What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

I didn't really know about the 5 variant. I wonder if it has improved range since the Ababil 3 only has 100 km total range and 4 hours flight time, which is not that great. That would mean it's limited to short range targets.

Tajikistan didn't get the 3 or the 5 variants. They seemed to have received the kamikaze / surveillance variants. I wonder how much each version costs. On the other hand, for a tiny country like Tajikistan, the short range and cheap price of the Ababil might be appealing since they only face immediate threats.

Ababil-5 can carry just as much armaments as TB2 maybe more

6 figure PGM layout

View attachment 845448

Light fighters / trainer aircraft Iran can do, however for a modern fighter jet to replace much of the inventory Iran's only viable options seem to be SU-27 flanker variants (SU-30/SU-35) from Russia or J-10 from China. Iran could have purchased JF-17, but the higher ups in the airforce are not interested. The Ukraine conflict has probably made it more likely than ever that Iran will get something sooner or later but we have to wait and see.
Iran could buy J-10 but army didn't want it . maybe if china at the time would have offered J-10c they would agree on buying it.

and no we don't need flanker . what we need is fighters like J-10c or Mig-35 but with more emphasis on Datalink between the planes. and with the same amount of money you want to spend in flankers you can get twice of those medium fighters.
which is probably the most advanced F-5E/F derivative in the world with a 4.0 Generation combat suit
the most advanced are considered to be the Brazilian ones
TB-2 does not cost $5M a drone. It cost around 1M to 2M. It’s a cheap drone, basically ababil class.

more like in class of Mohajer-6
n00995034-b.jpg

It looks like its not just the tail section,but the wing as well thats been redesigned.
people can decide for themselves if its a new engine or the old one
iu

they claim they elongated it by 1.6m and can carry up to 4-6 ton of cargo something like illushin-112, Casa CN-235 and Boeing V-22 Osprey
Wonder if its possible to add an airborne radar to it ?

Again, you should not trust General TheImmortal comments especially on the subject of Iranian combat aircraft.

The Shafaq project has always been active in the background and this project is far from dead. Iran has weapons and secret project not revealed but people here we have a lot of difficulty understanding this.

You will see in the future that was right here.

I didn't really know about the 5 variant. I wonder if it has improved range since the Ababil 3 only has 100 km total range and 4 hours flight time, which is not that great. That would mean it's limited to short range targets.

Tajikistan didn't get the 3 or the 5 variants. They seemed to have received the kamikaze / surveillance variants. I wonder how much each version costs. On the other hand, for a tiny country like Tajikistan, the short range and cheap price of the Ababil might be appealing since they only face immediate threats.

Range is mostly due to LoS limitations since Iran lacks geo-sats. Even T-B2 has a limited range without geo stat link up.

The Shafaq project has always been active in the background and this project is far from dead. Iran has weapons and secret project not revealed but people here we have a lot of difficulty understanding this.

baghdad-bob.jpg

We make production line for this ... we redesign the structure and technically this is not AN-140 anymore ... The only question is engine and avionics which they said its better than IrAn-140 ... if true and we are able to produce it in number , then generally it would solve some of our big problems ...

If it prove be reliable aircraft , then we can use it for our regional flight route , for example between Ahvaz and Shiraz , Shiraz And Isfahan and it will immidietly will break back bone of sanction of ban of selling airctraft to our airliners ....

No, it's the same engine. maybe some tweaks, nothing more.
See, this annoys me. As great as this achievement is until we get an 100% indigenous engine then there is always the chance we could be exploited. Nonetheless, Simorgh is a great leap forward for our aviation industry.

Agha Sattari is a great manager (VP for Science & Technology since Rouhani era - Raisi kept him in his position)

See, this annoys me. As great as this achievement is until we get an 100% indigenous engine then there is always the chance we could be exploited. Nonetheless, Simorgh is a great leap forward for our aviation industry.

Agha Sattari is a great manager (VP for Science & Technology since Rouhani era - Raisi kept him in his position)

Well , I doubt it would be hard to get production license of it from Russians ... although if we could create owj , then making engine for this one is not far from our reach ...

Well , I doubt it would be hard to get production license of it from Russians ... although if we could create owj , then making engine for this one is not far from our reach ...
Okay hold on so I'm now 50% less annoyed. Check this out

1652989811186.png

So the engine itself is not an Iranian design BUT according to this MODAFL catalogue Iran produces the engine under license. I guess this is good, but this engine has been used on this type of bird since 2007. Let's hope our scientists and engineers find ways to improve the design and eventually evolve the engine into a more powerful design

I see absolutely no reason why not.
S_100B_at_Malmen_2010-06-13_1.jpg
well thats a solution but don't forget it has 60 degree deadzone in front and back and only see 120 degree on each side

Okay hold on so I'm now 50% less annoyed. Check this out

View attachment 845508

So the engine itself is not an Iranian design BUT according to this MODAFL catalogue Iran produces the engine under license. I guess this is good, but this engine has been used on this type of bird since 2007. Let's hope our scientists and engineers find ways to improve the design and eventually evolve the engine into a more powerful design
whats less annoying about it , Antonov licensed TV3-117VMA-SBM1from Klimov and rebranded it as motor-sich Al-30 series 1 and used it in An-140

Last edited:
well thats a solution but don't forget it has 60 degree deadzone in front and back and only see 120 degree on each side

whats less annoying about it , Antonov licensed TV3-117VMA-SBM1from Klimov and rebranded it as motor-sich Al-30 series 1 and used it in An-140

we can ask Russians for help ...

or even Ask for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klimov_TV7-117 which is used and going to use in

and

I doubt even Russia is foolish enough to make us disappointed by not helping us about this issue ...

At least they can help us to resolve TV3-117VMA-SBM1 problem in hot weather ...

Its matter of time and money and management for us to produce suitable engine ...

Last edited:
First of all SU-35 is not “maintenance heavy” if that is what you are implying especially in comparison to Chinese engine in the J-10.

Second Iran can already build or rehaul the F-5 via the Kowsar variant so no need to reinvent the entire wheel for an advanced trainer or light fighter when it already has a production variant ready. Even 24 Yak-130s would be better than another fruitless effort to build ANOTHER light weight fighter.

The main issue for Iran (besides AESA airborne radar and a ultra modern EW/ECW/sensor package) is the engine. Until you have a heavy engine....you are stuck. And no country in the world is turning over heavy engine tech. China had to spend decades mastering their heavy engine and they had the most access as any country in the world to the latest Russian engines and technology via espionage and other means.

So I’m tired of having this same argument every other week.

Until the engine tech is solved there is no future Iranian fighter. And no country semi friendly to Iran is turning over heavy engine tech. Look what India got in SU-30MKI and SU-75 ToT joint production deal....next to nothing.
It is always nice to research before posting. Iran already produces (from scratch) its own HESA Kowsar-I fighter which is probably the most advanced F-5E/F derivative in the world with a 4.0 Generation combat suit. It is equipped with a local newly built turbojet called OWJ and has a BVR engagement capability up to 93-94 KM (8 x target detection; 2 x simultaneous engagement). If equipped with PL-12 for WVR + R-73E/M (45-60 deg off bore) for WVR combination with HMD, this jet can take on any 4.0 generation fighter jet in the region. The problem of IRIAF is the requirement for a long-range air superiority aerial fighter. Had we acquired some 150+ F-14A instead of 79 we would not have this shortage. So unless we start domestically producing some futuristic version of F-14A or we get Mig-31BM/Su-35S this problem will sustain. We do not need strike aircraft as our missile power (BM and CM) both and UCAV fleet is enormous and combat-proven.

kowsar_5-jpg.816901

1065569_623.jpg

DlH66AJXgAArs8z.jpg

1621944461231-png.747226
DlJFnjiWwAAPCMO

2944798.jpg
Su-35 heavy-weight with dual engine and PESA vs single-engine medium-weight AESA aircraft.
As for Kowsar, If you guys are happy with it, good for you, but when I talk of light-weight aircraft, I don't meant LIFT platform but rather a 4.5 Gen aircraft with composites, single-engine fully digital fly by wire, AESA radar along with good EW suite/net-centric capability.

Of course, engine is an issue along with some other things, and that is why I suggested in my previous post to JOINTLY produce an aircraft, something like we have done with China with JF-17. You can secure those parts which can't be domestically produced yet and keep yourself equipped with latest/advanced technologies in the meantime. If you want to do it all alone, Good Luck!

What I opined is keeping in view the budget restraints too of IRIAF. Despite CM/BMs, Airpower is essential in any conflict since last century. There is no alternative to it and with Iran's enemies having/soon to induct latest variants of aircraft like Typhoons, Rafales, F-16s,F-15s, I don't think you people can ignore such threats.

Unfortunately, I observe too much arrogance from many of you guys which doesn't help you in anything at all. I will take my leave. Best of Luck to IRIAF!

Back
Top Bottom