugarcane

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
DAVOS, Switzerland (AP) — Britain's Prime Minister David Cameron has slammed any moves to forge a United States of Europe.

Cameron, who has shaken up Europe's political landscape by offering to let citizens vote on whether to leave the 27-nation European Union, says forcing countries into a single entity would be a "great mistake."

Speaking Thursday at the World Economic Forum in the Swiss resort of Davos, Cameron says Britain would stand against any moves to shoehorn countries into a centralized political union.

Many politicians, particularly those in the 17 countries that use the euro, think closer political ties are needed. Some even think something resembling the United States should be Europe's end-game.

A number of European leaders have accused Cameron of putting the bloc at risk to deal with domestic political problems.

Cameron: I don't want a country called Europe

I don't think it's possible either and his movies suck!

theoretically,it is possible.with perhaps 3 official languages,english,french,german.

but practically,it is impossible.majority people wont accept it.

That's James Cameron.

so,do you support this united states of europe?

This man has failed miserably on all his election pledges and now trying desperstely to win back some public support for next elections.
His party has lost in every interim and local body elections in recent years. That is evidence that his popularity is at rock bottom.

He can say what he wants and be a desperate as he can,but he wont win next elections as all if his policies since he won elections,have direcltly effected the lives of poor and average British people....for the worse...

so,do you support this united states of europe?

I do, slim chances of happening it on a grander scale though. At least not in the sense of proclaiming any federation. Not just yet.
I foresee more and more integration in the areas of defence (because nations are forced to due to dwindling def. budgets), in almost every field in regards to economics (benefits of the huge market, forced due to the crisis), a common foreign policy (condemning terrorists, Iran, boogeymen etc.), but nothing of the sort of a true president/governing body, single budget for all members or any drastic transfers of sovereignty from member countries to the EU.

I do, slim chances of happening it on a grander scale though. At least not in the sense of proclaiming any federation. Not just yet.
I foresee more and more integration in the areas of defence (because nations are forced to due to dwindling def. budgets), in almost every field in regards to economics (benefits of the huge market, forced due to the crisis), a common foreign policy (condemning terrorists, Iran, boogeymen etc.), but nothing of the sort of a true president/governing body, single budget for all members or any drastic transfers of sovereignty from member countries to the EU.

nice to hear ur views.

by the way,which european country do you belong to(if u dont mind)?that wil help me in understanding your views better,as i can relate your views to your country as well.

Such a deep level of integration as suggested by the EU effectively renders the nation-state obsolete and it's only natural that Britian wants to refrain from becoming a state that is more or less controlled by their committment to the EU. His moves might not be welcomed but the motive behind them do make sense.

DAVOS, Switzerland (AP) — Britain's Prime Minister David Cameron has slammed any moves to forge a United States of Europe.

Cameron, who has shaken up Europe's political landscape by offering to let citizens vote on whether to leave the 27-nation European Union, says forcing countries into a single entity would be a "great mistake."

Speaking Thursday at the World Economic Forum in the Swiss resort of Davos, Cameron says Britain would stand against any moves to shoehorn countries into a centralized political union.

Many politicians, particularly those in the 17 countries that use the euro, think closer political ties are needed. Some even think something resembling the United States should be Europe's end-game.

A number of European leaders have accused Cameron of putting the bloc at risk to deal with domestic political problems.

Cameron: I don't want a country called Europe
Smart guy David Cameron,if he(UK) is leaving the sinking ship called EU.

Such a deep level of integration as suggested by the EU effectively renders the nation-state obsolete

It doesn't.

London wants to remain the go-to spot of all euro traded "products", but without oversight and regulation from the people who created the currency.

There is no such thing on the cards where Brussels would announce war on someone in England's behalf.

Smart guy David Cameron,if he(UK) is leaving the sinking ship called EU.

Sinking ship needs kebapci's.

Fulfilling his poll promise. But it's very unlikely that they will go for a referendum. If they do... British public will overwhelmingly vote against joining EU. But the implications will be quite complicated. This is just a pressure tactic by Cameron.

Back
Top Bottom