What's new

Pakistani Biryani/Nihari v Indian Biryani/Nihari

I’m hungry . Luckily I live in Birmingham and can use deliveroo to bring me it for breakfast .
🤔

Ah jeez. A white guy is going to tell us which nihari is better?

I think he’s qualified to review the McDonald’s, but bandar ki jaane adhrak da sawaad...
Agree.
Indian themselves accept pakistanis make nonveg food much better. In India because meat dishes are not as popular as in Pakistan. Whenever some Hindu overthere crave for some meat or try to secretly eat it from family he try to find a Muslim chef in India to cook it :)

We only got guju places here that’s why bro. I’m pretty sure other Indian states give a good account of themselves.

No they don't i had been to some South Indian restaurant. I wanted to vomit after their food, they don't know how to cook, period.

Our taste palettes are different. Indians will like their food better and Pakistanis will like our own food better.

Even if it’s the same dish preparation and spices differ.

I don't know about USA at present, but here in the UK, Pakistani own restuarants are very popular, on weekends they are jampacked, even though most of them do not offer or allow alcohol, but many whites go there regularly for the taste of the food. While Indian own, which are very few, are relatively empty and not that popular. Rest of them are Bangladeshi owned, less said about them is better.

There is one big difference in how religion has caused different attitudes towards food in India and Pakistan
I have observed that serving only vegetarian food to guests in India is normal while the same in most households would make you seem like a cheapster and disrespectful towards guests
Rich or poor meat is always on the menu when you invite guests for dinner but I havent observed that to be the case for guests in India

This depends a lot on the hosts themselves. Vegetarian hosts are unlikely to serve non-veg food because apart from not eating meat, they may also be uncomfortable handling it. Some, like my wife, are ok handling cooked meat ordered from outside, while some like my brother's wife even cooks meat although she's herself a vegetarian. If the hosts are meat eaters and know that the guests also eat meat, then it is very likely that the menu will consist of meat. In my friend circle I am known as a meat eater and whenever I am invited there will always be at least one meat dish.

Religion also plays a role. Some weddings are sans meat because there are rituals involved and it is considered offensive to place meat in the same venue. Some will compensate by having meat in the reception event where there are no rituals. Also differs from state to state. Bengalis and South Indians are not so fastidious about avoiding meat in weddings. Kerala and AP/Telangana people are big time meat eaters and cannot imagine their major functions without meat.

Agree.
Indian themselves accept pakistanis make nonveg food much better. In India because meat dishes are not as popular as in Pakistan. Whenever some Hindu overthere crave for some meat or try to secretly eat it from family he try to find a Muslim chef in India to cook it :)
This is a simplification and maybe you are speaking out of your experience abroad. I haven't been to UK or US so I don't know what sort of restaurants Indians are operating there. Maybe they have carved a niche for themselves in veggie food space and that leads to stereotyping. Much of Indian non-veg food is too spicy for foreign palettes and will never see wholesale adoption there. Tweaked versions will just not work.

It is also a stereotype that if one wants to eat meat he has to do so secretly and get it made by a Muslim chef. This may be true in some baniya families in the cow belt. The cooks in South India, Bengal, Maharashtra, Goa are overwhelmingly non-Muslim. Not out of discrimination, but for the simple fact that Hindus in these communities have a tradition of eating meat and have no dependence on Muslim chefs.

Nahari and Changezi are some of the best foods you will find in Delhi.

Bangalore and Hyderabad, Kerala have a lot of varieties in their curries, and mind blowing biryanis.
Food so perfect, you won't expect better.

Let me educate you guys a bit.

Nihari is originally from India, probably around Delhi or present day UP or thereabouts, during the era of the Mughals.

Karachi’s beef Nihari scene is the best. Sabri Nihari and Zahid Nihari are up there. These guys forefathers are originally from India.

Coming to actual Nihari, it comes with Nalli (bone marrow) and you could add Magaz (brain) to it. Add lemon, ginger etc as you see fit.

By the way who the hell eats Mutton or Chicken nihari.

Some popular franchise use camel meat, but I am not sure if that’s really the case.

Let me educate you guys a bit.

Nihari is originally from India, probably around Delhi or present day UP or thereabouts, during the era of the Mughals.

Karachi’s beef Nihari scene is the best. Sabri Nihari and Zahid Nihari are up there. These guys forefathers are originally from India.

Coming to actual Nihari, it comes with Nalli (bone marrow) and you could add Magaz (brain) to it. Add lemon, ginger etc as you see fit.

By the way who the hell eats Mutton or Chicken nihari.

Fun fact, some popular franchise use camel meat, but I am not sure if that’s the case.

I like mutton nihari because I like bakra in general. And regarding the nalli, I agree.

When I was in Pakistan, this is all I ate. One of the best, beats nihari hands down.

Jawed and Zahid Nihari of Karachi... he went to Islamabad for street food ? really ? its like going Waffle House for some spicy and tasty food.

I like mutton nihari because I like bakra in general. And regarding the nalli, I agree.

Mutton nihari is perfectly acceptable. Chicken nihari is no no. You simply can't cook chicken that long without destroying it. In fact I don't recall any place serving chicken nihari. But then some Johnny-come-lately can do anything in the name of innovation. There are people selling fish haleem too :suicide:

I disagree, but to each his own.

Mutton nihari is perfectly acceptable. Chicken nihari is no no. You simply can't cook chicken that long without destroying it. In fact I don't recall any place serving chicken nihari. But then some Johnny-come-lately can do anything in the name of innovation. There are people selling fish haleem too :suicide:
You can actually. Get a desi kukkar chicken and you’ll see it more sturdier than a young goat mutton.

Fish haleem??? 🤣

Fish haleem??? 🤣

This travesty makes its way onto the food scene during Ramazan when chefs are tripping over each other to 'introduce-something-new-this-year'. Thanks to social media, even non-Muslims are thronging to Ramzan night markets to eat and this is 'customization' done for those who don't fancy red meat much. Chicken haleem itself is an abomination and fish haleem is something uglier which rears its head only (thankfully) for a few weeks of the year. I can understand that chicken is much cheaper and cost could be a factor, but fish is not even cheap.

This is a simplification and maybe you are speaking out of your experience abroad. I haven't been to UK or US so I don't know what sort of restaurants Indians are operating there. Maybe they have carved a niche for themselves in veggie food space and that leads to stereotyping. Much of Indian non-veg food is too spicy for foreign palettes and will never see wholesale adoption there. Tweaked versions will just not work.

It is also a stereotype that if one wants to eat meat he has to do so secretly and get it made by a Muslim chef. This may be true in some baniya families in the cow belt. The cooks in South India, Bengal, Maharashtra, Goa are overwhelmingly non-Muslim. Not out of discrimination, but for the simple fact that Hindus in these communities have a tradition of eating meat and have no dependence on Muslim chefs.
I think this is what differentiates an authentic "Indian" food from others

In Pakistan, not many would describe our food as "spicy", except for some dishes ofcourse
It's more creamy, meaty

I noticed the difference cause karachi food is spicy for us, like my uncle got ulcer in Karachi cause the food was so spicy, not that it was bad - it was top quality but more spicy than what you'd experience in rest of the country

Back
Top Bottom