What's new

Modern war planes on purchase list

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Friday, June 8, 2012Front Page

Staff Correspondent
The government is purchasing modern war planes and helicopters for air force and working to install an overhaul plant for war planes to modernise the force, the finance minister disclosed yesterday in parliament.

Short-range land to air missiles and portable fuel storage bladders have been collected for the air force, said AMA Muhith while presenting the proposed budget for 2012-13 fiscal year.

He also mentioned that for the first time in history, sophisticated military weapons including MBT-2000 tanks, self-propelled guns, weapons locating radar, armoured personnel carriers (APC), and armoured recovery vehicles and helicopters were procured for the armed forces.

"With a view to developing a time-befitting three dimensional naval force, a naval commando force has been formed. Two maritime helicopters have been purchased," he said, adding that naval ship, missile system, large patrol craft, patrol craft and oil tanker were procured for the navy.

He said in parallel with the purchasing of modern weaponry, “the government has taken initiative to upgrade operational capabilities and effectiveness of the three forces through high quality training”.

He proposed to allocate Tk 12, 985 crore for the defence sector in the next fiscal which is Tk 851 crore higher than the outgoing year's allocation.

The government is pledge-bound to build up a strong and modern defence force capable of addressing the challenges of the 21st century, Muhith said.

Imbued with the spirit of Liberation War, the minister said with pride that the armed forces were discharging their overseas peace-keeping duties with reputation. “Bangladesh tops the list of countries sending troops to the UN peacekeeping missions,” he said.

As many as 11,000 Bangladeshi peacekeepers are engaged in different missions, Muhith said. In his last year's budget speech, the minister had said that the number was around 9,000 that time.

Muhith said over the last three years, Bangladesh peacekeepers earned a total of Tk 4,430 crore. “This year's foreign exchange earnings from this source is equivalent to Tk 1, 980 crore,” he added.

any infos on the type of planes ???

They didn't publicly disclose the type. It is likely to be the MiG-29, since they are also getting an overhaul facility.

According to Wiki (can't say if it's reliable), Bangladesh will be getting MiG-29M2 (twin-seater), along with various Yak-130 and Yak-152 trainers.
Bangladesh Airforce is signing a contract with Russia for 8 Mig-29 M2, 16 Yak-130 AJT and YAK-152s to replace her age old fleet of PT-6. After two years of receiving these aircraft Bangladesh Airforce will introduce SU-30MK2s
Bangladesh Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MiG-29M/M2 (AKA "Super Fulcrum"):
83130_1157137684.jpg

From MiG's official site:
Both the MiG-29M (single seat) and MiG-29M2 (double seat) aircraft are the "4++" generation multi-role fighters with the extended range, weapons increased load and airborne weapons broad nomenclature.

Main technical and technological innovations applied on the MiG-29M/M2 fighters are as follows:
– improved fuselage & wing;
– fly-by-wire control system with quadruple redundancy;
– significantly reduced radar signature;
– increased internal fuel capacity and in-flight refueling possibility;
– increased weapons load stored at nine external hard points.

The MiG-29M/M2 fighters belong to the new unified combat aircraft family designed on the basis of MiG-29K/KUB carrier-based fighters. (note that the classic MiG-29 variants are no longer in production)

The power plant includes RD-33MK engines with increased thrust power, equipped with smokeless combustion chamber and new electronic control system (of FADEC type). Engines are of the module structure and have increased reliability and service life.

Upon customer’s request the fighters can be equipped with the modified "all aspect" vectored thrust RD-33MK engine ensuring the aircraft superiority in a maneuvering dogfight. The power plant of two vectored thrust engines was tested on the super-maneuverable prototype-aircraft MiG-29M OVT.

The MiG-29M/M2 fighters are remarkable for the improved operational characteristics and increased reliability of assemblies, systems and units. As compared to the previous fighters the flight hour cost is reduced about 2.5 times. The MiG-29M/M2 fighters are intended for the on-condition maintenance.

The airborne avionics is of the open architecture based on MIL-STD-1553B standard that allows the installation on aircraft of new equipment and weapons of Russian and foreign origin upon customer request.

The fighter has multi-role, multi-mode "pulse-Doppler" type radar "Zhuk-ME" manufactured by "Fazotron-NIIP" Corporation. The radar is provided with the slot array. As compared with radars of the previous generation, "Zhuk-ME" has wider scanning angle in azimuth, twice longer target detection range, less weight and increased reliability. "Zhuk-ME" provides tracking up to 10 air targets with four targets simultaneous firing with missiles.

The MiG-29M/M2 fighters are equipped with state-of-the-art multi-channel IRST with target designation system to the anti-radar passive war-head missiles.

There is the possibility of installation on aircraft of IR and laser sighting equipment pods for ground targets illumination.

Weapons system includes "A-A", "A-S" missiles, guided aerial bombs, rockets, aerial bombs and built-in air-gun of 30 mm caliber. Upon request of the customer the new types of weapons can be applied. The MiG-29M/M2 fighters weapons allow to destruct air targets as well as the movable and stationary ground/surface targets.

Both the single and double seat versions of aircraft have the same airborne equipment and weapons as well as the high unification level of structure.

For the MiG-29M/M2 fighters the full set of training means was developed.
????? ?????????? Opera Mini

On another thread they are saying from now to 2030 we will have two squadron of Su-30, 1 Squadron of Mig- 29 and Yaks and F-7BGI. The total number is so low. My question is will this number grow beyond 30 or 40 units of mig and sukhoi together? Why not we are getting Jas grippen? By the way, bangladesh suppose to build light air craft, i know it is early to ask, but anyone knows the progress? And on another thread someone said we are already thinking to replace F-7BG. Why? China and Pak still have them...why we want to replace them...because they were acquired by BNP? I hope not.

On another thread they are saying from now to 2030 we will have two squadron of Su-30, 1 Squadron of Mig- 29 and Yaks and F-7BGI. The total number is so low. My question is will this number grow beyond 30 or 40 units of mig and sukhoi together? Why not we are getting Jas grippen? By the way, bangladesh suppose to build light air craft, i know it is early to ask, but anyone knows the progress? And on another thread someone said we are already thinking to replace F-7BG. Why? China and Pak still have them...why we want to replace them...because they were acquired by BNP? I hope not.

At current growth rates, Bangladesh economy would grow to around 1 trillion dollars(PPP) by 2030 at today prices. It's nominal GDP would be around 500 billion dollars. If the economy grows quicker then these numbers would be higher.

I would very much doubt whether there would be any further purchases of 4th generation aircraft after the 16 mentioned SU-30MK2's.

More than likely Bangladesh would be looking at stealth fighters for the 2020s. The candidates would be F-35, Pak-FA and the Chinese stealth fighter in development specifically designed for export.

With the much more massive size of the Bangladesh economy in the next decade, the country should easily be able to afford around 50 or so of these fighters.

At current growth rates, Bangladesh economy would grow to around 1 trillion dollars(PPP) by 2030 at today prices. It's nominal GDP would be around 500 billion dollars. If the economy grows quicker then these numbers would be higher.

I would very much doubt whether there would be any further purchases of 4th generation aircraft after the 16 mentioned SU-30MK2's.

More than likely Bangladesh would be looking at stealth fighters for the 2020s. The candidates would be F-35, Pak-FA and the Chinese stealth fighter in development specifically designed for export.

With the much more massive size of the Bangladesh economy in the next decade, the country should easily be able to afford around 50 or so of these fighters.

Stealth fighters huh?!?!? Why you wanna sneak up on fishermen in BOB and scare the bjesus out of them?? :P

Except US no other country has stealth fighters. Even they have a hard time justifying the cost. I don't think BD will be able to afford Stealth fighters in the next 30 years. With a big ***if*** someone is willing to sell it to you :)

Stealth fighters huh?!?!? Why you wanna sneak up on fishermen in BOB and scare the bjesus out of them?? :P

Except US no other country has stealth fighters. Even they have a hard time justifying the cost. I don't think BD will be able to afford Stealth fighters in the next 30 years. With a big ***if*** someone is willing to sell it to you :)

I am talking in the middle of the next decade, not now.

Bangladesh is not allowed to buy Jas Grippen, it uses US engine thus requires their permission before selling, USA hasn't allowed BD yet to sell their fighters.

Recently established Bangabandhu Aeronautical Center is supposed to launch its first light fighter within 2021. It's been founded with technical assistance of China and also Russia is supposed to provide technical assistance there.

4++ generation fighters would be around for a long time in service.

Fifth-generation aircraft are something very new today. Forget the F-35, they'll never sell such an advanced piece of equipment to Bangladesh.

The PAK FA and the J-20 aren't even in service yet. The latter of which we don't even know if it's a production prototype or not. There's also some rumor that the Chinese are working on some aircraft that'd mirror the F-35.

But that's all for the long term.

Bangladesh is not allowed to buy Jas Grippen, it uses US engine thus requires their permission before selling, USA hasn't allowed BD yet to sell their fighters.

Recently established Bangabandhu Aeronautical Center is supposed to launch its first light fighter within 2021. It's been founded with technical assistance of China and also Russia is supposed to provide technical assistance there.

I think the US did offer us the F-16 recently. It was one of the candidates against the MiG-29.

We favored the MiG-29 since we already operate it.

There is no restrictions whatsover in selling gripen to BD.

Gripens have bee sold to Thailand and S. Africa too.

...Isn't MIG a fuel hungry beast? I would go for latest variant of SU-30.

There is no restrictions whatsover in selling gripen to BD.

Gripens have bee sold to Thailand and S. Africa too.

It uses an American engine.

So, there'd certainly be strings attached.

The Su-30 being much heavier is even more expensive to maintain than the MiG.

Who cares if it's fuel hungry as long as it is a beast? :P

There is a multijet CRDI diesel engined Mig-29 coming soon. Bookings are open.

Mileage as per rumours is 30 KMPL.

It uses an American engine.

So, there'd certainly be strings attached.

The Su-30 being much heavier is even more expensive to maintain than the MiG.

Who cares if it's fuel hungry as long as it is a beast? :P

We have countries that use fully American jets in neighbourhood.

Once the initial deal and the spare engines are purchased its a deal.

As far as i know BD have no issues with US.

I thought BD is buying F22 or F35 or Rafale :D

I dont think BD to spend money on it....whom they are gonna fight...Even if they fight what is the use....:azn:

We have countries that use fully American jets in neighbourhood.

Once the initial deal and the spare engines are purchased its a deal.

As far as i know BD have no issues with US.

We have good relations with the US. The thing is, US equipment are expensive. The attached strings does not always bode well for a cash-strapped air force like BAF.

I am saying this even though I personally prefer US equipment :D

I thought BD is buying F22 or F35 or Rafale :D

Would you pay for them? :P

I dont think BD to spend money on it....whom they are gonna fight...Even if they fight what is the use....:azn:

Every country need some form of defense - sufficiently that is. And BAF is a relatively small force. The South Asian neighborhood isn't the most stable in the world. So, better safe than sorry :D

Back
Top Bottom