What's new

Pakistan likely to buy S20 submarines from China

salman77

Reaction score
A senior Pakistani official recently told the UK's Jane's Defence Weekly that the country is likely to purchase six submarines from China.

The official said the deal will be completed soon and an agreement is expected to be signed by both parties by the end of the year.

The Sina news web portal also cited a Pakistani official who said Islamabad and Beijing had settled the details for the arms sales and only the payment issue needed to be finalized.

The Pakistani source revealed that the S20 diesel-electric submarines, an improved model of the People's Liberation Army's Yuan-class submarines, may be the model that Pakistan will buy because China has actively promoted the model in the global market.

The S20 was developed based on the Type 039 submarine, which is referred to as Yuan class by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and which measures 66 meters in length, 8m in beam and 8.2m in draft.

The surface displacement of the submarine is 1,850 tonnes and its submerged displacement is 2,300 tonnes, with a maximum speed of 18 knots. It can reach 8,000 nautical miles at 16 knots and it can carry 38 crew members in total for 60 days.

It uses a double hulled structure and its maximum dive depth is 300m.

Selling diesel-electric submarines to Pakistan will further consolidate China's role as a supplier for the country’s weapons and military equipment and enhance the Pakistan Navy's combat capability.

At present, the Pakistan Navy has five aging submarines bought from France — three Agosta 90B-class submarines purchased in the 1990s and two Agosta 70-class submarines, bought in the late 1970s.

Pakistan likely to buy S20 submarines from China|Politics|News|WantChinaTimes.com

The Sina news web portal also cited a Pakistani official who said Islamabad and Beijing had settled the details for the arms sales and only the payment issue needed to be finalized.

The key words here are payment issue. With the way our economy is going, i don't see it happening any time soon.

What's up with Type 214? I heard the PN was likely to go with these.

Perhaps an expert can answer this question?
How are these subs on comparative scale with India and does China posses any better submarines?

It was dropped in 2010 or 2012?

Perhaps an expert can answer this question? How are these subs on comparative scale with India and does China posses any better submarines?

Pakistan Navy is not looking to buy subs to be compared to IN. Our sub force is low and getting outdated atleast A-70s...PN is looking at its requirements so i would like you guys to stop going into comparative mode, IN is ahead. About China we don't know if PN is going for Chinese subs they might have been shown some stuff which is of interest to PN.

Perhaps an expert can answer this question?
How are these subs on comparative scale with India and does China posses any better submarines?

It was dropped in 2010 or 2012?

got it. But I believe they are better than the Chinese with being UGM-84D/G Harpoon capable. I don't think that PN will go for submarine capable variant of C-802, while it's AGM model is already ordered for JF-17.

RGM-84.jpg

Type 214TN :D

No hard cash and loan based deal is not offered...
German opposition don't want germany to sell those subs to Pakistan
Some other pressure from international players [US and maybe israel]

we must avoit this induction if it does not give any advantage over our rivals in the region

No hard cash and loan based deal is not offered...
German opposition don't want germany to sell those subs to Pakistan
Some other pressure from international players [US and maybe israel]

Yeah, perhaps Chinese assistance is way better for Pakistan, at least until we all have our own defence systems. Which I don't believe world powers will allow any muslim nation to reach that level. German opp is agaianst any country wants to buy from Deutschland. They even protested the sales to South Korea and Spain.

Yeah, perhaps Chinese assistance is way better for Pakistan, at least until we all have our own defence systems. Which I don't believe world powers will allow any muslim nation to reach that level. German opp is agaianst any country wants to buy from Deutschland. They even protested the sales to South Korea and Spain.

German opposition and swedish govt/opposition are a pain for everyone. PAF would have been sold Gripens had it not been swedish opposition/and people with-in fed didn't allow it. So yes Chinese assistance and equipment is the way forward perhaps in time we'll have better or reasonable equipment without any external pressure/sanctions.

Not going to trust such news, at this point we have absolutely no exact information what Pakistan is looking for but i believe the requirements are that those subs should be ahead of indian scorpion class submarines.

well i hope so ,because if PN is working of naval version ob Babur than its best to get subs capable of firing CM..

got it. But I believe they are better than the Chinese with being UGM-84D/G Harpoon capable. I don't think that PN will go for submarine capable variant of C-802, while it's AGM model is already ordered for JF-17.

RGM-84.jpg

Type 214TN :D

Pakistan will import the subs from any nation if they provide us these 2 capabilities

*AIP
*Capability to fire SLCM's

Back
Top Bottom