What's new

Turkic World Photos/News/Discussions.

Meskhetian Turks in E. Ukraine call on Turkey for help

Meskhetian Turks stuck in the middle of clashes in eastern Ukraine need to be brought to Turkey as soon as possible, the World Union of Ahiskan Turks said.

The World Union of Ahiskan Turks (DATUB) called on the Turkish government to bring the Meskhetian Turks, also knwon as Ahiska Turks, which finds itself stuck in the middle of clashes in eastern Ukraine, to Turkey immediately.

"Fortunately, none of ours was wounded or killed there so far, Burhan Ozkosar, Deputy Chairman of the World Union of Ahiskan Turks told Anadolu Agency (AA) on Friday. But the damage is big. Three of our houses were demolished by mortal shells."

According to Ozkosar, there are around 500 Meskhetian Turks remaining in eastern Ukraine, who "need to be brought to Turkey immediately" on refugee status.

"They are waiting for what will happen to them there helplessly, he said. Some of them want to migrate to Ahiska region [in Georgia]. But a majority of them are asking Turkey to accept them as refugees."

On Thursday, at least 700 people from the Turkish-speaking minority in eastern Ukraine were forced to abandon their homes after being persecuted by pro-Russian separatists and Kiev supporters, according to a community representative Nebican Basatov.

Meskhetian Turks are originally from a part of southern Georgia close to Turkey's border.

Expelled by Joseph Stalin from their homeland in 1944, they faced discrimination and human rights abuses before and after deportation. Those who migrated to Ukraine in 1990 settled in shanty towns inhabited by seasonal workers.

Tensions remain high in eastern Ukraine, where pro-Russian separatists are clashing with government forces.

Ukrainian pro-European business tycoon Petro Poroshenko, elected with more than 54 percent of the vote in last week's presidential elections, vowed to rein in the pro-Russian separatists in the east of the country.

Source: worldbulletin.com (cant copy the link on phone)

I hope Turkish govt will heed to their calls, no matter what circumstances. It truly sucks to hear our politicians talking about rules or laws even when the matter is people who are very close to us.

I dont have much hope that something is done......
Most Ahiskas that flee Ukraine go to Russia (Krasnodar) didnt hear that anyone goes to Azerbaijan (too far away)

Türkbükü'de Türk buluşması - Dış Politika Haberleri

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

Tatar leader said. If Tatars come under threat, Turkey gives us guarrantee it will get involved directly. Ne demek istiyorlar? Turkiye ordu mu yolucak diyor yoksa baska bi sey mi??

Crimean Tatar leader: Turkey gave us guarantees | General | Worldbulletin News

Happy family :)

Just imagine Slav people standing like that next to each other. Russians, Poles, Ukranians... lol

We are gifted by the almighty Tengri. History will give us another chance.

Tatar leader said. If Tatars come under threat, Turkey gives us guarrantee it will get involved directly. Ne demek istiyorlar? Turkiye ordu mu yolucak diyor yoksa baska bi sey mi??

Crimean Tatar leader: Turkey gave us guarantees | General | Worldbulletin News

Happy family :)

Just imagine Slav people standing like that next to each other. Russians, Poles, Ukranians... lol

We are gifted by the almighty Tengri. History will give us another chance.
I wouldnt laugh about the Slav thing like that since if you noticed Uzbekistans Karimov isnt present since everyother Turkic state in their region hates them its a shame that they are the black sheep (eventhough it was defiantely their fault to begin with for example killing Ahiskas)

I wouldnt laugh about the Slav thing like that since if you noticed Uzbekistans Karimov isnt present since everyother Turkic state in their region hates them its a shame that they are the black sheep (eventhough it was defiantely their fault to begin with for example killing Ahiskas)

Yeah, we never see Uzbekistan in these kind od event.... they are Turkic also, why they don't attend ?

I forgot about that. Every family has a black sheep though. Do you think it is just their government or also the population that is problematic?

Yeah, we never see Uzbekistan in these kind od event.... they are Turkic also, why they don't attend ?
Because Uzbekistan harassed the Kirgiz/Kazakhs and they almost went to war with each other since Uzbek nationalism is more centered on themselves also they killed Kirgiz and Ahiskas in a violent onslaught.

I forgot about that. Every family has a black sheep though. Do you think it is just their government or also the population that is problematic?
Both to be true
But the population calmed down a bit but they still hate Kirgiz

i would bet that it's just the govt. i did some reading about Turkey - Uzbekistan relationship and it seems, if i remember correctly, that the Gulen based schools were being targeted by the Uzbekistani govt due their thinking that these schools would form an islamic threat in the future. At that time Gulen and akp were convenient friends, so the akp got blamed too since they were supporting those Gulen schools, whether directly or indirectly i dont know. This was the primary reason for a damaged relationship between our countries. But still Uzbekistan is a black sheep for other reasons too, like @Ahiska mentioned.

i found the paper (pdf file) where i got this from:
http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAC&url=http://www.gmfus.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files_mf/devlit_uzbekistan_jan12.pdf&ei=o9yQU7_KBcmp4gT0poDADw&usg=AFQjCNHGd19BHuHEpwLzvjdf6XQCsuVeXw&sig2=BaTOqKPXu0LZ-2rB9Bmf4g&bvm=bv.68445247,d.bGE

Last edited:
i would bet that it's just the govt. i did some reading about Turkey - Uzbekistan relationship and it seems, if i remember correctly, that the Gulen based schools were being targeted by the Uzbekistani govt due their thinking that these schools would form an islamic threat in the future. At that time Gulen and akp were convenient friends, so the akp got blamed too since they were supporting those Gulen schools, whether directly or indirectly i dont know. But still Uzbekistan is a black sheep for other reasons too, like @Ahiska mentioned.
I met some Uzbek merchandisers when I was in Istanbul. They were really nice people. I have limited knowlegde about them. I hope if some members know more, they can shed a light.

I met some Uzbek merchandisers when I was in Istanbul. They were really nice people. I have limited knowlegde about them. I hope if some members know more, they can shed a light.
i added that paper where i found this piece of info in my previous , you might be interested in that paper as well.

Back
Top Bottom