What's new

Turkic World Photos/News/Discussions.

Some basic informations about the native religion of Eurasian nomads

Tengrism (sometimes stylized as Tengriism), occasionally referred to asTengrianism , is a modern term[1] for a Central Asian religion characterized by features of shamanism, animism, totemism, both polytheism and monotheism,[2][3][4][5] and ancestor worship. Historically, it was the prevailing religion of the Turks, Mongols, and Hungarians, as well as the Xiongnu and theHuns.[6][7] It was the state religion of the six ancient Turkic states: Göktürks Khaganate, Avar Khaganate, Western Turkic Khaganate, Great Bulgaria,Bulgarian Empire and Eastern Tourkia. In Turkic Mythology, Tengri is described as Türük Tängrisi (God of Turks).[8] The term is perceived among Turkic peoples as a national religion.

As a modern revival, Tengrism has been advocated among intellectual circles of the Turkic nations of Central Asia, including Tatarstan, Buryatia, Kyrgyzstan andKazakhstan, in the years following the dissolution of the Soviet Union (1990s to present).[9] It is still actively practiced and undergoing an organised revival inYakutia, Khakassia, Tuva, and other Turkic nations in Siberia. Burkhanism is a movement kindred to Tengrism concentrated in Altay.

Khukh and Tengri literally mean "blue" and "sky" in Mongolian and modern Mongolians still pray to "Munkh Khukh Tengri" ("Eternal Blue Sky"). Therefore Mongolia is sometimes poetically referred to by Mongolians as the "Land of Eternal Blue Sky" ("Munkh Khukh Tengriin Oron" in Mongolian). In modern Turkey Tengriism is also known as the Göktanrı dini, "Sky God religion",[10] Turkish "Gök" (sky) and "Tanrı" (God) corresponding to the Mongolian khukh (blue) and Tengri (sky), respectively.

In Tengriism, the meaning of life is seen as living in harmony with the surrounding world. Tengriist believers view their existence as sustained by the eternal blue Sky, Tengri, the fertile Mother-Earth, spirit Eje, and a ruler who is regarded as the holy spirit of the Sky. Heaven, Earth, the spirits of nature and the ancestors provide every need and protect all humans. By living an upright and respectful life, a human being will keep his world in balance and maximize his personal power Wind Horse.

Tengriism is actively practised in Sakha, Buryatia, Tuva and Mongolia in parallel withTibetan Buddhism and Burkhanism.[11]

In Turkey, among children, Moon is called Ay Dede (Moon The Grandfather) who is considered to be the moon-god living in the sixth floor of the sky. At nights, tales are being told about him to children by their parents for them to go to sleep. The nursery rhyme ay dede ay dede, senin evin nerede? (Grandfather Moon, Grandfather Moon, where is your home?) is popular among children.

Historical Tengrism surrounded the cult of the sky god and chief deity Tengri and incorporated elements of shamanism, animism, totemism andancestor worship. It was brought into Eastern Europe by the early Bulgars.[17] It lost its importance when the Uighuric kagans proclaimedManichaeism the state religion in the 8th century.[18]

Principles of Tengrism

• There exists one supreme God, Tengri. He is the unknowable One who knows everything, which is why Turks and Mongols say 'Only Tengri knows' /gagtskhuu Tenger medne/. He is the Judge of people's good and bad actions, which is why it is said 'Tengri will be angry if you sin' /Tenger khilegnene/. Tengri can bless a person richly but can also utterly destroy those whom he dislikes. His actions cannot be predicted. His ways are difficult to know.
  • Tengri is the intelligence and power behind all of nature. Everything is ultimately controlled by him, from the weather to the fate of individuals and nations, which is why Genghis Khan says in the Altan Tobchi: 'I have not become Lord thanks to my own bravery and strength, I have become Lord thanks to the love of our mighty father Tengri. I have defeated my enemies thanks to the assistance of our father Tengri. I have not become Khan thanks to my own all-embracing prowess. I have become Lord thanks to the love of our father Khan Tengri. I have defeated alien enemies thanks to the mercy of our father Khan Tengri.'
  • There exists many other spirits or 'angels' besides Tengri. These spirits are diverse. They can be good or bad or of mixed temperament. They can be gods residing in the upper heavenly world, wandering evil spirits from the underworld, spirits of the land, water, stars and planets or spirits of the ancestors. They can be in charge of certain tribes or of certain nations. Under Tengri these spirits all have some limited influence, but it is near impossible for normal people to contact them. Only chosen people can contact them. Chosen people can also do the same thing these spirits do, like send destructive thunderstorms on enemy soldiers (as occurs in the Secret History of the Mongols).
  • The spirits can harm people or act as agents in transmitting a message or prophecy about the future. In the Secret History of the Mongols it is said the spirits of the land and water of Northern China were angry about the slaughter of the local population and harmed the Mongol Ogedei Khan with an illness that left him in bed unable to speak. In the Secret History, a spirit called Zaarin transmits a prophecy about the future rise of Genghis Khan.
  • There is no 'one true religion'. Humanity has not reached full enlightenment. Nonetheless Tengri will not leave the guilty unpunished and the virtuous unrewarded. Those upright in spirit and righteous in thought are acceptable to Tengri, even if they followed different religions. Tengri has given different paths for man. A man may be Buddhist, Christian or Muslim, but only Tengri knows the righteous. A man may change his tribal allegiance but still be upright. Tribal customs can be changed if they are harmful to people, which is why Genghis Khan did away with many previous customs in order to ensure orderly government.
  • All people are weak and therefore shortcomings should be tolerated. Different religions and customs should be tolerated. Like the life of the nomads, peoples' lives are difficult enough and subject to the pressures of nature. No one is perfect before Tengri, which is why Genghis Khan said: 'If there is no means to prevent drunkenness, a man may become drunk thrice a month; if he oversteps this limit he makes himself guilty of a punishable offence. If he is drunk only twice a month, that is better — if only once, that is more praiseworthy. What could be better than that he should not drink at all? But where shall we find a man who never drinks? If, however, such a man is found, he deserves every respect.'

Important deities in Turkic mythology and Tengrism

Umay (also known as Umai; in Old Turkic: , Kazakh: Ұмай ана, Russian:Ума́й or Ымай ) is the goddess of fertility[1] and virginity in Turkic mythology andTengriism and as such related to women, mothers and children. Umay resembles earth-mother goddesses found in various other world religions.

The name appeared in the 8th-century inscription of Kül Tigin in the phrase Umay teg ögüm katun kutıŋa 'under the auspices of my mother who is like the goddess Umay'.

Umay is a protector of women and children. The oldest evidence is seen in the Orkhon monuments. From these it is understood that Umay was accepted as a mother and a guide. Also, khagans were thought to represent Kök Tengri. Khagan wives, katuns or hatuns, were considered Umays, too. With the help of 'Umay, katuns had babies, and these babies were the guarantee of the empire. According to Divanü Lügat’it-Türk, when women worship Umay, they have male babies. Turkicwomen tie strings attached with small cradles to will a baby from Umay. This belief can be seen with the Tungusic peoples in Southern Siberia and the Altay people. Umay is always depicted together with a child. There are only rare exceptions to this. It is believed that when Umay leaves a child for a long time, the child gets ill and shamans are involved to call Umay back. The smiling of a sleeping baby shows Umay is near it and crying means that Umay has left.

Erlik or Erlig, (in Hungarian mythology equivalent to Ördög) is the god of death and underworld in Turkic and Mongolian mythology.

In the myths of the Turko-Mongol peoples, Erlik was involved in the creation of humanity.[1] He slew the messenger-god, Maidere, and is a teacher of sin. He is sometimes represented by a totemic bear.

In Turkic mythology, Erlik was the deity of evil, darkness, lord of the lower world, and judge of the dead. He is known as the first of mankind, created by Ulgen. He wants to be equal to Ulgen, but is in a position inferior to him. Then he wanted to make his own land and was sent to the prison at the 9th layer of the earth and became opposed to the upper world, the realm of light.

The evil spirits created by Erlik cause misfortune, sickness, and death to mankind. These spirits are imagined as Erlik's assistants. Besides these, his 9 sons and daughters help their father in the way of evil. Erlik's daughters especially try to change a shaman's mind while he is attempting to reach Ulgen with their beauties. Erlik gives all kinds of sickness and wants sacrifices from the people. If they do not sacrifice to him, he catches the dead bodies of the people that he killed and takes them away to this lower world and then makes them his slaves. So, especially in the Altays, when sickness appears, people become scared of Erlik and sacrifice him a lot of animals.[1]

Last edited:
It is reported that Anver Pasha crossed Amu river, maybe wounded into Afghanistan, and vanished.

meryem_uzerli_hurrem_sultan-610x354.jpg

Last edited:
southern slavs were subject to constant turkic influence between 4-13. centuries AD, starting with huns and continuing through avars, kutrigurs, bulgars etc. but IMHO eastern slavs (i.e. russians, ukrains) were subject to more intense influence. there's a saying in russian that if you dig a little, you'll find some tatar (i.e. turkic) ancestor in every russian.
I see that quite many of the Russians have a bit of Asian faces and just yesterday we were talking about why the Russians we see here all have brown eyes and seeing a blue eyed Russian is a rare thing

The Proto-Bulgars were definitely Turkic. There are enough linguistic evidences that the Bulgars spoke a Oghuric Turkic language like Chuvashs. However they were absorbed, assimilated and Christianized by South Slavs but their ethnonym still survives in the modern Slavic-speaking Bulgarians
According to my Bulgarian friend there are too many common words between Turkish and Bulgarian, I guess some of them arent from Ottoman times, they even use cı-ci-çı-çi in the end of their words like çorapçı, also they use the word chorap, Macedonians on the other hand even use the words yok , doshek - yorgan - yastık. And in Bulgaria also in Macedonia there were Turkish Cumans and there are cities with the name '' Kumanova '' in both countries, one of Bulgarian princes in their history who revived the Bulgarian state was also a Kuman, no coincidence

actually thats what the russians are promoting and Kazan Tatars are buying :D Chuvash are the real Bulgars not Tatars

is armenia an obsession of yours? there is still alot of work in the economic union.I have no interest in azerbaijan-armenian fights.Had azeris not indulged in pogroms,mass murders,ethnic cleansing on armenians in baku and continued the universalist approach of USSR this nagarno-karabkh thing should not have happened.
armenia is a made up state and created by russians to stop the union of Azerbaijan to Turkey. We would be really glad if you really had no interest in Caucaus area completely!!!!

Interesting.
What's the opinion of central Asian turks about Russia, and Russians, in general? what's their opinion about us?

@rmi5 just to be clear, who is "us"

The same goes for the Turkic peoples in Russia like Chuvashes and Volga Tatars. Almost all Chuvashs and many Tatars can pass as Russian and also as Finno-Ugrics like Mari people or Mordovians. There was strong intermingling between Bulgars, Slavs and Finno-Ugrics in Russia though at the end Slavs became dominant.

reserved

Last edited:
@rmi5 just to be clear, who is "us"
reserved

Can you both evaluate for Turkey and Azerbaijan.

And if you have knowledge can you evaluate Kazaks opnion about Turkey. I know Kırgızistan are pro-Turkic.. but i have seen some comment from Kazaks saying we are not Turks but Arabs. We have no Turkic blood, etc...

Can you both evaluate for Turkey and Azerbaijan.

And if you have knowledge can you evaluate Kazaks opnion about Turkey. I know Kırgızistan are pro-Turkic.. but i have seen some comment from Kazaks saying we are not Turks but Arabs. We have no Turkic blood, etc...

And I saw many Turks calling Kazakhs assimilated into Russians, culturally and linguistically degenerated, not Turks etc. :)

And I saw many Turks calling Kazakhs assimilated into Russians, culturally and linguistically degenerated, not Turks etc. :)
Then I had the luck of meeting all the good kazakhs. The kazakh girl I met was a turco lover. she said we were same people and even told me I look like kazakh.

Then I had the luck of meeting all the good kazakhs. The kazakh girl I met was a turco lover. she said we were same people and even told me I look like kazakh.

But did you get her number, that is most important. ;-)

actually thats what the russians are promoting and Kazan Tatars are buying :D Chuvash are the real Bulgars not Tatars

armenia is a made up state and created by russians to stop the union of Azerbaijan to Turkey. We would be really glad if you really had no interest in Caucaus area completely!!!!

Kazan Tatars are actually the true Volga Bulgars. Their ancestors were Bulgars who adopted Islam and adopted a Kipchak language through the elite dominance by the Golden horde. The Chuvashs never adopted Islam and they have also never adopted a Kipchak language unlike Volga Tatars. The ancestors of the Chuvashs were Suars whose language were closely related to the Volga Bulgars

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom