What's new

Turkic World Photos/News/Discussions.

Camel Wrestling(Deve Güreşi), a popular local tradition in Mediterranean and Aegean regions, camels used in wrestling are Bactrian/Dromedary hybrids called "Tülü"(means "Woolly")
87031,d2.png
deve_guresi_sevenlere_federasyon_catisi_h4712.jpg

This is first time In my life that I'm watching camels fighting each other's.

Not that I know about. I have not seen those types of camels in the Arab world either. But I once ate camel meat in Egypt and it was quite tasty. Do you eat them in Turkey or what?

No we don't eat them as far as i know.

I have only seen them in some beaches, European tourists love them... i don't like camels, they smell a lot. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevertheless it was a very correct reply. It actually only took me 2-3 minutes. I know what you tried to start there.

Ok, that's interesting. I don't actually know which camels you can eat or not or how it is.

I thought camel meat was consumed oftenly at Saudi Arabia ? or at least thats what I heard.

I thought camel meat was consumed oftenly at Saudi Arabia ? or at least thats what I heard.

What do you mean by openly? As openly as poultry, lamb, fish, cattle and wild meat is consumed. It's not a stable dish at all and only eaten among certain people in certain regions of the country. Mainly among the older generation in Najd that consider young camel meat a delicacy. Personally I find camel meat quit tasty but I have only tasted it once and it probably depends on the dish and quality of the meat.

Camel meat is very popular in Egypt though and that's also where I tasted it firstly.

I have never heard about Camel meat in Turkey, but horse meat is quiet popular among Turkic people though (except Turkey and Azerbaijan).

In the Arab world people do not eat horses since some consider it somehow of a sin. I know other people do as well, including many European people. Horses are revered animals in the Arab world. Arabian horses and all that.

But wild meat is consumed a lot as is fish in my part of the country (Hijaz) aside from lamb and poultry which are the most popular meats.

What do you mean by openly?
Well, there is a huge difference between ''oftenly'' and ''openly'' :)

In the Arab world people do not eat horses since some consider it somehow of a sin. I know other people do as well, including many European people. Horses are revered animals in the Arab world. Arabian horses and all that.
The same reason why it isnt beeing consumed in Turkey too.

Well, there is a huge difference between ''oftenly'' and ''openly'' :)

The same reason why it isnt beeing consumed in Turkey too.

I read it as often but somehow I wrote openly. Or my iPhone did that actually.

Yes, many people feel the same way. Outside the French in Europe at least.:lol:

Anyway to finish this camel talk off then camel meat has very little fat due to the camel storing all the fat in its lump. So it's supposed to be very healthy meat.

Just read it on Google.:lol:

Anyway I am yet to try horse meat and I am not sure if I could since I really like horses. Rabbit meat and wild meat in general is very popular in KSA and the Arab world and I remember not wanting to eat rabbits when smaller. Now I eat them often because it's so damn tasty.

Maybe the same could happen if I tried horse meat but I doubt it since it is known as rough meat.

Kabak Oyunu,(Kabak:Pumpkin Oyun:Game), was a popular horseback game in Ottoman Empire and possibly other Turkic states and neighbouring countries, its probably continued its existing in paralell to horse archery culture in the empire, when its gradually died out in 17th-18th centuries, Kabak is probably died out together with it. Even after the mass usage of firearms, bow culture is continued its existence for centuries, and only died out at the start of republic because of neglect.

Kabak rather then training was a game of competition and entertainment, oftenly played at celebrations and wedding ceremonies etc. basically there was a pole in the square, and a round thing at the top of it, horsemen would pass near it galloping, while passing near pole they would turn their back, shoot their arrow to up and try to hit the kabak.

Famous picture of Murad III playing Kabak
sultan+murat+2+kabak+at%C4%B1%C5%9F%C4%B1+atl%C4%B1+ok%C3%A7uluk.jpg

Other pics
Kabak+ok%C3%A7ulu%C4%9Fu+g%C3%B6kmen+alt%C4%B1nkulp.jpg
EOCHA+2010+atl%C4%B1+ok%C3%A7uluk+kabak+oyunu+almanya.jpg
EOCHA+2010+atli+okculuk+kabak+oyunu+gokmen+altinkulp.jpg

Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan look to EC145 co-operation
Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan have agreed to strengthen their military-industrial co-operation in the latest in a series of accords entered into by Baku as it looks to enhance its national defence capabilities.

The agreement, announced by Kazakh state information services on 15 May, is expected to focus on maritime security issues plus Azerbaijan's possible purchase of Airbus Helicopters EC145s constructed by the Eurocopter Kazakhstan Engineering joint venture.

Kazakhstan has recently revealed its aim to raise localised production and assembly of EC145 helicopters by 30% by 2020. It has assembled 20 EC145s since production began in the country in 2011.

Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan look to EC145 co-operation - IHS Jane's 360

Let's look at the ancestors oder modern Volga Tatars

Volga Bulgaria, or Volga–Kama Bulghar, was a historic Islamic Bulgar state that existed between the seventh and thirteenth centuries around the confluence of the Volga and Kama rivers, in what is now European Russia. The population was mostly Bulgars, who had conquered Finno-Ugrics andTurkic speakers of the region. The population had been pagan, but Islam was adopted as the state religion in the early tenth century.

Origin and Creation of the State[edit]
Information from first-hand sources on Volga Bulgaria is rather sparse. As no authentic Bulgar records have survived, most of our information comes from contemporary Arabic, Persian, Indian or Russian sources. Some information is provided by excavations.

It is thought that the territory of Volga Bulgaria was originally settled by Finno-Ugric peoples, including Mari people. The Bulgars of Kubrat's son and appointed heir Batbayan Bezmer moved from the Azov region in about AD 660, commanded by the Kazarig Khagan Kotrag to whom he had surrendered. They reached Idel-Ural in the eighth century, where they became the dominant population at the end of the 9th century, uniting other tribes of different origin which lived in the area.[1] Some Bulgar tribes, however, continued westward and eventually settled along the Danube River, in what is now known as Bulgaria proper, where they created a confederation with theSlavs, adopting a South Slavic language and the Eastern Orthodox faith.

Most scholars agree that the Volga Bulgars were subject to the KhazarianEmpire until the mid 10th century, when the Bulgars no longer paid tribute to them.[2]Threat from Khazaria was completely gone after Khazaria's destruction and conquest by Sviatoslav in the late 10th century, after which Volga Bulgaria grew greatly in size and power. Sometime in the late 9th century unification processes started, and the capital was established at Bolghar (also spelled Bulgar) city, 160 km south from modern Kazan. Most scholars doubt, however, that the state could assert independence from the Khazars until the latter were annihilated by Svyatoslav of Rus in 965.

Conversion to Islam and further Statehood[edit]
Islam was adopted as the state religion in the early tenth century, under Almish ibn Shilki Yiltawar.[3] Ibn Fadlan was dispatched by the Abbasid Caliph al-Muqtadir in 922/3 to establish relations and bring qadis and teachers of Islamic law to Volga Bulgaria, as well as help in building a fort and a mosque.[4] The Volga Bulgarians attempted to convertVladimir I of Kiev to Islam; however Vladimir rejected the notion of Russians giving up wine, which he declared was the "very joy of their lives".[5]

Commanding the Volga River in its middle course, the state controlled much of trade between Europe and Asia prior to the Crusades (which made other trade routes practicable). The capital, Bolghar, was a thriving city, rivalling in size and wealth with the greatest centres of the Islamic world. Trade partners of Bolghar included from Vikings,Bjarmland, Yugra and Nenets in the north to Baghdad and Constantinople in the south, from Western Europe to China in the East. Other major cities included Bilär, Suar(Suwar), Qaşan (Kashan) and Cükätaw (Juketau). Modern cities Kazan and Yelabugawere founded as Volga Bulgaria's border fortresses.

Some of the Volga Bulgarian cities still have not been found, but they are mentioned in Russian sources. They are: Ashli (Oshel), Tuxçin (Tukhchin), İbrahim (Bryakhimov), Taw İle. Some of them were ruined during and after the Golden Horde invasion.

The Russian principalities to the west posed the only tangible military threat. In the 11th century, the country was devastated by several Russian raids. Then, at the turn of the 12th and 13th centuries, the rulers of Vladimir (notably Andrew the Pious and Vsevolod III), anxious to defend their eastern border, systematically pillaged Bulgarian cities. UnderRussian pressure from the west, the Bulgars had to move their capital from Bolghar to Bilär.

DEMOGRAPHICS

A large part of the region's population included Turkic or Iranian groups such as Suars,Barsil, Bilars, Baranjars and part of Burtas (by ibn Rustah). Modern Chuvashes descend fromSuars and Kazan Tatars descend from the Volga Bulgars.[citation needed] Another part comprised Finnic and Magyar (Asagel and Pascatir) tribes, from which Bisermäns probably descend.[6] Ibn Fadlan refers to Volga Bulgaria as Saqaliba which is a general Arabic term for Slavic people. Other researches tie the term to the ethnic name Scythian (or Saka inPersian).[7]

DECLINE

In September 1223 near Samara an advance guard of Genghis Khan's army under command of Uran, son of Subutai Bahadur, entered Volga Bulgaria but was defeated in the battle of Samara Bend. In 1236, theMongols returned and in five years had subjugated the whole country, which at that time was suffering from internal war. Henceforth Volga Bulgaria became a part of the Ulus Jochi, later known as the Golden Horde. It was divided into several principalities; each of them became a vassal of the Golden Horde and received some autonomy. By the 1430s, the Khanate of Kazan was established as the most important of these principalities.

According to some historians, over 80% of the country's population was killed during the invasion. The remaining population mostly relocated to the northern areas (territories of modern Chuvashia and Tatarstan). Some autonomous duchies appeared in those areas. The steppe areas of Volga Bulgaria may have been settled by nomadic Kipchaks and Mongols, and the agricultural development suffered a severe decline.

Over time, the cities of Volga Bulgaria were rebuilt and became trade and craft centers of the Golden Horde. Some Bulgarians, primarily masters and craftsmen, were forcibly moved to Sarai and other southern cities of the Golden Horde. Volga Bulgaria remained a center of agriculture and handicraft.

Volga Bulgaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Volga Bulgaria
Itil Bulğar

7th century–1240s

Volga Bulgaria (green), c. 1200.
CapitalBolghar
BilärLanguagesBulgar
Suar, Barsil, Bilar,BaranjaGovernmentMonarchyRuler - Mid-7th centuryKotrag - Early 10th centuryAlmish Yiltawar - Early 13th centuryGhabdula ChelbirHistorical eraMiddle Ages - Established7th century - Conquered by theMongols1240sToday part of
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
Tatarstan
Chuvashia
Warning: Value not specified for "common_name"

Last edited:
The Oghur Turkic languages are an interesring and special case for the Turkic language family. The Oghur languages broke off from Common Turkic languages like Oghuz, Kipchak, Karluk and Siberian Turkic around 500 BC. The only surviving language of the Oghur languages is the Chuvash language which is the most distinct Turkic language

The Oghur, or Bulgar languages (also spelled Ogur, Oghur, Oguric; Bulghar,Bolgar, and variants; also known as Lir-Turkic), are a branch of the Turkic language family. It was historically spoken in the Hunnic Empire, Old Great Bulgaria (Magna Bulgaria/Onoguria), and later in Danube Bulgar Khanate (Danube Bulgaria) and Volga Bulgaria. Its only extant member is the Chuvash language. This branch arguably broke off from Common Turkic perhaps as early as 500 BCE.[2]

It was thus presumably the language spoken in the historical Onogurs tribal confederation, including the Huns, Bulgars, the Khazars and the Eurasian Avars, but it is uncertain whether Chuvash is directly descended from any of these, or a separate branch within this dialect group (Johanson 1998).

Oghur
Geographic
distribution:Astrakhan Oblast,Chuvashia, Dagestan
Linguistic classification:Turkic
  • Oghur
Subdivisions:
Oghur languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom