What's new

Should PAF be looking at EJ200 for Thunder

EJ-200 can be tweaked for single engine bird as Russia did with RD-33 of Mig-29.

The thing is EJ-200 has more life then JFT it self, its more reliable and much less maintenance is needed, but all its benefits has their cost too.

RR will do even the simplest of things in the most complex convoluted way possible.

Nothing they do is simple or cheap in the long run.

But engine development is not easy and rule of thumb is twice the cost/ twice the time compared with air frame development. Even simple mods takes years to implement.

Ive been searching but all I could find is EJ-200 has life of 2000hrs. Can anyone do a search and advise if they find a better number as it is usually quoted western engines have twice the life compared to rest. RD-93 in PAF service is uprated so its down to 2200hrs from 4000hrs. RD-93MA/RD-33MA is expected to be at 4000hrs while retaining enhanced thrust. Plus weight of both WS-13E and RD-93MA are expected to come down to EJ-200 range.
So can safely assume there is no more benefit in EJ-200 compared to RD-93MA. Only spec left is fuel consumption but that is something a expert can evaluate better.

Kindly go through my post on PDF where I have posted and discussed about EJ-200.

You are not good in researching or you were just lying about engine life hours of EJ-200, because official website clearly mentions 6000 hours for EJ-200.

MENU
More
ej200-banner.jpg

Power. Precision. Performance.
Delivering power to the Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft

The EJ200 brings operational availability and readiness to customers. It’s an engine that’s proven to deliver; combining power, precision and performance.

Technology
Exceeding expectations
The EJ200 is smaller and simpler in layout than its contemporaries, but still delivers an unprecedented power-to-weight ratio.

It’s a collaborative engine that combines the expertise of Rolls-Royce, MTU, Avio and ITP, who formed in the late 1980s as EUROJET Turbo GmbH. The first series production Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft were flown in February 2003.

In service, the EJ200 exceeds or matches the most demanding international standards for operational support required by the US, Europe and other International customers.

ej200-eurofighter.jpg

aircraft.png

Engine flying hours
1,000+
fan.png

Engines delivered to customers
horsepower.png

High pressure (HP) compressor stages
Providing performance, reliability and maintainability

e200.jpg

Performance

The EJ200 exceeds performance thanks to its:
  • Next generation technology
  • Power for multi-role capability
  • High thrust-to-weight ratio, making it ideal for the most demanding military aircraft applications
Aftermarket Support and Services
Pioneering next-generation, digitally enabled solutions

We continue to be at the forefront of developing and providing comprehensive service packages for managing engines throughout their life-cycle.

https://www.rolls-royce.com/products-and-services/defence-aerospace/combat-jets/ej200.aspx

Last edited:
Kindly go through my post on PDF where I have posted and discussed about EJ-200.

You are not good in researching or you were just lying about engine life hours of EJ-200, because official website clearly mentions 6000 hours for EJ-200.

MENU
More
ej200-banner.jpg

Power. Precision. Performance.
Delivering power to the Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft

The EJ200 brings operational availability and readiness to customers. It’s an engine that’s proven to deliver; combining power, precision and performance.

Technology
Exceeding expectations
The EJ200 is smaller and simpler in layout than its contemporaries, but still delivers an unprecedented power-to-weight ratio.

It’s a collaborative engine that combines the expertise of Rolls-Royce, MTU, Avio and ITP, who formed in the late 1980s as EUROJET Turbo GmbH. The first series production Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft were flown in February 2003.

In service, the EJ200 exceeds or matches the most demanding international standards for operational support required by the US, Europe and other International customers.

ej200-eurofighter.jpg

aircraft.png

Engine flying hours
1,000+
fan.png

Engines delivered to customers
horsepower.png

High pressure (HP) compressor stages
Providing performance, reliability and maintainability

e200.jpg

Performance

The EJ200 exceeds performance thanks to its:
  • Next generation technology
  • Power for multi-role capability
  • High thrust-to-weight ratio, making it ideal for the most demanding military aircraft applications
Aftermarket Support and Services
Pioneering next-generation, digitally enabled solutions

We continue to be at the forefront of developing and providing comprehensive service packages for managing engines throughout their life-cycle.

https://www.rolls-royce.com/products-and-services/defence-aerospace/combat-jets/ej200.aspx

I had searched for ej200 service life on google and got the below link for 2000 hrs.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ej200-work-to-focus-on-cost-cuts-147271/

If I had searched for flying life instead would have gotten a different result and the link that you shared.

The link I was quoting 2000hrs from is a old link and I doubted it would be correct that is why asked for someone else to search and advise. I have no reason to lie as I am not a sales rep for a engine competitor :P.

Thank you for the correction so EJ200 is superior indeed.

Last edited:
This engine is nor directly available for JF17, but it will likely come indirectly via Turkey.

This engine is nor directly available for JF17, but it will likely come indirectly via Turkey.

UK will sale it to Pakistan if we can afford it. They are ready to have more military cooperation if Pakistan can afford, even Type-26 ship is available for PN.

Check cost per unit for Euro Engine VS RD 93 ,Even RD is not best engine but it perfect to fit the bill and we can always have 2/3 in price for 1

What's the point of looking at something where the fear of Sanctions will always remain. I thought the whole point for JF-17 was that it is and will remain Sanction free.

It is a great engine with superb dry thrust. It will make thunder a much better plane.

Check cost per unit for Euro Engine VS RD 93 ,Even RD is not best engine but it perfect to fit the bill and we can always have 2/3 in price for 1

Hi,

The difference in price of the Euro engine and the RD93---that money would be better invested in a better EW package and development of the JF17---.

Better EW package would save the aircraft from the enemy attack and have better capabilities of striking at the enemy---.

Paf is better off with an upgraded version of the RD93---or the chinese engine---.

Why should we??? when we can make our own with a joint venture with China in the future.

I heard of the WS-13.

Stupid to go to a third source.

Chinese are more reliable and don't do strings attached.

Why should we??? when we can make our own with a joint venture with China in the future.

I heard of the WS-13.

Hi,

Fighter aircraft engine is a totally different breed of animal that is completely un-known to the majority of the public---and those who claim to---not many know much about it either---.

the best bet for now is the RD93 or if there is an upgrade of this engine coming---.

Pakistan should learn from India in this respect... they should deal only when local manufacturing is offered by suppliers.

I heard of the WS-13.

Engine technology is very complex. It will take China some time for the tech to mature and for it to produce quality engines. So not going to haplen any time soon.
A

Engine technology is very complex. It will take China some time for the tech to mature and for it to produce quality engines. So not going to haplen any time soon.
A
I know. So it is better to use Russian Engines RD93 and its upgrades until the Chinese alternative is available.

Right.

I know. So it is better to use Russian Engines RD93 and its upgrades until the Chinese alternative is available.

Right.
I dont think PAF will change over to Chinese engines till such time that their engines are superior in thrust, reliability, MTBO and cheap.
Those may seem plausoble to you but it is a big ask.
A

Back
Top Bottom