What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

ALCON,

Didn't see this posted before. This is an article from MashreghNews that talks about new warhead designs for existing Zelzal rockets/missiles.

The end result is something like a Fateh-110 in appearance and the article seems to allude that they're using proven guidance/control technology from the Fateh-110 family and using it to upgrade the previously unguided Zelzals.

Could be wrong though, I'm relying entirely on Google Translate here..

http://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/703285/از-عماد-تا-زلزال-نسل-جدید-کلاهک-روی-موشک-ها-و-راکت-های-ایرانی

This images is apparently that of an upgraded Zelzal:
UpgradedZelzal.jpg

ALCON,

Didn't see this posted before. This is an article from MashreghNews that talks about new warhead designs for existing Zelzal rockets/missiles.

The end result is something like a Fateh-110 in appearance and the article seems to allude that they're using proven guidance/control technology from the Fateh-110 family and using it to upgrade the previously unguided Zelzals.

Could be wrong though, I'm relying entirely on Google Translate here..

http://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/703285/از-عماد-تا-زلزال-نسل-جدید-کلاهک-روی-موشک-ها-و-راکت-های-ایرانی

This images is apparently that of an upgraded Zelzal:
View attachment 391615
I`d been wondering if they were eventually going to do this,its rather ironic considering that the 110 was originally based on the zelzal,but it certainly makes very good sense to do this.I`m not sure the picture is anything more than the standard 110 as the latest version of the fateh has a redesigned warhead and guidance section that allows it to separate in flight,altho if they`re planning to upgrade all the 110s with the new separating warhead then that might mean that all the old warhead/guidance packages are then going to be available to be retro fitted onto the zelzals so who knows,anyway its a potential big boost to irans already very formidable missile forces.

I`d been wondering if they were eventually going to do this,its rather ironic considering that the 110 was originally based on the zelzal,but it certainly makes very good sense to do this.I`m not sure the picture is anything more than the standard 110 as the latest version of the fateh has a redesigned warhead and guidance section that allows it to separate in flight,altho if they`re planning to upgrade all the 110s with the new separating warhead then that might mean that all the old warhead/guidance packages are then going to be available to be retro fitted onto the zelzals so who knows,anyway its a potential big boost to irans already very formidable missile forces.

The last picture has "Zelzal" written on the missile.
Still, this supposed upgrade was always a mystery for me. Zelzal rockets have higher speed (due to lower burn time) than Fateh missiles. Won't this affect the guidance system? Can those control surfaces tolerate this higher speed? And if the engine was also replaced in the course of this upgrade, which part of the new missile is actually from the older Zelzal rocket?

The last picture has "Zelzal" written on the missile.
Still, this supposed upgrade was always a mystery for me. Zelzal rockets have higher speed (due to lower burn time) than Fateh missiles. Won't this affect the guidance system? Can those control surfaces tolerate this higher speed? And if the engine was also replaced in the course of this upgrade, which part of the new missile is actually from the older Zelzal rocket?
I doubt the engine would have been replaced as most of these types of rocket/missile have the engine cast into the airframe so to replace it would effectively mean replacing most of the missile body.The movable control surfaces appear to be one piece metal or plastic/composite that just plug in to the actuators on the missile body so I would think unless there was a big increase in either acceleration or max velocity they`ll probably be ok.As for the guidance system it would likely once again depend on how big an increase/difference in acceleration and velocity there is as well as how much flexibility has been built into the system.

آیت الله خامنه‌ای
جنجال های گسترده ای که در مورد توان موشکی جمهوری اسلامی به‌راه انداخته می‌شود، به‌دلیل خشم و کینه ای است که از این عامل اقتدار در دل دارند.
فرمانده کل قوا تأکید کردند: ما موشک داریم و موشک های ما بسیار دقیق است و اهداف مورد نظر را از فاصله هزاران کیلومتری با دقت بالا، هدف قرار می دهد و این توانایی را با قدرت حفظ خواهیم کرد و با قدرت هم آن را افزایش خواهیم داد.
http://www.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=13960220001003

آیت الله خامنه‌ای
جنجال های گسترده ای که در مورد توان موشکی جمهوری اسلامی به‌راه انداخته می‌شود، به‌دلیل خشم و کینه ای است که از این عامل اقتدار در دل دارند.
فرمانده کل قوا تأکید کردند: ما موشک داریم و موشک های ما بسیار دقیق است و اهداف مورد نظر را از فاصله هزاران کیلومتری با دقت بالا، هدف قرار می دهد و این توانایی را با قدرت حفظ خواهیم کرد و با قدرت هم آن را افزایش خواهیم داد.
The good thing is that Rouhani finally showed his true face.
another failure for those who were saying JCPOA has nothing to do with our missiles.

آیت الله خامنه‌ای

Kindly post bit of conclusive or an over all detail in English for international readers, as a standard.

Thanks

I did some calculation on the Zolfaghar missile of the Fateh family presented last year.

It revealed quite some details about it, I will sum up the findings:

- Compared to the Fateh the Zolfaghar uses a separating re entry vehicle first and foremost because it's a quasi-ballistic missile flying at a depressed trajectory with a gliding RV. Its not much bigger than the Fateh family but due to its gliding RV it reached extended ranges of 700km. 1/4 or up to 1/3 of the range is due to the lifting body of the RV.

Separation to a RV is due to defeat anti-ballistic missile systems, from Patriot PAC-3 to THAAD, not because of range. Once separated the small RV has quite high aerodynamic maneuvering capability via its fins, my calculations have shown ~5G at 45km altitude. At already 37km altitude it reached around 20G which is likely near what the RV can structurally endure.

This means that if the Zolfaghar has a apogee of 50km altitude due to the quasi-ballistic depressed trajectory with gliding RV, the last 200km of 700km would be at around that altitude of 37km. Hence already outside the range of THAAD and Patriot the Zolfaghar will have full aerodynamic maneuverability of ~20G, reaching 30G and more as it descents further (34km altitude).

For a reasonable probability of kill the interceptor (THAAD/Patriot) would need to have a higher overload than that 20-30G. How much higher is questionable but there is not much room to increase the G overload, 50G is the upper end.

It's possible that the Zolfaghar RV has a gas control or sustainer engine with TVC in its read part. If so, this has to be added to the stated aerodynamic maneuvering capability. If it has such a system, its performance is very close to the Russian Iskander-M, in aerodynamic maneuvering even above it.

In total these points show that the Zolfaghar is almost certainly designed to defeat THAAD, PAC-2/3 and SM-2 and has quite good chances to do so. It's much more different to the Fateh than I initial thought, its the anti-ABM silverbullet in the IRGC-ASF arsenal.

Heres a rather interesting picture showing the then and now of irans missile fueling techniques,some of them,such as using a bucket to fuel a scud,makes one shudder and I have to wonder how many accidents happened back in those early days
C__AB4zUwAAZ4rF.jpg:large

Heres a rather interesting picture showing the then and now of irans missile fueling techniques,some of them,such as using a bucket to fuel a scud,makes one shudder and I have to wonder how many accidents happened back in those early days
We shouldn't lose someone like Tehrani moghadam because of safety issues .In 1985 , during war , understandable .But not in 2011 .:tsk:

Thats the 1980s for you.

Thankfully modern procedures are much more thorough. This is necessary given Iran's large BM arsenal.

Back
Top Bottom