What's new

Pakistan Navy's Surface Combatant Procurement

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Well, there has been a lot of discussion regarding additional surface combatants or something along the line of the F-22p frigate. People believe that F-22p might be the Type 054 (stealth frigate).. or at least pretty darn close to it in design and technology. I was wondering what were your thoughts on this.. anybody following it?

Chinese Type 054.
9f248e131bdf1da6f5f81306627dc0f6.jpg

Jalalat class FAC - 4 commissioned so far, using C-802. (Off topic, but informative)

Tariq class FFG - each equipped with 6 celled LY-60N SAM, with range of 13km, speed of mach 2.5, also mentionned that PN is looking to purchase Type 054 FFG from China.

This is a summary of the topic on F-22P

- 4 F-22P, 3 built in HD and 1 in Karachi

- Latest model of F-22P is no longer using 100 mm main gun, but AK-176M main gun. This gun is considered by PN as the fastest in the world

- F-22P uses some RCS reduction concept from 054

- Displacement is 2500 tonnes and max speed is 29 knots

- It uses C-802 and 2 China produced 30 mm CIWS

Webby, i believe the F-22P is equal to the Type 053H2G/H3 Jiangwei Class Missile Frigate. before the latest agreement for supply of 4 F-22Ps, Pak and China has agreed to a contract (and 1 platform was built) before it was cancelled due to lack of funds. the ship was inducted in the chinese navy.

Type 053H2G/3 Specifications

Last updated: 22 June 2007

The Type 053H2G (NATO codename: Jiangwei class) and the subsequent Type 053H3 (NATO codename: Jiangwei-II class) are the multirole missile frigates introduced by the PLA Navy in the 1990s as successors to its Type 053H (Jianghu class) frigates. The PLA Navy’s first real ‘multirole’ frigates equipped with air defence missile and shipborne helicopter, the Jiangwei class represented a significant improvement over the previous Chinese-built frigates in terms of performance and capabilities. A total of 14 hulls were constructed between 1988 and 2006.

Shanghai-based Hudong Shipyard (now Hudong-Zhonghua Shipyard) began to construct four Type 052H2G missile frigates for the PLA Navy in the late 1980s, with the first-of-class launched in June 1990. Between 1988 and 1994, a total of four hulls (539~542) were constructed under the Type 053H2G standard, equipped with a six-cell HQ-61 air defence missile system and six YJ-8 anti-ship missiles. The last hull was commissioned in July 1994.

In 1998, an improved variant designated Type 053H3 by the PLA Navy began construction at Hudong Shipyard in 1998, and the production was later expanded to Huangpu Shipyard in Guangzhou. Codenamed by Western intelligence as Jiangwei-II class, this variant featured improved systems, including a 8-cell HQ-7 air defence missile system and eight improved YJ-83 anti-ship missiles. A total of 10 ships (521~524, 527, 528, 564~567) were built for the PLA Navy between 1998 and 2005, with the last three hulls (567, 527, and 528) slightly different in weapon and radar configurations.

The Jiangwei class is a versatile combatant, effective for a range of missions including coastal patrol, surface strike, antisubmarine warfare, and other general duties in offshore waters. The ship bears limited capability to operate in ‘blue-water’ but lacks long-range air defence means against airborne threats. The production of the Jiangwei class ceased in 2004 and was replaced by the much larger and more capable Type 054 Jiangkai class.

Weapon Systems (chinese) - PN will have its modifications.

Systems Quantity Type 053H2G Type 053H3 Description
YJ-8 2 X three-cell launcher
6 missiles Yes Anti-ship missile; active radar-homing to 80km at Mach 0.9 (Mach 1.6~2.0 in final approach), warhead 165kg, sea-skimming
YJ-83 2 X four-cell launcher
8 missiles Yes Anti-ship missile; active radar-homing to 150km at Mach 0.9 (Mach 1.6~2.0 in final approach), warhead 165kg, sea-skimming
HQ-61B 1 X six-cell launcher
6 missiles Yes Air defence missile, semi-active radar-homing to 8km at Mach 3; warhead 40kg
HQ-7 1 X eight-cell launcher
8 missiles Yes Air defence missile, line-of-sight guidance to 13km at Mach 2.4; warhead 14kg
Type 79 1 X dual barrel 100mm Yes Yes Dual-100mm/56 calibre gun, 18 rounds/min to 22km; weight of shell 15kg; Type 79A on Type 053H3; Modified variant PJ-33A on later hulls
Type 76A 4 X dual-barrel Yes Yes Anti-aircraft artillery, 180 rounds/min to 8.5km; weight of shell 1.42kg
Yu-7 2 X three-cell launcher Yes Yes 324mm torpedo; Active/passive acoustic homing to 11km at 40kt; warhead 44kg
Type 87 (Type 3200) 2 X six-tube launcher
36 rockets Yes Yes 240mm anti-submarine rocket launcher; range 1,200m; warhead 34kg

Sensors (chinese) - PN will have its modifications.

Radar NATO Codename Band Type 053H2G Type 053H3 Purposes
1 X Type 360 E/F Yes Surface search
1 X Type 517H-1 Knife Rest A Yes Yes 2D long-range air search
1 X Type 342 Frog Lamp H/I Yes HQ-61 SAM fire-control
1 X Type 343 Wasp Head I Yes YJ-8 SSM and 100mm gun fire-control
1 X Type 345 (MR35) J Yes HQ-7 SAM and 100mm gun fire-control
1 X Type 352 Square Tie I Yes YJ-83 SSM fire-control
2 X Type 347G (EFR-1) Rice Lamp Yes Yes 37mm AAA fire-control
2 X Racal Decca RM-1290 Yes Yes Navigation

Electronic Countermeasures

The ship's electronic warfare suite include the RWD-8 Jug Pair intercept, Type 981-3 jammer, SR-210 radar warning receiver, Type 651A IFF, and two Mk-36RBOC 6-barrel chaff/decoy rocket launchers (two indigenous Type 946/PJ-46 15-barrel launchers on the Jiangwei-II class).

Command & Control (chinese) - PN will have its own modifications.

The Type 053H3 Jiangwei-II class is fitted with an indigenous ZJK-2 combat data system to connect various weapons and sensors onboard. The system is based on the 10Mbps common bus architecture, and is capable of supporting operations such as air defence, anti-submarine warfare, electronic warfare, navigation, and communications.

Aviation

The helicopter deck at the stern has a single landing spot for a medium size helicopter, such as the Eurocopter AS 365 Panther or its Chinese copy Harbin Z-9C. The deck is fitted with the helicopter handling system.

Propulsion

The frigate is powered by a combined diesel and diesel (CODAD) arrangement, with two 18E390VA diesels rated at 14,000 hp (17.6 kW) and two MTU diesels rated at 8,840 hp (6.5 MW). Two shafts drive controllable pitch propellers. The propulsion system provides a maximum speed of 26~27 knots and, at a economical speed of 15 knots, the range is 5,000 nautical miles.

Some sources suggest that displacement will be 2500 tonnes, others say it will be 3000 tonnes. Then Admiral says.. first one will be lighter, and the later ones will be heavy as per by the PN requirements.

I think China is providing ToT along with these vessels to Pakistan.

Have any of you heard this from the Pakistan side?

I think we need to take a look at the Oliver hazard perry frigates that have been requested under EDA

I think we need to take a look at the Oliver hazard perry frigates that have been requested under EDA

Is it beneficial for us to go with Oliver or Type 054. I believe if we go for Type 054, it will be new, and will be for long term.

Is it beneficial for us to go with Oliver or Type 054. I believe if we go for Type 054, it will be new, and will be for long term.

I think both is beneficial for Pakistan as it enhances the naval capabilities.

The question is on whether how Pakistan see the future.

If Pakistan purchase the Oliver from the US, is Pakistan willing to continue and increase their reliance on the US? If to choose this option, then we must hope that future US-Pak relations are good.

If Pakistan purchase the Type 054 from China, they would get friendship prices as always and would still have an advanced frigate for the Navy. Also, Sino-Pak relations would not be unpredictable as the US-Pak relations.

China is currently testing the advanced version of the Type 054 designated as the Type 054A. Pakistan might want to wait and purchase that instead. However, that depends how soon Pakistan require the frigates.

Well the OHP's would be free under EDA and would simply require updating with the relevant equipment. Whilst the Chinese option is good I do not believe that there should be a over reliance upon one source. A mix of western and Chinese systems is still a good idea.

Well the OHP's would be free under EDA and would simply require updating with the relevant equipment. Whilst the Chinese option is good I do not believe that there should be a over reliance upon one source. A mix of western and Chinese systems is still a good idea.

I see, would the upgrades in the future require Western assistance or Pakistan is self reliant on this? Because I would tend to assume anything from the West whether it is free or purchased would have strings attached.

I agree with the mixture of western and Chinese systems. Aslong there are no strings attached for Pakistan.

My thinking is that Pakistan should buy four F-22 frigates from China then wait couple of years and observe Chinese naval technology evolve further. Then further buying should be decided.

As far as US ships are considered I think these should only be used as a stopgap purpose. Reliance on US has in the past shown that Pakistan suffered in the most inconvenient time so surface ships should not be purchased from US.

My thinking is that Pakistan should buy four F-22 frigates from China then wait couple of years and observe Chinese naval technology evolve further. Then further buying should be decided.

As far as US ships are considered I think these should only be used as a stopgap purpose. Reliance on US has in the past shown that Pakistan suffered in the most inconvenient time so surface ships should not be purchased from US.

Well how did the embargo effect the British ships that the PN operates?
A ship is not the same as a aircraft.
I think a lot of you guys get too hung up on the embargoes of the past. I am sure that the services allow for this in any purchases.
All you guys are suggesting is a over reliance on one supplier. This shows a lack of bigger view. The west still produces the equipment that can act as a equaliser to larger numbers.
Chinese gear whilst good would require weatern equipment to make it worthwhile. It will take a while for the Chinese to catch up.......

is the ohp class offered to us or we are just discussing a possibility in future? What happened to spruance class destroyer. never heard of it ever.

do we have any ability to operate such a big warship? How do Indian warship compare with spruance?

why do we keep harping over old discussions...
the spruance destroyer has been rejected by PN. its a old ship stripped of its weapons systems. it would cost US80-100 mill to upgrade this hulk.
on the OHPs I have not heard any news on this subject. pls provide more info.

this will be better for Pakistan to buy weapons from China rather then from USA...haaaaaa as we all know USA has said that it gives more impotance to India....what the hell it is....o man they are just using us and nothing more then that....on one side they give us used F-16 and on other they blessed india with F-18 or offering F-35....

Back
Top Bottom