What's new

Turkic World Photos/News/Discussions.

Bulgars are not Turkic :what:

The Proto-Bulgars were definitely Turkic. There are enough linguistic evidences that the Bulgars spoke a Oghuric Turkic language like Chuvashs. However they were absorbed, assimilated and Christianized by South Slavs but their ethnonym still survives in the modern Slavic-speaking Bulgarians

Mate, I know what you are talking about, but it is not related to that. The neolithic revolution and immigrations after that, is a good theory, and J2 haplogroup in genetics is assigned to this people. What they are talking about is a emigration from central asia, which I think it should show R1a1 as its genetics marker. So far, nothing is proved or disproved yet ;)
Oh, I've never heard of such a theory. What's the time frame in this theory?

ah, you were referring to good, old proto-bulgars :) it's theorized that they split from main turkic mass around 600 or 500 BC and headed west.
I think it does make sense in some extent. except for language, I think Southern slaves are more close to turkics than Western/Eastern slavs. what's your opinion?

Whats important is language because that indicates which culture someone belongs to basically.

no,that's not true. modern kaltatai tribe of karluk origin, who inhabit pamir mountains, speaks tajik. though, they're aware that they come from karluks and therefore turkic.or indigenous people of siberia. nowadays, almost all of them speak russian. IMO russian deserves its title as "killer of languages".

I think it does make sense in some extent. except for language, I think Southern slaves are more close to turkics than Western/Eastern slavs. what's your opinion?

southern slavs were subject to constant turkic influence between 4-13. centuries AD, starting with huns and continuing through avars, kutrigurs, bulgars etc. but IMHO eastern slavs (i.e. russians, ukrains) were subject to more intense influence. there's a saying in russian that if you dig a little, you'll find some tatar (i.e. turkic) ancestor in every russian.

southern slavs were subject to constant turkic influence between 4-13. centuries AD, starting with huns and continuing through avars, kutrigurs, bulgars etc. but IMHO eastern slavs (i.e. russians, ukrains) were subject to more intense influence. there's a saying in russian that if you dig a little, you'll find some tatar (i.e. turkic) ancestor in every russian.
Interesting.
What's the opinion of central Asian turks about Russia, and Russians, in general? what's their opinion about us?

The same goes for the Turkic peoples in Russia like Chuvashes and Volga Tatars. Almost all Chuvashs and many Tatars can pass as Russian and also as Finno-Ugrics like Mari people or Mordovians. There was strong intermingling between Bulgars, Slavs and Finno-Ugrics in Russia though at the end Slavs became dominant.

Türk Dili Konusan Ülkeler Isbirligi Konseyi

Turkkon is Turkic language cooperation counsil. Maybe you can find it on there. Actualy I didn't know they were busy with this. There was nothing on Turkish or Azeri news about it.

It seems Kazakhstan is the most energetic about these topics. Even the Turkic counsil was an idea by them:
Day of Turkic script of paramount importance for peoples of Asia - Dr. Develi
In Azeri news says Cemil Cicek said common language and alphabet is the main wish and they work on it.

Here are some deities and major gods and spirits in Tengrism and Turkic mythology

Major gods

• Gok Tengri - God of Sky. Creator of everything. Tengri was the main god of the Turkic pantheon, controlling the celestial sphere.
  • Kayra (or Kaira) - Supreme God of universe. He is the Spirit of God and creator god in Turkic mythology. Son of the sky deity (Gok Tengri).
  • Ulgan (or Ulgen) - God of benevolence. Son of Kaira. He is a Turkic and Mongolian creator-deity.
  • Mergen - God of wisdom. Son of Kaira. He is a Turkic deity of abundance and knowledge.
  • Kyzaghan - War god. Kyzaghan is the son of Kayra and the brother of Ulgan.
  • Umay or Umai - Goddess of fertility. She is the goddess of virginity and as such related to women, mothers and children.
  • Kubai - Goddess of born / birth and children.She protects women who give birth. She gives the children souls.
  • Koyash or Kuyash - Sun God. Koyash is the son of Gok Tengri "Sky God" and the Earth Goddess.
  • Ak Ana - Goddess of creation. Ak Ana, is the primordial creator-goddess of Turkic people. She is also known as the goddess of the water.
  • Ay Ata - Moon God. According to the mythology, he is a moon god and he have been living in sixth floor of the sky with Gun Ana.
  • Gun Ana - Sun Goddess. She is the common Turkic solar deity, treated as a goddess in the Kazakh and Kyrgyz mythologies.
  • Yel Ana - Goddess of winds. In Hungarian folklore she is referred to as the "queen of wind" too.
  • Yel Ata - God of winds. In Hungarian folklore he is also referred to as the "king of wind".
  • Burkut - Eagle God. The eagle god Burkut symbolizes the sun and power.
  • Aisyt - Goddess of beauty. She is also the mother goddess of the Yakut people from Siberia.
  • Erlik - God of underground and hell. He is the deity of evil, darkness, lord of the lower world, and judge of the dead.
  • Su Ana - Goddess of water. Su Ana is said to appear as a naked young woman with a fairy-like face.
  • Su Ata - God of water. He appears as an old man with a frog-like face, greenish beard, with his body covered in algae and muck.
  • Od Ana - Goddess of fire. Also referred to as goddess of marriage. In Mongolian folklore she is referred to as the "queen of fire".
  • Od Ata - God of fire. In Mongolian folklore he is referred to as the Od Khan "king of fire". He is a fire spirit in the shamanistic traditions of Mongolia.
  • Yer Tanry - Earth Goddess / God. As a fertility goddess, she was recognized as the giver of crops and abundance.
  • Etugen - Earth Goddess. Her name originates from Ötüken, the holy mountain of the earth and fertility goddess of the ancient Turks.[1]
  • Hurmuz[2][3] or Kurmez - God of souls. Also he is a god in Mongolian mythology and shamanism, described as the chief of the 55 gods.
  • Jaiyk - God of rivers. He is a god in Turkic pantheon, previously known as Dayık in Altai mythology. He lives at the junction of 17 rivers.
  • Alaz - God of fire in Turkic mythology. Also known as Alas-Batyr or sometimes Alaz Khan.
  • Baianai - Hunting Goddess. She is also the Yakut goddess of forests and joy.

Other gods

• Adaghan - Mountain God. He protects the mountains and the creatures that live there. His name means sacrifice acceptor.
    • Akbugha - God of medicine. He is the god of health and healing in ancient Turkic tradition. He has a white serpent.
    • Shalyk - Hunting God. He was the Turkic goddess of the hunt, wild animals, wilderness and protector of forests.
    • Inehsit - Goddess of childbirth and labour pains. She was the divine helper of women in labour has an obvious origin in the human midwife.
    • Qovaq - God of the sky. He brings up a new sun every day; for that reason, he is hunted by Yelbehen to stop her and cause total darkness.
    • Uren - Goddess of the harvest. She presided over grains and the fertility of the earth.
    • Öt or Öğöt - God of Time. He is the personification of Time in ancient Turkic folk religion.
    • Zarlık - Goddess of Judgement. She was the goddess of justice, fair judgements and the rights.
    • Zada - Wind God. He is the ruler of the winds, and owner of Yada Tashy (Wind Stone).
    • Ukulan - Water God. He is the chief of the rivers, springs, streams and fountains.
    • Izıh - God of wild animals. He is especially the god of freed animals.
    • Chokqu - Goddess of good wishes. She fulfills wishes.
    • Talai or Dalai - God of Oceans. He was the personification of the World Ocean, an enormous river encircling the world.
Strangely many Turks believe that Tengrism was a pure monotheist religion but that's not true. It features both polytheism and monotheism while Tengri is the supreme god.

I wonder what is the source of this ? where are those written ?

I wonder what is the source of this ? where are those written ?

Irk Bitig or Irq Bitig (Old Turkic: ), known as the Book of Omens or Book of Divination in English, is a 9th-century manuscript book on divination that was discovered in the "Library Cave" of the Mogao Caves in Dunhuang, China, by Aurel Stein in 1907, and is now in the collection of the British Library in London, England. The book is written inOld Turkic using the Old Turkic script (also known as "Orkhon" or "Turkic runes"); it is the only known complete manuscript text written in the Old Turkic script.[1] It is also an important source for early Turkic mythology

Does anyone have good souce about Turkic calender? I heard Turkic calender was taken over by the Chinese but we Turkics have forgotten it when we became muslim. Such a loss.

Back
Top Bottom