Saudi Arabia to award nuclear reactor contract by end 2018 - official

Saif al-Arab

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia to award nuclear reactor contract by end 2018 - official

Reuters Staff

RIYADH, Oct 10 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia plans to award a construction contract for its first nuclear reactors by the end of 2018, a senior government official said on Tuesday.

“With sponsorship from the highest levels in the state, the contract will be signed by the end of 2018,” Maher al Odan, the chief atomic energy officer of King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy, told a news conference in the capital Riyadh. (Reporting By Reem Shamseddine; Writing by Noah Browning; Editing by Gareth Jones)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-wine-country-tourism-lifeblood-idUSKBN1CH34U

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-o-s/saudi-arabia.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_energy_in_Saudi_Arabia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Abdullah_City_for_Atomic_and_Renewable_Energy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_program_of_Saudi_Arabia

The bid will start next month, and the winner(s) will be awarded the contract by the end of 2018.. this makes it a one year thorough study of the bids..

The bid will start next month, and the winner(s) will be awarded the contract by the end of 2018.. this makes it a one year thorough study of the bids..

It will be extremely interesting to see who the winner(s) will be. The decision could have a big impact on other areas that are not purely related to nuclear energy. If I had to bet, I would go with either the Russian, French, Chinese or South Korean option or a combination of those 4.

I am hoping for the Russian and Chinese options.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be extremely interesting to see who the winner(s) will be. The decision could have a big impact on other areas that are not purely related to nuclear energy. If I had to bet, I would go with either the Russian, French, Chinese or South Korean option or a combination of those 4.

I am hoping for the Russian and Chinese options.
I agree with the Russians and Chinese options, I'll add South korea.. if for nothing, it will be for the speed, quality and efficiency shown in the UAE, and I'll put France as a last option if not eliminate it totally.. just because of what has happened to Osiraq and the rumours about French devices sending signals to Usraeli attacking planes for pinpoint precision on the reactor's structure!!!

I agree with the Russians and Chinese options, I'll add South korea.. if for nothing, it will be for the speed, quality and efficiency shown in the UAE, and I'll put France as a last option if not eliminate it totally.. just because of what has happened to Osiraq and the rumours about French devices sending signals to Usraeli attacking planes for pinpoint precision on the reactor's structure!!!

I am in complete agreement. While the French are leading in Europe (excluding the Russians of course), I would not trust them at all as you wrote. We saw what occurred in Iraq.

The Russian and Chinese options should definitely be prioritized and depending on the performance of Barakah in the UAE, the South Korean option should not be excluded.

In fact a Russian/Chinese/South Korean combo might not be a bad option!

I hope it becomes a joint-venture between Saudi Arabia and China. Hopefully the Chinese government makes a big offer/bid for this one. :cheers:

That would be welcome news and in line with the ever increasing Saudi Arabian/Arab-Chinese ties.

Personally I believe that KSA will not settle on just 1 bid.

40 Saudi Arabian engineers have been sent to South Korea.

@The SC it seems that KEPCO might be one of the winners.

Back in August it was reported that KSA has held talks with 6 countries (USA, Japan, South Korea, China, Russia and UK)

That would be welcome news and in line with the ever increasing Saudi Arabian/Arab-Chinese ties.

Personally I believe that KSA will not settle on just 1 bid.

40 Saudi Arabian engineers have been sent to South Korea.

@The SC it seems that KEPCO might be one of the winners.

Back in August it was reported that KSA has held talks with 6 countries (USA, Japan, South Korea, China, Russia and UK)

No mention of France!

There is already cooperation on the SK SMART reactor, so at least 4 rectors will be build by SK.. the remaing 12 will be split between Russia and China.. or maybe SK will build 8.. up till now Russian reactors are almost in the game.. there is some cooperation with China, but do not know to what extent.. IMO the bid will be a Multi-bid, since it involves 16 reactors and the winners, not the winner, will get the contracts to build them..

No mention of France!

There is already cooperation on the SK SMART reactor, so at least 4 rectors will be build by SK.. the remaing 12 will be split between Russia and China.. or maybe SK will build 8.. up till now Russian reactors are almost in the game.. there is some cooperation with China, but do not know to what extent.. IMO the bid will be a Multi-bid, since it involves 16 reactors and the winners, not the winner, will get the contracts to build them..

So far most information has been rumors but the news about Saudi Arabian engineers (nuclear among others) being sent to South Korea is more or less confirmed news.

I have always been saying, given the amount of nuclear power plants that are going to be built, that it would make most sense not to stick solely to one option from the same country but sign deals with several. That is where South Korea and hopefully China and Russia as well, will show up. From a personal/political viewpoint, I really want to see the Chinese option materialize at least.

@Chinese-Dragon bro, you don't have a clue if there has been talk (in Chinese media) about Saudi Arabian interest in this field?

I will tag some other Chinese friends while at it:

@ChineseTiger1986 @Pangu @Wholegrain @SinoSoldier etc. (forgot the other ones currently - it's late here).

So far most information has been rumors but the news about Saudi Arabian engineers (nuclear among others) being sent to South Korea is more or less confirmed news.

I have always been saying, given the amount of nuclear power plants that are going to be built, that it would make most sense not to stick solely to one option from the same country but sign deals with several. That is where South Korea and hopefully China and Russia as well, will show up. From a personal/political viewpoint, I really want to see the Chinese option materialize at least.
The Saudi Arabian nuclear engineers sent to SK is a confirmed news, no doubt about that.. they were sent there for training on the SMART reactor technologies, and were back home a while ago where they have started work on the project which might be at 40% completion by now..if not more.. if this is another batch..it might be for the SK 1200 to 1400 MW reactors..
Yes of course China will bid..it has a lot of experience in building nuclear reactors.. I also wish they'll get a part of the deal, but the competition is quite tough, mostly from the Russians and to some extent_speed wise_ from SK.. still, China has a lot of expertise too..

By the end of 2018 uranium reserves will be explored in 9 different regions of KSA.

DMKmcMxW0AEJ8ra.jpg

Just a little reminder of how rich KSA really is in not only fossils fuels but minerals as well:

KSA reserves uranium (PDF)

Uranium from Phosphates

Isn't that bit late now? considering mining require another 2 years!

Not sure if I understood you correctly brother. Too late for what exactly?

The "deadline" is 2030 where the planned 16 nuclear power plants (planned so far) will be ready.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-o-s/saudi-arabia.aspx

As for the news in this thread, it is referring to the first contract. It is expected that there will be more than just 1 contract. The South Korean option looks more or less final but there are also the Russian and Chinese ones. I am not sure what they are planning precisely (none of us are - expect for a limited number of decision makers and experts) but excavating uranium and phosphate in your own country is a wise step.

Not sure if I understood you correctly brother. Too late for what exactly?

The "deadline" is 2030 where the planned 16 nuclear power plants (planned so far) will be ready.

As for the news in this thread, it is referring to the first contract. It is expected that there will be more than just 1 contract. The South Korean option looks more or less final but there are also the Russian and Chinese ones. I am not sure what they are planning precisely (none of us are - expect for a limited number of decision makers and experts) but excavating uranium and phosphate in your own country is a wise step.
It is also one of the steps (in fact the first step) of the full nuclear cycle that KSA intends to master..

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom