What's new

Pakistan Navy's Surface Combatant Procurement

ya,the time has come now, that we stop , thinking about ,usa, and should start thinking,the closer friends,like, china. till now china has the capability to meet any theart, from sea ,land and air from any 1, including U.S. Russia etc..chinese tech. may be not so advance inthe terms of style and, weaponry but, have the credible defence.

Edit: Write in standard english please!!

don't forget europe in between china & U.S.A

BTW any news on the type-23 frigates , which the PN was supposed to purchase ???

The Type 23 as we know, is an extremely modern frigate, similar in size to the USN OHP Class. These are a little larger than the PN's Tariq Class (ex. Amazon), and are fitted with torpedoes (4 tubes), towed Sonar arrays, Harpoons, Seawolf VLS SAM's, a 4.5" gun and two 30mm guns. They are considered very stealthy, with low RCS, thermal, and acoustic signatures:coffee:

also don't forget the The Turkish frigate Barbaros ( yavuz ), it is said to be very advanced. Since pakistan enjoys close ties with turkey, they could get a soft loan for the Barbaros ( yavuz ) :smokin:

is the ohp class offered to us or we are just discussing a possibility in future? What happened to spruance class destroyer. never heard of it ever.

do we have any ability to operate such a big warship? How do Indian warship compare with spruance?

The OHP's have been requested as EDA but the ships have not yet been released from the USN. There is a article buried somewhere in the site quoting a U.S. navy officer stating this fact.

As fatman has stated, the Spruance was offered but not taken up.

The type 23 deal never happened. The type 23's have been sold to Chile.

keys - isnt it true that the OHP class frigates are being withdrawn by the USN?

Not sure...but if H Khan is right about PN going for MILGEM corvettes, then I think PN may hold off the FFG for TF-2000. Perhaps we may see the TF-2000 hull produced in Pakistan but equipped as a general purpose FFG as opposed to a AAW+command FFG in the Turkish Navy.

Baynunah Class Multipurpose Missile Corvette, United Arab Emirates
In January 2004, the United Arab Emirates' Ministry of Defence in Abu Dhabi awarded a contract to Abu Dhabi Shipbuilding for a new class of multipurpose missile corvette, the Baynunah class. The contract is for four corvettes with option on a further two.

"The main roles of the corvettes will be in patrol and surveillance, minelaying, interception and other anti-surface warfare operations."The Baynunah program is a successor to the LEWA 1 program to replace the six 175t full displacement, 33.5m Ardhana class large patrol class.

The corvettes are named after the Baynunah region of Abu Dhabi. Construction of the first vessel began in May 2005 for launch in mid 2008 and commission in 2010.

In July 2005, the UAE exercised the contract option for a further two vessels to bring the total to six ships of the class.

Abu Dhabi Shipbuilding is the prime contractor. Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie (CMN) of Cherbourg, France, is a major contractor. The build of the first corvette, to launch in 2006, is taking place at CMN's shipyard in Cherbourg. The program includes a technology transfer arrangement between CMN and ADSB. The CMN subsidiary, CMN Divisions Systemes, will carry out the combat system integration in France.

The remaining corvettes are to be built at the ADSB shipyard at Mussafah in Abu Dhabi. Keel for the first locally built vessel was laid in July 2006 and it is scheduled for launch in 2009 and commission in 2011.

The 175,000m² shipyard has two 2,720m² construction halls equipped with overhead cranes. The shipyard facilities also include two shiplift piers for berthing and repair of ships up to 85m in length, three 1,700m² dry berths, a 70m quay wall and 320m of wet berthing

The main roles of the corvettes will be in patrol and surveillance, minelaying, interception and other anti-surface warfare operations in the United Arab Emirate's territorial waters and exclusive economic zone.

BAYNUNAH CORVETTE DESIGN
The design of the corvette is being be carried out jointly by CMN and ADSB and is a derivative of CMN's BR70 70m corvette design with a deep Vee hard chine hull. A low draught allows the corvette to operate in shallow waters. Emphasis is directed to good seakeeping characteristics and manoeuvrability.

The light corvettes are substantially larger than the New Generation Combattante I, the Um Almaradim Class patrol vessels supplied to Kuwait from 1998 to 2000. The Baynunah corvettes incorporate a stealthy superstructure, a helicopter landing deck and a hangar.

BAYNUNAH WEAPON SYSTEMS
In July 2004, Alenia Marconi Systems, now Selex Sistemi Integrati, was awarded a contract to supply the IPN-S command and control system and the NA-25XM fire control system for the main gun. Selex is also responsible for integration of weapons and sensors into the combat system. The Baynunah vessels will also be fitted with the Sagem Vigy EOMS infrared search and track and weapons director.

"The corvette's main gun is the Oto Melara 76/62mm Super Rapide - capable of firing 6kg shells at 120 rounds a minute."The corvette's anti-ship missile system comprises eight MBDA MM40 block 3 Exocet missiles. The block 3 missile has a new turbojet propulsion system that extends the effective range from 70km to 180km. It has new inertial / GPS guidance along with an advanced J-band active terminal seeker.

The sea-skimming Exocet missiles approach the target at high subsonic speed, Mach 0.9, to deliver a 165kg warhead. The Exocet is also deployed on the United Arab Emirates Muray Jib class corvettes, Ban Yas class and Mubarraz class fast attack missile craft.

The corvette will be fitted with four Raytheon MK56 eight-cell vertical launchers for the ESSM. ESSM gives surface-to-air capability to protect against fixed-wing and rotary-wing platforms.

In September 2007, the UAE placed an order with Raytheon for 32 ESSM missiles, to be delivered by 2010. This was in addition to the Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) system for close-in air defence, ordered in December 2006 to equip the Baynunah Class.

One mk49 mod3 21-cell RAM launcher for the RAM block 1A missile system will be fitted on top of the hangar roof. The installation will require a number of design modifications. The systems are to be installed by 2011. RAM has radio frequency / infrared dual-mode guidance and a range of 8km. The block 1 missile has a new image scanning infrared seeker.

The corvette's main gun is the Oto Melara 76/62mm Super Rapide, capable of firing 6kg shells at a rate of 120 rounds per minute to a maximum range of 16km. Two Oto Melara 30mm guns will also be fitted.

MINE LAYING, DETECTION, AVOIDANCE AND DISPOSAL CAPABILITIES
The corvette design includes capacity for the future installation of mine warfare systems. The corvette is capable of deploying a full range of mine-laying, mine detection, avoidance and disposal systems to suit the operational requirements of the United Arab Emirate's Navy.

The layout of the flight deck allows the installation of mine rails for mine laying. The combat management system includes minefield planning software.

The NDS 3070 Vanguard hull-mounted mine and obstacle avoidance sonar, from L-3 ELAC Nautik, will be installed and a remotely operated vehicle for detection, location and disposal of mines may also be fitted.

HELICOPTER DECK
The Baynunah corvette has a stern helicopter deck with a single landing spot for a medium-sized helicopter such as the AS 565. The United Arab Emirates operate seven Eurocopter AS 565 Panther anti-surface helicopters. The corvette has a fully equipped hangar.

SURVEILLANCE, NAVIGATION AND FIRE CONTROL RADAR
The Baynunah corvettes are fitted with a Saab Microwave Systems (formerly Ericsson) Sea Giraffe AMB (Agile Multiple Beam) three dimensional surveillance radar and a Terma I-band navigation radar. Fire control radar for the NA-25 is the Selex Orion RTN 25 X-band radar.

NAVAL COUNTERMEASURE SYSTEMS
The electronic warfare suite includes an NLWS310 laser warning system from Saab Avitronics of South Africa, an Elettronica SLR-736E radar electronic support measures system (ESM) and a Thales Altesse communications ESM.

"The Baynunah corvette has a stern helicopter deck with a single landing spot for a medium-sized helicopter."The MASS decoy system, supplied by Rheinmetall Waffe Munition (formerly Buck Neue Technologien), will be installed, one to port and one to the starboard side. MASS can launch up to 32 Omni-Trap spin-stabilised omni-spectral projectiles in a time-staggered configuration against anti-ship missiles and guided projectiles.

The MASS decoy covers radar, infrared, electro-optic, laser and ultraviolet wavebands.

SECURE NAVAL COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS
The corvettes have secure voice and data communications, including Link 11 and Link Y Mark 2, with the fleet, land based command and control centres and with the CN-235 maritime patrol aircraft.

WATER JET PROPULSERS
Four diesel engines type 12V595 TE90 from MTU are each rated at 4.2MW. The corvettes have water jet propulsers giving high manoeuvrability. The cruise and maximum speeds are 15 knots and over 32 knots. The range is over 2,400nm. The corvette carries water, stores and fuel for an endurance of 14 days.

Naval Technology - Baynunah Class Multipurpose Missile Corvette

I think PN should also look at these corvettes. These are being built for UAE navy and have decent firepower.
Regards,

Pakistan continues hunt for interim frigates

Richard Scott Jane's Naval Consultant - London

The Pakistan Navy is conducting a worldwide search for between four and eight secondhand frigates to bridge a near-term gap in its surface fleet, according to the service's most senior officer.

Speaking to Jane's at the Doha International Maritime Defence Exhibition (DIMDEX 2008), Pakistani Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Muhammad Afzal Tahir said that the service had identified a need to acquire secondhand ships as a matter of priority.

"We have four new F-22P frigates on order from China, with the last one to be built locally at Karachi," he said, "and we have also recently released a [request for proposals] to a number of shipyards for a follow-on class.

"[However], at the same time our six [ex-UK Royal Navy] Type 21 frigates are now approaching the end of their lives, so to meet our immediate needs we have been looking at the secondhand market. Our requirement is for between four and eight ships."

Efforts to date to acquire suitable ships have not borne fruit. Discussions with Greece over the purchase of two Elli-class frigates broke down and an approach to Belgium to buy two Wielingen-class frigates was unsuccessful, with both ships instead being transferred to Bulgaria.

Additionally, Pakistan had sought in 2005 to buy three secondhand Type 23 frigates from the UK, but eventually lost out to Chile.

"We are very hopeful, and very keen, for the acquisition of ships that can fill the gap in our force for a five- to 10-year period," Adm Tahir said. "What matters is getting suitable ships at a fair price and in a relatively short timeframe."

I have heard that the first F-22P stealth frigate is ready for delivery and will be commissioned as Zulfiqar class stealth frigate in mid 2008. (with all six z9-ec ready for delivery)

I have no source to verify.:pop:

I have heard that the first F-22P stealth frigate is ready for delivery and will be commissioned as Zulfiqar class stealth frigate in mid 2008. (with all six z9-ec ready for delivery)

I have no source to verify.:pop:

First of all its not a stealth frigate, it only incoperates certain features from the type 054 which you may call a stealth frigate and the first delivery will take place in 2009 not 8. Otherwise verify it from a proper source or how did you come to know about it?

.......how did you come to know about it?

A friend of mine told me. He later gave me a web link of Military of Pakistan(Future plans > Navy) on wiki, theres a reference claiming it will be commissioned in 2008 which itself is offline. Oh well, I thought I should verify first. :coffee:

The Pakistan Navy is conducting a worldwide search for between four and eight secondhand frigates to bridge a near-term gap in its surface fleet, according to the service's most senior officer.

Speaking to Jane's at the Doha International Maritime Defence Exhibition (DIMDEX 2008), Pakistani Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Muhammad Afzal Tahir said that the service had identified a need to acquire secondhand ships as a matter of priority.

Does not Pakistan have the expertise to design and build its own ships ?

I am suprised on their reliance on second hand ships which will no doubt come with political strings attached.

Regards

Does not Pakistan have the expertise to design and build its own ships ?

I am suprised on their reliance on second hand ships which will no doubt come with political strings attached.

Regards

not until the last F-22P is built under ToT at Khi-shipyards (around 2012?)

"We have four new F-22P frigates on order from China, with the last one to be built locally at Karachi," he said, "and we have also recently released a [request for proposals] to a number of shipyards for a follow-on class.

"[However], at the same time our six [ex-UK Royal Navy] Type 21 frigates are now approaching the end of their lives, so to meet our immediate needs we have been looking at the secondhand market. Our requirement is for between four and eight ships."

Efforts to date to acquire suitable ships have not borne fruit. Discussions with Greece over the purchase of two Elli-class frigates broke down and an approach to Belgium to buy two Wielingen-class frigates was unsuccessful, with both ships instead being transferred to Bulgaria.

Additionally, Pakistan had sought in 2005 to buy three secondhand Type 23 frigates from the UK, but eventually lost out to Chile.

"We are very hopeful, and very keen, for the acquisition of ships that can fill the gap in our force for a five- to 10-year period," Adm Tahir said. "What matters is getting suitable ships at a fair price and in a relatively short timeframe."

Sir why dont we go for new modern destroyers for long term such as the Type 052c or french rather going for second hand frigates for the interim use. Now i know that the PN's type 21 have nearly ended their life span and are on the verge of retirement however i also agree with AN that going for old frigates will have too many strings attached to them and either we will be simply refused or will be given stripped off equipment.
IMO if we go the chinese way or the french way for our requirement and instead of going for the second hand go for something new and built according to PN's specifications would be very usefull in the long term and enhance the capabilities of the PN

Back
Top Bottom