What's new

PAF equipment

Sorry guys thing is Realistically in 2012 Pakistan Fleet will consist of: Agree or Disagree

1. F-16 (54) No dreams 36 old F-16s MLU plus BLK52 18 new F-16 makes 54 not 78. No confirmed news of Pakistan purchasing more than that the money is being diverted to J-10s thank anyways.
2. JF-17 (75)
3. J-10 (36)
4. Mirage 3/5 (150) Mirages are going no where till 2017
5. F-7 all variants (150) F-7s are going no where till 2017
6. A-5s (36)
Possible retirement in 2014 thru 2015.
Many other things to list for now check this out.

Where as Indian Fleet will consist of IN 2012:
1. SU-30 MKI----130
2. MRCA?? even if US FA/18s are selected India will have 25 of them
3. LCA---- 50
4. Harriers----24 are confirmed i don't know if India has 32 or 36 harriers
5. Jaguars----120
5. Mig 23----50
6. Mig 27----140
7. Mig21----220 >>the 126 Flying coffins that were or being under upgradation will remain for long till 2021 the rest might be phased out with induction of LCA
8. Mig-29s----70 plus 18 Mig-29s naval version.

While someone of you say Pakistan won't be able to deal with IAF..to them which of you really knows what under table SAMs and other stuff provided by China to Pakistan?? Non of you knows neither you nor do i...So when Pakistan Air Force and Pak Army says they can deal with India trust them they can..

i can tell why you live in Canada.

:pakistan:Sir sherdiL! I respect you....I went to Canada when i was 4, my father got retirement from P.A.F in the rank of Group Captain when he was in Saudi Arab on deputation. My brother is Major in Artillery in Pakistan Army. He went back from Canada to Join Pakistan Army. Sir if you need to know more i shall give you more details..the information i posted are truth about what Pakistan has and what India has like some i did not posted rubbish that F-7/Mirages might be grounded so soon logic tells after so much of recent upgrades to these fighters who idiot would ground them in next 3-4 years does this sound a brilliant idea to you? if someone has confirmed news that Pakistan will buy more than 18 new fleet of f-16s correct me i am open minded.

:pakistan:Sir sherdiL! I respect you....I went to Canada when i was 4, my father got retirement from P.A.F in the rank of Group Captain when he was in Saudi Arab on deputation. My brother is Major in Artillery in Pakistan Army. He went back from Canada to Join Pakistan Army. Sir if you need to know more i shall give you more details..the information i posted are truth about what Pakistan has and what India has like some i did not posted rubbish that F-7/Mirages might be grounded so soon logic tells after so much of recent upgrades to these fighters who idiot would ground them in next 3-4 years does this sound a brilliant idea to you? if someone has confirmed news that Pakistan will buy more than 18 new fleet of f-16s correct me i am open minded.

Lol very well said and put boss i support u !! but i do think #'s are a bit off but still close anyhow bro u are most welcomed here :cheers::smokin:

I think one thing you guys need to understand is that Pakistan can never have a numerical superiority against India. What Pakistan needs is a deterent against India and thats exactly what the PAF planners are planning to do.

well i did not say these are exact # but +- should be considered here. And again Indian is not going to use all of its inventory against Pakistan also i did not add Mirage 2000s lol i completely forgot now i edit it in my list. they'll use'll atleast 500-600 Jets against Pakistan rest of inventory will be stored for China, poor Indians shiny stuff will be stored in dark rooms while rest will be used for Pakistan's awams to see those debris falling from the skies.

check these pics of A-5C Fantans wonderful.
http://www.mabaig.co.uk/paf/Albums/Album3/a5loading.jpg
http://www.mabaig.co.uk/paf/Albums/Album3/Fantantrio.jpg
http://www.pakdef.info/pakmilitary/airforce/articles/images/a5_pesh.jpg

Last edited:
Get yoyur figures right...

Firstly india GDP is 8 times that of Pakistan and its military budget 5 times.

By 2012 THE AY THE 2 COUNTRIES are curently growing these figs will be EVEN more skewed.

PAF has orders only 18 NEW f16 THEY CUT the order after the earth quakes reason no money...

JF17 first 50 will come with chinease radar & SD10 IOC of JF17 will take til end of 2009

BY 2012 paf WILL HAVE

54 F16 blocl c/d (existing 38 upgraded) + 36 j10

50 JF17 first block ( prehaps 15+ new version with western tech) =65

they will still have over 100 mirage 5 rose & 120+ F7P/PG

BUT BIF DIFFERENCE paf WILL HAVE BVR amraams APG68 RADAR & AWACS

and sd10 frm china & their AWACS.

340-350 FIHTERS at least 150 BVR capable and AWACS light years better than TODAY.........

by 2012 pakistan will face an india that will have gdp possib;y 8th largest in the worl;d 1.5 trillion to 1.7 trillon. dollars.

defense budget over $35 billion

A sttrategic relationship far deeper with israel & USA then today.

i estimate

180+ SU30 MKI (50 MORE BY 2014)

60 MIG 29 + 16 MIG29K NAVY

30+ mrca ( rafael or F18 sh) are the 2 favorites (90 MORE BY 2020)

50 mirage 2000

20 LCA TEJAS

100 JAGUAR

70 MIG27

100 MIG21 BISON

Phalcon AWACS.....X 3

paf will be closer to IAF then today ( it is very weak at the moment) but fututre plans are good

i hope in future PAF Buys JXX of china which is 5 generation fighter jet and it will counter indian PAK-FA fighte jet i think they should not waste their money after J 10.

Just wondering if following fig's are accurate:
By 2012 PAF inventory will be-
110 F-16
150 Jf-17
50 J-10
5 1l-78 aerial refueling
20 C-130
5 SAAB erieye
????????????????????????????:azn:

sir i would like to know in real statics how many jf-17
does pakistan have currently. and whats the productionline,
how many aircrafts can be built in 1 year.
i would also like to know about the excat number of f-16 pakistan is willing to buy.?:cheers:

Sorry guys thing is Realistically in 2012 Pakistan Fleet will consist of: Agree or Disagree

1. F-16 (54) No dreams 36 old F-16s MLU plus BLK52 18 new F-16 makes 54 not 78. No confirmed news of Pakistan purchasing more than that the money is being diverted to J-10s thank anyways.

A little correction regarding the numbers of F16 here. currently we have 46 F16OCU (32 old + 14 previously embargoed provided by US). however, US government agreed to provide 28 embargoed F16s but only 14 have been delivered till to date because remaining 14 are in use of USN. but we will be getting more Used 14 F16s either from USAF(block40/42) or from other European country (Belgium, turkey etc) so, about 60 of our F16s are going to be MLUed till 2011 and if you count new block 52+, then the correct number will be 78

how, about this!
PAF in 2012
70.....f-16
120....j10s
50....j11bs
150....THUNDERS
"Gaoxin Project" - Y-8 Electronic Warfare Aircraft 4 aircrafts
KJ-2000 Airborne Warning & Control System...7 bttries
Y-8 Rotodome Airborne Early Warning Aircraft....5 aircrafts
IL-78 Tanker aircrafts.... 5 aircrafts

plus all the old mirrages, f-7, f-7pgs,a-5s as long as they can live!
with PL-11 Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile,PL-12 Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile,PL-9 Short-Range Air-to-Air Missile,PL-4 Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles.

PL-4 Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile

Key Information
Chinese Name: PiLi-4 (PL-4)
Contractor: China Academy of Air-to-Air Missile
Service Status: Development cancelled

Summary
The PL-4 (PiLi-4) is the medium-range air-to-air missile developed by China Air-to-Air Missile Research Academy (previously known as 607 Institute or EOTDC) of AVIC1 based at Luoyang, Henan Province. The missile is based on the U.S. AIM-7D Sparrow. Development of the PL-4 began in March 1966, but the programme was seriously delayed because of technical difficulties as well as political impact. The first example for ground testing was completed in November 1980, and the first fireable missile was delivered in 1984. Two variants were introduced including the semi-active radar-homing PL-4A and the infrared-homing PL-4B. The programme was finally cancelled in 1985 due to unsatisfactory performance.

Specifications
Length: 3.235m (PL-4A); 3.128m (PL-4B)
Diameter: 0.19m
Wingspan: N/A
Weight: 150kg (PL-4A); 148kg (PL-4B)
Warhead: 30kg HE
Propulsion: Solid rocket
Max speed: Mach 2.2
G Limit: 40g
Max effective range: 18km (PL-4A); 8km (PL-4B)
Guidance: Semi-active radar (PL-4A); Infrared (PL-4B)

PL-11 Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile

Key Information
Chinese Name: PiLi-11 (PL-11)
Contractor: Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology
Service Status: In service with the PLAAF and PLA Navy

Summary
The PL-11 (PiLi-11) semi-active radar-homing medium-range air-to-air missile (MRAAM) has been developed by Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology (SAST), based on the seeker technology of the Italian Alenia Aspide. The Aspide was derived from the U.S. AIM-7 Sparrow MRAAM, but with a monopulse seeker replacing the conic scan seeker for improved accuracy and better resistance to jamming.

The PLA obtained some examples of the Italian Alenia Aspide MRAAM in the mid-1980s for trial and evaluation. Later an agreement was signed between China and Italy to co-produce the missile locally under license. The first batch of the Chinese-built Aspide missiles using Italian-made kits rolled out in early 1989, but the supply of kits was cut off by the Italian government as a result of EU weapon sanction imposed on China in the aftermath of the June 1989 incident.

In the early 1990s the PLA decided to use the Aspide technology obtained through its earlier co-operation with Alenia to develop its own indigenous MRAAM designated PL-11. The missile uses a mono-pulse semi-active radar-homing seeker copied from the seeker of the Aspide missile. The first test fire of the missile was carried out on a J-8II fighter in 1992. The missile entered PLA service in the mid-1990s for test and evaluations. The final certification test of the missile took place in 2001, with four of five missiles fired hit the targets.

The PL-11 has a conventional aerodynamic layout which resembles that of the AIIM-7 Sparrow. The missile has four large clipped control surfaces located at the middle of the missile body, and four fixed smaller delta-shape stabilising fins at the missile tail. The missile also has two externally mounted wiring harness covers lasting from the missile nose to the aft edge of the main control surfaces.

Variants

PL-11: The basic variant based on the HQ-61C SAM and Aspide seeker technology.

PL-11A: The improved variant with greater range and more powerful warhead. The improved seek head requires the guidance of the fire-control radar of the carrier aircraft only during the final stage of its flight.

PL-11B: Also known as PL-11-AMR. This is an active radar-homing derivative of the PL-11A, with an AMR-1 active radar-homing seeker developed by the 607 Institute.

Specifications
Missile length: 3.89m
Missile diameter: 0.208m
Wingspan: 0.68m
Launch weight: 220kg
Warhead: HE fragmentation
Propulsion: Solid fuel
Maximum speed: Mach 4
Range: 40~75km
Guidance: Semi-active radar

PL-12 Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile

Key Information
Chinese Name: PiLi-12 (PL-12)
Export Name: SheDian-10 (SD-10)
Service Status: In service with the PLAAF and PLA Navy

Summary
The PL-12 (PiLi-12) is an active radar-homing ‘beyond-visual-range’ medium-range air-to-air missile (MRAAM) with multiple targets engagement capability, comparable to the U.S. AIM-120 AMRAAM and Russian R-77 (NATO codename: AA-12 Adder) in size and performance. The missile has been developed by Luoyang-based China Academy of Air-to-Air Missile (CAAAM), and has been promoted to the international market under the name SD-10 (SheDian-10).

Development of the PL-12 began in 1997, and CAAAM faced tremendous difficulties in the development due to lack of experience. The missile development was completed in 2005. During a fire test carried out on 16 August 2005, a total of eleven missiles were fired, all hitting their targets. A multi-target fire testing carried out in late 2005 was also successful. The missile has been equipped by the indigenous J-8F, J-10 and J-11B fighters in service with the PLAAF and PLA Naval Aviation.

The PL-12 has possibly adopted the AMR-1 active radar seeker developed by CAAAM in the late 1990s. Unconfirmed reports suggested the AMR-1 development was assisted by Russian Agat Bureau, the designer of the R-77’s seeker. There is also report suggesting that the PL-12 contains some elements of the Israeli Derby MRAAM technology. The PL-12 is powered by a Chinese-designed motor giving a maximum range of 70km and speed of Mach 4. The missile was claimed to be more manoeuvrable than the Russian R-77, and approach the U.S. AIM-120A in general performance.

The PL-12 features four delta wings, four tail fins (control surfaces), and externally mounted wiring harness cover. The specially designed “clipped” tail fins provides lower drag for greater speed and higher torque for better manoeuvrability. Two datalink antennas can be seen next to the nozzle for mid-course correction. With its active radar seeker, the missile is “fire and forget”, without the need of continuous guidance from the carrier aircraft. This enables several missiles to be fired simultaneously at multiple targets.

Specifications
Length: 3,850mm
Diameter: 203mm
Wingspan: 674mm
Launch weight: 180kg
Propulsion: Rocket motor
Max speed: Mach 4
Max range: 50~70km
G Limit: 38g
Guidance mode: Inertial + mid-course correction + terminal active radar
Warhead: HE-fragment
Fuse: Laser/microwave proximity fuse

PL-9 Short-Range Air-to-Air Missile

Key Information
Chinese Name: PiLi-9 (PL-9)
Service Status: Export only

Summary
The PL-9 (PiLi-9) infrared-homing, short-range air-to-air missile has been developed by the Luoyang-based China Academy of Air-to-Air Missile for the export market. The missile was reportedly developed from the indigenous PL-5 and PL-7, but fitted with a new infrared seeker based on the Israeli Python 3 AAM technology. So far the missile has only been promoted to the export market with no inventory in the PLA, but a surface-to-air variant known as PL-9D have been deployed by the PLA ground forces in small numbers.

Development of the PL-9 began in 1986 in parallel with another SRAAM programme PL-8, a Chinese licensed copy of the Israeli Python 3. It is somehow confusing for China to have two SRAAM development programmes with similar performance at the same time. One possible explanation is that the PL-8/Python 3 co-production agreement between China and Israel prohibited exporting the missile to a third-party. Therefore China integrated the Python 3 IR seeker with an indigenous missile airframe to produce the PL-9 specifically for the export market.

Small batch production of the PL-9 commenced in 1989. A model of the surface-to-air variant of the PL-9 missile was first revealed during the 1991 Paris Air Show. However, no order for the air-to-air variant of the missile has been received. The improved PL-9C was introduced in the 1990s, again with no order received.

Design

The PL-9 resembles the Python 3 in appearance, but with only one third the range of the latter. The missile features an all-aspects cryogenic liquid nitrogen gas-cooled seeker infrared-homing seeker head unit, which utilises proportional navigation guidance techniques. The missile seeker ’s off-boresight capability is +/-40 degrees. Flight control is by long span pointed delta fins at the front of the missile with Sidewinder-type slipstream driven rollerons on the aft tail fin surfaces to prevent roll and so enhance the operation of the guidance system.

The performance of the PL-9 can be improved by integrating with a Chinese indigenous helmet-mounted sight (HMS), which is similar to the Arsenel helmet sight for the Russian R-73. A Chinese brochure credits the helmet sight with a 60 degrees off-boresight capability, or a 120 degrees field of fire. During the November 1996 Zhuhai Air Show, a Chengdu (CAC) engineer confirmed that the HMS will be fitted onto the F-7MG fighter.

Specifications
Missile length: 2.90m
Missile diameter: 0.157m
Wingspan: 0.65m
Launch weight: 115kg (PL-9); 123kg (PL-9C)
Warhead: 10kg HE (PL-9); 12kg (PL-9C)
Propulsion: One solid-propellant rocket motor
Off-boresight capability: 60 degree
Speed: Mach 2.1
G Limit: 35G (PL-9); 40G (PL-9C)
Range: 0.5~5km (PL-9); 0.5~22km (PL-9C)
Guidance: All-aspect infrared + helmet-mounted sight guidance

PL-4 Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile

Key Information
Chinese Name: PiLi-4 (PL-4)
Service Status: Development cancelled

Summary
The PL-4 (PiLi-4) is the medium-range air-to-air missile developed by China Air-to-Air Missile Research Academy (previously known as 607 Institute or EOTDC) of AVIC1 based at Luoyang, Henan Province. The missile is based on the U.S. AIM-7D Sparrow. Development of the PL-4 began in March 1966, but the programme was seriously delayed because of technical difficulties as well as political impact. The first example for ground testing was completed in November 1980, and the first fireable missile was delivered in 1984. Two variants were introduced including the semi-active radar-homing PL-4A and the infrared-homing PL-4B. The programme was finally cancelled in 1985 due to unsatisfactory performance.

Specifications
Length: 3.235m (PL-4A); 3.128m (PL-4B)
Diameter: 0.19m
Wingspan: N/A
Weight: 150kg (PL-4A); 148kg (PL-4B)
Warhead: 30kg HE
Propulsion: Solid rocket
Max speed: Mach 2.2
G Limit: 40g
Max effective range: 18km (PL-4A); 8km (PL-4B)
Guidance: Semi-active radar (PL-4A); Infrared (PL-4B)

also for ground attacks!
,YJ-63 (KD-63) Land-Attack Cruise Missile,KD-88 (C-802KD) Air-Launched Land-Attack Cruise Missile,LS-6 Precision Guided Glide Bomb,LT-2 Laser Guided Bomb,KAB-1500Kr TV-Guided Bombs were very much needed items!

Long-Range, Area Defence

S-300PMU (SA-10) Air Defence Missile System,HQ-2 Surface-to-Air Missile syestem,HQ-9 Surface-to-Air Missile systems!

S-300PMU (SA-10) Air Defence Missile System

The PLA Air Force (PLAAF)’s Surface-to-Air Missile Corps has been operating the S-300 (NATO reporting name: SA-10 Grumble) family of surface-to-air missile (SAM) system developed by Russian Almaz Central Design Bureau since the mid-1990s. The S-300 missile system was regarded as one of the world’s most effective all-altitude regional air defence system, comparable in performance to the U.S. MIM-104 Patriot system. The PRC remains the largest export customer of the S-300, mainly due to its incapability to produce a similar system domestically or acquire it from another country.
The PRC ordered two battalions (eight batteries) of the S-300PMU (SA-10 Grumble) SAM system in 1991 and received them in 1993. The US$220 million package included 32 truck-towed 5P85T (KrAZ-260V) transporter-erector-launchers (TEL), each with four ready-to-launch semi-active radar homing 5V55U missiles and 4~8 spare missiles, totalling 256~384 missiles in the package. Some additional 120 spare missiles were ordered from Russia in 1994 to replace those fired in exercises.

The contract to purchase two battalions (eight batteries) of the improved S-300PMU1 (SA-10A Grumble) system was signed in 1994 and the delivery took place in the late 1990s. The US$400 million package included 32 self-propelled 5P85SE/DE TEL vehicles and 196 TVM-guidance 48N6E missiles. 50% of the package was paid through barter and 50% in hard currency.

An additional two battalions (eight batteries) of the S-300PMU1 system was ordered in 2001 in a contract worth US$400 million. The packaged included 32 TEL vehicles and 198 missiles, also in the 48N6E model. These missiles were reportedly deployed in the southeast Fujian province across the strait from Taiwan.

In 2002, The PRC ordered two Altair S-300F Rif (NATO reporting name: SA-N-6) shipboard air defence missile complexes worth US$£200 million from Russia. Each of theses complexes consists of six large-size revolver vertical launching systems (VLS), housing eight ready-to-launch 5V55RM semi-active radar homing missiles each. These systems were installed on the PLA Navy’s Type 051C (Luzhou class) missile destroyers.

In 2003, the PRC finalised a contract worth US$980 million with the Russian state export agency Rosoboronexport to acquire four battalions (16 batteries) of the more advanced S-300PMU2 (SA-10B Favorit) system, which was introduced to the international market in 2001. The package included 64 self-propelled 5P85SE2/DE2 TEL vehicles and 256 improved 48N6E2 missiles, which has an extended range of 200km against aircraft and 40km range against ballistic missile. The first two battalions were delivered in 2007, and the rest two battalions are scheduled to be delivered in 2008.

By the end of 2008, the PLAAF will be operating a total of 160 S-300 launchers grouped into 10 SAM battalions (40 batteries). These launchers include 32 S-300PMUs, 64 S-300PMU1s, and 64 S-300PMU2s. Each launcher is equipped with four ready-to-launch missiles and 4~8 spare missiles. If taking additional spare and practice missiles purchased from Russia into account, the total number of missiles received by the PLAAF has amounted well above 1,000.

The acquisition of the S-300 system has significantly improved the PLA’s capability of denying Chinese airspace to enemy air forces. In particular, the latest S-300PMU2 system gives the PLAAF limited ballistic missile defence capability for the first time. As well as serving defensive roles, the missile system could also be used in a more “offensive” manner by deploying them close to the border to force enemy aircraft avoid entering their envelope, thus forming an airspace blockage over enemy territory.

However, the mere 160 launchers are barely adequate to provide cover for few key cities and strategic assets. A number of indigenous SAM development projects have been initiated since the mid-1980s, but none has been able to produce a capable SAM system of the S-300-class. As a result, the PLAAF is forced to continue relying on the obsolete HQ-2 SAM system based on the 1950s-era Soviet SA-2 Guideline technology to provide air-defence in most parts of the country. The PRC was reportedly seeking a licensed co-production of the S-300, but the request may have been turned down by Russia.

HQ-2 Surface-to-Air Missile systems
The HQ-2 (HongQi-2, HongQi = “Red Flag”) is a long-range, medium- to high-altitude surface-to-air missile (SAM) developed from the HQ-1, a Chinese copy of the Soviet Almaz S-75 (NATO codename: SA-2 Guideline). The HQ-2 remained the sole weapon system in service with the PLA SAM forces to protect China’s key targets before the early 1990s. The PLA has been trying to find a successor to the forty-year-old weapon system but all attempts to develop an indigenous SAM have been unsuccessful so far. As a result, the PLA was forced to continue upgrading the HQ-2 with new technologies to extend its service life into the 21st century.
The S-75 (SA-2 Guideline) surface-to-air missile entered Soviet service in 1956. The PLA received a limited number of Soviet-made S-75 missile in early 1960 to arm its first two SAM battalions. On 8 October 1960, one of the SAM battalions used the S-75 missile to shoot down a U.S.-made RB-57D spy plane operated by the Taiwanese air force—the first ever example of using SAM to shoot down a plane in the world. In the next four years, the PLA SAM units shot down another three U.S.-made U-2 spy planes operated by the Taiwanese air force using the S-75 SAM.

While the S-75 SAM began to enter PLA service, a licensed production of the missile in China was also agreed. However, Moscow suspended all of its assistance to China and called back its advisers before the production could begin. The First Ministry of Machinery Industry and 5th Research Academy of Ministry of Defence took the lead in the reverse-engineering of the missile, and the first Chinese-built S-75 missile designated HQ-1 rolled out in 1964. By the mid-1960s, the S-75 and indigenous HQ-1 could no longer shoot down the U-2 after the U.S. added active jamming devices to its reconnaissance aircraft. The PLA urgently needed a SAM with strong electronic countermeasures capabilities.

In 1965 the PLA began to develop an improved SAM based on the HQ-1. 2nd Space Academy (now China Academy of Defence Technology, CADT) was responsible for the general system design, with 139 Factory and 786 Factory in charge of missile and ground station respectively. The main design targets were to improve the missile’s accuracy and resistance to enemy electronic jamming, as well as to increase the missile’s operational zone. The new SAM, which was designated HQ-2, passed its certification test in 1966. Since then, the HQ-2 has been produced in mass numbers for the PLA to protect China’s major cities, military bases, and industrial complexes. The PLA has also introduced a number of improved variants including the HQ-2A and HQ-2B in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

On 8 September 1967, the PLA air defence troops fired three SAM (two HQ-2s and one HQ-1) at a Taiwanese-flown U-2 spy plane, and one of the HQ-2 missiles hit the target despite the plane’s use of electronic jamming. The latest score of the HQ-2 SAM took place on 5 October 1987, when the PLA air defence troops shot down a Vietnamese Air Force MiG-21R (Fishebed-H) reconnaissance plane using the HQ-2 SAM near the China-Vietnamese border.

In 1984, the PLA conducted a series of HQ-2 tests against the Tuqiang-3 guided target missile. According to reports, the HQ-2 and the Tuqiang-3 were launched approximately 100km apart and the HQ-2 SAMs were fired in “salvo shots” of two to three missiles per Tuqiang-3. Four out of five target missiles were shot down. In more tests the following year, the HQ-2 shot down seven out of eleven guided targets. In light of these two tests, the PLA expanded the HQ-2’s role to include anti-missile functions.
Design

The HQ-2 is a large two-stage missile designed to intercept high-altitude targets like strategic bombers and spy planes. Its radar guidance guarantees a single-shot hit probability of 68%, but according to the American's experience in the Vietnam War, this ratio drops sharply when the missile is used in a strong electronic jamming environment. The improved HQ-2B is said to have much improved capability against various active and passive jamming.

The second-stage of the HQ-2 missile is a large liquid rocket, which makes it inconvenient to be maintained and transported. Each missile is carried by a semi-trailer towed by a 6x6 truck, and needs to be loaded onto a fixed launcher before firing. The loading usually takes about 5 minutes but this really depends on the training and experience of missile operators.

The basic operational unit of the HQ-2 SAM is battalion, each including six fixed launchers, 18 spare missiles, early-warning radar, target illuminating radar (ground guidance station) and support units (command, power, communications, etc.)
HQ-2A

The modifications on the HQ-2 SAM began in 1973 to enhance the missile's low altitude target engaging and electronic countermeasure capabilities based on the experience of the Vietnam War. The firing tests of the HQ-2A were undertaken between 1978 and 1982, and the final design certification for batch production was issued in June 1984. The 144 modifications on the HQ-2A include increasing the horizontal firing angle to ±75° from the original ±55°; increasing the speed to 1,200 m/s from the original 1,150 m/s; increasing the G limit to 1.5G from the original 1G; adding optical/TV guidance system and improving the missile's electronic countermeasure capability.

HQ-9 Surface-to-Air Missile system

Key Information
Type: Surface-to-air missile
PLA Designation: HQ-9
NATO Reporting Name: N/A
Contractor: CASIC 2nd Academy (China Academy of Defence Technology)
Service Status: PLA Air Force

Summary
The HQ-9 (HongQi-9) is a long-range, all-altitude, all-weather surface-to-air missile system developed by the China Academy of Defence Technology (also known as CASIC 2nd Academy), a subordinate of the China Aerospace Science & Industry Corporation (CASIC). The HQ-9 was designed to engage multiple airborne targets such as fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters at all altitudes, with limited anti-ballistic missile capability. The HQ-9 is currently serving with both the PLA Air Force (SAM corps) and the PLA Navy.

The HQ-9 development began in the early 1980s, initially based on the U.S. Patriot air defence missile system that China obtained via an unknown third-party country. Like the Patriot, the HQ-9 uses a ‘Track-Via-Missile’ (TVM) terminal guidance system and was originally designed to be launched from a Patriot-style slant-positioned box-shape container launcher. The missile uses a two-stage solid rocket engine. Due to China’s substandard solid fuel rocket technology, the HQ-9 was seriously oversize – the first-stage was 700mm in diameter and the second-stage was 560mm in diameter. As a result, each launch vehicle could only carry two missile tube launchers.

After China obtained the S-300PMU SAM system from Russia in the mid-1990s, certain S-300PMU technologies were used to improve the HQ-9 design. The HQ-9 is believed to have benefited from S-300's solid rocket, aerodynamic layout, gas-dynamic spoilers, and launcher technologies. This has resulted in a modified HQ-9 which is ‘cold-launched’ vertically from a S-300-style tube launcher system. Four tube launchers are carried onboard a 8X8 TEL vehicle with cross-country capability.

The HQ-9 was initially developed to replace the PLA’s bulk of obsolete HQ-2 (Chinese copy of the Soviet/Russian SA-2 Guideline), but the slow progress in the development has led to the PLA’s decision to purchase additional S-300PMU missiles from Russia. By the time the HQ-9 was ready for operational deployment in the late 1990s, the missile was already behind foreign air-defence missiles such as U.S. PAC3 and Russian S-300PMU2 in capability and performance. Only a small number of the HQ-9 has been fielded by the PLA for operational trial and evaluations. The naval variant of the HQ-9 has been installed onboard the Type 052C destroyer commissioned in 2004.

The HQ-9 is reported to have a slant range of 200km up to an altitude of 30km. The missile has a proximity fuse with an effective range of 35m, which goes active when the missile is 5km away from its target. The missile is transported and launched on Taian TAS5380 8X8 transport-erector-launcher (TEL), which has four canisters that look almost identical to those used in the S-300PMU1.

Guidance & Fire Control

The HQ-9’s guidance is very similar to that of the Patriot missile, consisting of inertial initial guidance + radio command midcourse correction + track-via-missile (TVM) terminal guidance. Midcourse correction commands are transmitted to the guidance system from the ground engagement control station. The target acquisition system in the missile acquires the target in the terminal phase of flight and transmits the data using the TVM downlink via the ground radar to the engagement control station for final course correction calculations. The course correction commands are transmitted back to the missile via the command uplink.

The HQ-9 system reportedly uses a large HT-233 3D C-band mono-pulse planar phased array radar, which operates in the 300MHz bandwidth and has a detection range of 120km and tracking range of 90km. The radar can detect targets in azimuth (360 degrees) and elevation (0 to 65 degrees), and is capable of tracking some 100 airborne targets and simultaneously engaging more than 50 targets. The radar system is carried on a Taian TAS5380 8X8 heavy-duty cross-country vehicle.

The HQ-9 may also be compatible with the Russian tracking radar, making it suitable to be deployed in combination with the S-300.

FT-2000 Anti-Radiation SAM
In 1998 CPMIEC revealed a unique anti-radiation surface-to-air missile system FT-2000, which was designed engage airborne warning and control system (AWACS) and other electronic warfare aircraft at long ranges. Based on the HQ-9 design, the FT-2000 is fitted with a passive radar-homing seeker and is launched from a 8X8 transport-erector-launcher (TEL) vehicle carrying four missile tube launchers.

The FT-2000 is a scaled down version of the HQ-9 fitted with a passive radar seeker that homes the missile using the electronic emission of enemy AWACS and electronic warfare (EW) aircraft. When the missile detects and locks on to the radar or jammer, it can home on the target autonomously at 1,200m/s while sustaining a 14G overload. The FT-2000 can also be used in co-operation with friendly aircraft when the onboard radar warning receiver detects hostile signal. In addition, the FT-2000 missile has a built-in inertial navigation system, so that whenever it has acquired a lock-on, it will continue towards the target even if the emitter is shut down, although the missile's accuracy would seriously degrade in this case.

For the detection and localisation of hostile radar emissions and jammers the FT-2000 makes use of four ground-based Electronic Support Measures (ESM) sensor posts, each of which is mounted on wheeled vehicles and can together track 50 targets simultaneously. The ESM sensor posts are deployed at a distance 30km from each other. The missile launchers are deployed near the central ESM sensor station at a distance of 150 metres. Additionally, the missile can also be used in conjunction with surveillance and target acquisition radars.

Despite being regarded as the first of its kind in the world, the real effectiveness of the FT-2000 in operation was somehow doubtful. The missile caught great attention when it was first revealed in 1998, but did not enter production due to lack of interest from either domestic or international market.

Specifications
Missile dimensions: N/A
Launch weight: N/A
Propulsion: Two-stage solid propellant rocket motor
Slant range: Minimum 500m; Maximum 200km; or 30km against ballistic missile
Maximum speed: Mach 2
Guidance: TVM semi-active radar homing
Warhead: 180kg
System reaction time: 10 seconds
Single-shot hit probability: 70~90%

how about it!;):tup::tup::tup:

how, about this!
PAF in 2012
70.....f-16
120....j10s
50....j11bs
150....THUNDERS

how about it!;):tup::tup::tup:

thats the best any pakistani can dream of :woot:
but in reality, we are not going for J11B nor we will be. also, J10/FC20 Order still not finalized yet so its crazy to think that we will get 120 FC-20 in short span of 3years. also, there are many jets in PAF's wish list (including European MRCAs) but our economy didn't allow us to go for that luxurious drive. lets hope for the best :pakistan:

thats the best any pakistani can dream of :woot:
but in reality, we are not going for J11B nor we will be. also, J10/FC20 Order still not finalized yet so its crazy to think that we will get 120 FC-20 in short span of 3years. also, there are many jets in PAF's wish list (including European MRCAs) but our economy didn't allow us to go for that luxurious drive. lets hope for the best :pakistan:

Owais;sir
i just can say ,one thing... that any sort of buying from west including US OFA , is over, we cant even think about them, thus we has to rely on chinese hard ware, which is 40% cheaper, & has the same life line spane, also its far ezy to mentain.
we got to get most of them, how much we can, any price to pay, even 2 or 3 our a-bombs to IRAN, which we can benefit politicly, financialy, internationaly.;):D:tup:
thanks a lot!:tup:

sir i would like to know in real statics how many jf-17
does pakistan have currently. and whats the productionline,
how many aircrafts can be built in 1 year.
i would also like to know about the excat number of f-16 pakistan is willing to buy.?:cheers:

Pakistan has the capacity to produce 25 to 30 JF17's in a year, but if it wants to produce more there is always a possability to produce it in China. Pakistan is planning to induct 78 F16's from which 18 would be Block 52 and the rest 60 would get MLU upgrades. Its a really smart move by PAF to get away from American technology and buy more Chinese technology because Chinese have been our all weathered friend. Dont worry about PAF too much my friend, it will be a lethal force by 2012 :pakistan:. The only reason why we are lagging behind right now is because of the sanctions in the 1990's.

Pakistan has the capacity to produce 25 to 30 JF17's in a year, but if it wants to produce more there is always a possability to produce it in China. Pakistan is planning to induct 78 F16's from which 18 would be Block 52 and the rest 60 would get MLU upgrades. Its a really smart move by PAF to get away from American technology and buy more Chinese technology because Chinese have been our all weathered friend. Dont worry about PAF too much my friend, it will be a lethal force by 2012 :pakistan:. The only reason why we are lagging behind right now is because of the sanctions in the 1990's.

thank you sir for the information.good to see paf improving.

sir you raised a very important point there about the sanctions, in that regard wont it be better for pakistan to be self dependent on technology.?
:agree:

thank you sir for the information.good to see paf improving.

sir you raised a very important point there about the sanctions, in that regard wont it be better for pakistan to be self dependent on technology.?
:agree:

You are right, in a way sanctions were a blessing in disguise for us. Pakistan has a better indigenous arms industry than India. Since the 1990's, Pakistan's arms industry has come a long way. We are self sufficient to produce our own fighter air craft (JF17), battle tanks such as AlKhalid, SAMS, guns etc. For better info check this link out:

Pakistani Arms Industry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While Pakistan has definitely taken more steps to be more self sufficient, our Indian friends like always rely on Russian technology instead of developing there own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom