What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

If we mount Fajr series on Karrar, we can attain that technology.

Iran can develop something like Kalibr with ease. There is zero technical barriers for Iran. What makes ramjet systems different is that they are supersonic throughout their flight. I am liking Khanzadi so far. He has given us many good news in the naval sector. Thanks to all our Shirmardan and Shirzana working day and night to propel our defence industry forward.

Are we sure he said "turbofan"? I expect supersonic system to be of the ramjet nature.
may be a missile like 3M-54 kalibr
upload_2020-6-19_1-25-10.jpeg

Sure, it could be a system using a Qader/Qadir like system (with a new turbofan) as first stage and a solid fuelled 2nd stage. This is certainly a possibility. This could be a good solution for Iranian navy.
Yes it's a good solution, long range capability thanks to turbofan engine which is very difficult to achieve with ramjet engine and supersonic speed at terminal phase makes it hard to intercept by ships defenses

From what I understand, the Kalibr missile is a 2 stage system. It flies at subsonic speed using its jet engine and then when near the target, a second solid fuelled stage takes over and pushes the missile into supersonic speed.
I will wait for clarification before conjecturing further. I will certainly be surprised if they go with a turbofan solution. This is an incredible news regardless of the details.
Nevermind, the article I read at first which explained how the system worked was confusing, so I just removed what I wrote here. Anyway we have to wait until they show what they really designed.

Last edited:
Few year ago they stated the same thing: “... we are waiting for the high ranked authorities to start mass production of supersonic anti-ship missiles...”

Kalibr/YJ-18 equivalent.
There is no other reason to call a supersonic missile a turbofan engine equipped one.

IRGC-N may already have it in horizontal launch version. Navy likely is second in the order list and needs a VLS version of it.

Purely ramjet engines do not fit well in a Navy VLS, if they do they have too short range/small warhead.

Turbofan is required because it needs that 700km range, carry the heavy kill stage and do a search pattern once inside target area.
This search pattern is one of its benefits over ASBM's.
Your kill chain component of targeting must work well when ASBM's are to be used.
With Kalibr you can basically send it into a sector where enemy activity is suspected.
So when your targeting capability is degraded and the seeker as a recognizing AI, a Kalibr like CM is every useful even if ASBM are available.

This has just made my day. Thank you brother. Finally we have confirmation that a supersonic air breathing AshM is coming soon.
Are we sure he said "turbofan"? I expect supersonic system to be of the ramjet nature.
yes he said it

Admiral Khanzadi also said long range CMs will be unveiled soon and that Navy is after VLS for its missiles and that Navy is going to build Talaeyh missiles.

Ea3VZ2_X0AA_VJa

Kalibr/YJ-18 equivalent.
There is no other reason to call a supersonic missile a turbofan engine equipped one.

IRGC-N may already have it in horizontal launch version. Navy likely is second in the order list and needs a VLS version of it.

Purely ramjet engines do not fit well in a Navy VLS, if they do they have too short range/small warhead.

Turbofan is required because it needs that 700km range, carry the heavy kill stage and do a search pattern once inside target area.
This search pattern is one of its benefits over ASBM's.
Your kill chain component of targeting must work well when ASBM's are to be used.
With Kalibr you can basically send it into a sector where enemy activity is suspected.
So when your targeting capability is degraded and the seeker as a recognizing AI, a Kalibr like CM is every useful even if ASBM are available.

Rumours Iran purchased the Kalibr export version (Club-S) for the Kilo class subs.
If true maybe they reverse engineered them and made its own version

That missile mockup looks like a ramjet system to me.
It looks like the Kh-31 missile, which is an air to surface missile with a solid booster for the initial launch and a ram jet for the rest of the flight. It might also be the P 270 Moskit missile, which has ram jets on some variants.

Iran’s Navy Commander: Supersonic Missiles Production atop Agenda

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi said that Iran will soon develop the third generation of supersonic missiles, adding that new turbofan engines will be used to accelerate the speed of the supersonic missiles in near future.
There will be changes in the engines of the Navy’s missiles that will enable them to tolerate higher temperature for longer time
, Khanzadi said.

He added that the fueling and navigation systems of the Navy will also undergo changes.

Rear Admiral Khanzadi noted, “Today we have reached the range of 300 kilometers and we will achieve a bedazzling range in near future.”

He said that the Navy is also pursuing production of the generation of Talaeey-e missiles, adding, “The missiles that have been used as cruise today, are of the infrasonic generation and they will fly with supersonic speed soon.”

In sum, we are trying to make the missiles capable of vertical flight as this will enable us to station more missiles on the deck of the ships to shoot at a variety of targets, Khanzadi further said.

In June, the Admiral had stressed his forces' full determination and preparedness to defend the country against enemies' threats.

Iranian Navy forces are standing firmly against all enemies' plots and are afraid of no threat, Rear Admiral Khanzadi said on June 10.

Iranian soldiers have always stood for establishing security and keeping the global arrogance away from Iranian borders, especially in the sea.

https://en.farsnews.ir/newstext.aspx?nn=13990330000343

It looks like the Kh-31 missile, which is an air to surface missile with a solid booster for the initial launch and a ram jet for the rest of the flight. It might also be the P 270 Moskit missile, which has ram jets on some variants.

Many of these systems tend to look similar. It is the subtle differences that sets them apart. For example here is a Chinese Supersonic AshM:

YJ-12:

yj-12a-anti-ship-missile-parade-china-1492675706096-1-0-398-640-crop-1492675721684.jpg

Iran’s Navy Commander: Supersonic Missiles Production atop Agenda

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi said that Iran will soon develop the third generation of supersonic missiles, adding that new turbofan engines will be used to accelerate the speed of the supersonic missiles in near future.
There will be changes in the engines of the Navy’s missiles that will enable them to tolerate higher temperature for longer time
, Khanzadi said.

He added that the fueling and navigation systems of the Navy will also undergo changes.

Rear Admiral Khanzadi noted, “Today we have reached the range of 300 kilometers and we will achieve a bedazzling range in near future.”

He said that the Navy is also pursuing production of the generation of Talaeey-e missiles, adding, “The missiles that have been used as cruise today, are of the infrasonic generation and they will fly with supersonic speed soon.”

In sum, we are trying to make the missiles capable of vertical flight as this will enable us to station more missiles on the deck of the ships to shoot at a variety of targets, Khanzadi further said.

In June, the Admiral had stressed his forces' full determination and preparedness to defend the country against enemies' threats.

Iranian Navy forces are standing firmly against all enemies' plots and are afraid of no threat, Rear Admiral Khanzadi said on June 10.

Iranian soldiers have always stood for establishing security and keeping the global arrogance away from Iranian borders, especially in the sea.

https://en.farsnews.ir/newstext.aspx?nn=13990330000343

Many of these systems tend to look similar. It is the subtle differences that sets them apart. For example here is a Chinese Supersonic AshM:

YJ-12:

yj-12a-anti-ship-missile-parade-china-1492675706096-1-0-398-640-crop-1492675721684.jpg
Well the Kh 31 is much smaller than the P 270 and the YJ 12, but yea, they all follow a general form to achieve such supersonic speeds.

Back
Top Bottom