What's new

PAF J-10C News, Updates and Discussion

Is the PLAAF also inducting the Comuflage version of the J-10.

View attachment 906906
Old J10A camo.

1671538913422.jpeg

Those camo J-10s are NOT PLAAF service J-10s.

Those are prototypes. You can tell by the serial on the side showing 10xx.

The usual designation pattern for PLA service is the number itself, then suffix A, then so on if further blocks or new types that still use the designation. For example with regards to J-10 platform, the first service type is designated as J-10 (early to mid 2000s), after that was J-10A (mid to late 2000s), after that J-10B (early 2010s), after that J-10C (mid 2010s). The camo pattern paint J-10s are before J-10, and of course also before J-10A. Those are the prototypes and while flying in 1990s to 2000s (prototype J-10s and J-9 program) the ones shown with serial 10xx were first shown in mid 2000s when J-10 was ready and started service in PLAAF.

Which version of E-3 your contact alluded to?

E-3A Block 10/15
E-3B/C Block 20/25
E-3B/C Block 30/35 with ESM and RISP
E-3G Block 40/45 with DRAGON
all the E-3 versions. They are just not very good. The E-2Ds can track things much further out.
- - -

Using J-10C to defend against F-35?

F-35 is relatively much more advanced and also much more difficult to detect than J-10C from a distance.
don't think about things from 1 to 1 point of view but rather from a system point of view. J-10Cs would not be countering F-35s by themselves but also with all the other sensors in service with PLA.

PL-15 is probably the most capable AMRAAM when it comes to locking onto LO/VLO platform due to having AESA seeker.
Japanese data for reference:

RCS1.png
All these are just marketing items that don't mean much in real life. I can tell you that US military determines J-20 to have comparable stealth from frontal aspect as early F-35s (case in point, they use early F-35s in J-20 Aggressor roles). J-10C and J-16 have both done a lot of training against J-20s simulating F-35s and have their share of successes.

KJ-500 is equipped with more advanced radar system than the one found in E-3 but to what extent it can make it possible for the J-10C to engage F-35 from a distance? KJ-500 itself will be struggling to detect and track F-35 in real time because principles of radar detection have not changed by much in themselves.
KJ-500 is much better than E-3. You do realize one is a 2nd generation AESA radar and the other is a mechanically steered radar, right?

Why do you think KJ-500 will struggle to detect F-35s? They can get cued up by other sensors. Narrow beaming L-band radar against something like F-35 is not going to work out too great for F-35s. People are way overstating how hard it is to detect F-35s. This is not the early 2000s anymore. AESA radar, UHF/VHF long range search radars, IRST, sensor fusion, modern machine processing have all gotten a lot better.
Pay close attention to what experienced pilots have to say about F-35 in following links:

Further perspective in following link:

Connect the dots.
I don't need to read quora posts. Chinese sources say they can easily track all 3 variants of F-35s. My DoD contact says that persistent tracking of F-35s can be established all the way to 1st island chain.
Americans have a history of coming up with aircraft designs and even vehicle designs that could accomodate electronics decades ahead of their time with limited amendments.

There was no need to redesign F-16 from Block 15 [rolled out in 1973] to variants all the way up to Block 72 in the present. This speaks volumes about the level of expertise that was reached in terms of conceptualizing and putting together an aircraft in the 1970s on the American side.
Seems like you are working too hard to justify prior belief.
The J-10 project was launched in 1988 and provided invaluable insight to China in terms of HOW to conceptualize, develop, and improve an aircraft from scratch in time. As a neutral observer, I appreciate the effort and respect the machine that came out from it in the form of J-10C in the present.

I am not sure why the Chinese feel the need to draw conjectural parallels between Chinese and American projects of similar nature without being mindful of American headstart in numerous fields. This leads to needless contention and underappreciation of Chinese projects just to set things straight.

This isn't about what I think about China but setting things straight. I think highly of China otherwise.
no, I think you are just unaware of where China is at right now. The problem when it comes to PLA watching is that they advance too fast. People are often years behind in their assessment. Unless you have classified info or are completely in tune with Chinese sources, it's really just hard for you to appreciate these things.

At this point, I really don't think too highly of F-16s. F-18s are clearly the best 4th gen aircraft us military has. USAF are just keeping F-16s around to keep the numbers high. I actually don't think that highly of J-10Cs either. If PLAAF buys more J-10C after this year, I would be disappointed. They are fine for defending air space against Russians and Indians, but just not suitable for a westpac conflict.

Well, this is first PAF F-16 female pilot.

View attachment 907162
Coincidently..., she was also the first on the JF-17 before moving on to the Viper with No. 19 (Sherdils).

Currently with No. 11 (Arrows).

The only other female i'm aware of that is currently on the JF-17 is F/L Z***** who is with Sqn No. 26 (Black Spiders).

Is the PLAAF also inducting the Comuflage version of the J-10.

View attachment 906906
These photos are at least 15 years old. Domestic production of J-10 in China will likely stop in the next few years to focus on J-20, drones and next generation fighter. CAC will still make spare parts and upgrade kits, but probably won't build new planes by 2025.

Which version of E-3 your contact alluded to?

E-3A Block 10/15
E-3B/C Block 20/25
E-3B/C Block 30/35 with ESM and RISP
E-3G Block 40/45 with DRAGON

- - -

Using J-10C to defend against F-35?

F-35 is relatively much more advanced and also much more difficult to detect than J-10C from a distance.

Japanese data for reference:

RCS1.png

KJ-500 is equipped with more advanced radar system than the one found in E-3 but to what extent it can make it possible for the J-10C to engage F-35 from a distance? KJ-500 itself will be struggling to detect and track F-35 in real time because principles of radar detection have not changed by much in themselves.

Pay close attention to what experienced pilots have to say about F-35 in following links:

Further perspective in following link:

Connect the dots.

- - -

Americans have a history of coming up with aircraft designs and even vehicle designs that could accomodate electronics decades ahead of their time with limited amendments.

There was no need to redesign F-16 from Block 15 [rolled out in 1973] to variants all the way up to Block 72 in the present. This speaks volumes about the level of expertise that was reached in terms of conceptualizing and putting together an aircraft in the 1970s on the American side.

Notable amendment was following:

View attachment 906812

This amendment is in line with the engine offered.

The J-10 project was launched in 1988 and provided invaluable insight to China in terms of HOW to conceptualize, develop, and improve an aircraft from scratch in time. As a neutral observer, I appreciate the effort and respect the machine that came out from it in the form of J-10C in the present.

I am not sure why the Chinese feel the need to draw conjectural parallels between Chinese and American projects of similar nature without being mindful of American headstart in numerous fields. This leads to needless contention and underappreciation of Chinese projects just to set things straight.

This isn't about what I think about China but setting things straight. I think highly of China otherwise.

Even cooler was a lot of the radar improvement on the f16 was just LRU/Back end with the same antenna from memory, pretty neat if you ask me.

all the E-3 versions. They are just not very good. The E-2Ds can track things much further out.

don't think about things from 1 to 1 point of view but rather from a system point of view. J-10Cs would not be countering F-35s by themselves but also with all the other sensors in service with PLA.

PL-15 is probably the most capable AMRAAM when it comes to locking onto LO/VLO platform due to having AESA seeker.

All these are just marketing items that don't mean much in real life. I can tell you that US military determines J-20 to have comparable stealth from frontal aspect as early F-35s (case in point, they use early F-35s in J-20 Aggressor roles). J-10C and J-16 have both done a lot of training against J-20s simulating F-35s and have their share of successes.

KJ-500 is much better than E-3. You do realize one is a 2nd generation AESA radar and the other is a mechanically steered radar, right?

Why do you think KJ-500 will struggle to detect F-35s? They can get cued up by other sensors. Narrow beaming L-band radar against something like F-35 is not going to work out too great for F-35s. People are way overstating how hard it is to detect F-35s. This is not the early 2000s anymore. AESA radar, UHF/VHF long range search radars, IRST, sensor fusion, modern machine processing have all gotten a lot better.

I don't need to read quora posts. Chinese sources say they can easily track all 3 variants of F-35s. My DoD contact says that persistent tracking of F-35s can be established all the way to 1st island chain.

Seems like you are working too hard to justify prior belief.

no, I think you are just unaware of where China is at right now. The problem when it comes to PLA watching is that they advance too fast. People are often years behind in their assessment. Unless you have classified info or are completely in tune with Chinese sources, it's really just hard for you to appreciate these things.

At this point, I really don't think too highly of F-16s. F-18s are clearly the best 4th gen aircraft us military has. USAF are just keeping F-16s around to keep the numbers high. I actually don't think that highly of J-10Cs either. If PLAAF buys more J-10C after this year, I would be disappointed. They are fine for defending air space against Russians and Indians, but just not suitable for a westpac conflict.
Wow. Sources in both us dod and China giving you such critical info? Have you ever considered working for some mil intel somewhere?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom