What's new

INS Vikrant to be commissioned by 2017: Naval chief

Posting images of Iraqi Mig 29 !! Just because american drones bomb pakistan u are not american..not yet..
Ant way Junk Fighters carry same Mig Engines so careful what you wish for!!
Jf-17 a somewhat next gen model of RD-33 and for that reason we are also replacing this with WS-13

Thats a brand new one

Asbm, should be Pakistan priority. China and Iran have Deployed this system.

Its a VERY bad Idea to trust the Russians anymore.

They are unreliable, unprofessional and have no honor worth its name. I am glad we are cutting down on our buys from that nation.

India’s First Indigenous Aircraft Carrier to Conduct Basin Trials in 2020
By
Franz-Stefan Gady
-
July 10, 2019

India’s IAC-1 aircraft carrier will likely conduct basin trials in February and March next year, according to a senior Indian naval official.

India’s first domestically built aircraft carrier, the future INS Vikrant, designated IAC-1, is slated to commence basin trials sometime in February or March next year, according to a senior Indian naval official.

“IAC-1 is presently moving at a very, very brisk pace and the plans are to go in for basin trials sometime in February-March next year,” Indian Navy Vice Admiral A. K. Saxena, the controller of Warship Production and Acquisition, was quoted as saying by The Economic Times on July 9.

Basin trials precede sea trials and test a ship in floating condition in calm waters.

“That will be followed with a series of Contract of Sea trials and ultimately culminate in to delivery of the ship sometime in early 2021. Towards this, a hectic activity is going on board the ship,” the vice admiral added.

The carrier is lead ship of the Indian Navy’s Vikrant-class, the first carrier class to be designed and built in India under Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) program, which in turn is part of the Indian Ministry of Defense’s (MoD) Maritime Capability Perspective Plan.

Construction of the carrier began in 2009. The new flattop was officially launched in August 2013 and relaunched in June 2015.

The head of the Indian Navy, Admiral Sunil Lanba, announced in December 2018 that sea trials of the new carrier were slated to commence in 2020. Originally, the carrier was scheduled to be delivery to the Navy in 2014 and commissioned in 2016. The commissioning was then pushed back to 2018 with sea trials to take place in 2017.

There are multiple reasons for the delay, as I explained previously:

Construction of the carrier was delayed multiple times over the last few years primarily due to hold-ups in procurement including contractual disputes with Russia’s Rosoboronexport over the construction of the carrier’s aviation complex.

The program has also been plagued by cost overruns with the carrier, as of now, costing as much as $4 billion more than originally budgeted. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi allocated an extra $3 billion to the IAC program in 2014 to speed up construction of the Vikrant.

The 40,000-ton Vikrant operates a ski-jump assisted Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery (STOBAR) launch systems for launching aircraft. Asked about the start of flight trials aboard the carrier, Saxena said: “Flight trials are to start after the delivery. There will be some activity prior to the delivery, which is aviation facility complex and making the ships ready for flight trials thereafter.”

The new carrier will be able to accommodate up to 40 aircraft.

India’s First Indigenous Aircraft Carrier to Conduct Basin Trials in 2020
By
Franz-Stefan Gady
-
July 10, 2019

India’s IAC-1 aircraft carrier will likely conduct basin trials in February and March next year, according to a senior Indian naval official.

India’s first domestically built aircraft carrier, the future INS Vikrant, designated IAC-1, is slated to commence basin trials sometime in February or March next year, according to a senior Indian naval official.

“IAC-1 is presently moving at a very, very brisk pace and the plans are to go in for basin trials sometime in February-March next year,” Indian Navy Vice Admiral A. K. Saxena, the controller of Warship Production and Acquisition, was quoted as saying by The Economic Times on July 9.

Basin trials precede sea trials and test a ship in floating condition in calm waters.

“That will be followed with a series of Contract of Sea trials and ultimately culminate in to delivery of the ship sometime in early 2021. Towards this, a hectic activity is going on board the ship,” the vice admiral added.

The carrier is lead ship of the Indian Navy’s Vikrant-class, the first carrier class to be designed and built in India under Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) program, which in turn is part of the Indian Ministry of Defense’s (MoD) Maritime Capability Perspective Plan.

Construction of the carrier began in 2009. The new flattop was officially launched in August 2013 and relaunched in June 2015.

The head of the Indian Navy, Admiral Sunil Lanba, announced in December 2018 that sea trials of the new carrier were slated to commence in 2020. Originally, the carrier was scheduled to be delivery to the Navy in 2014 and commissioned in 2016. The commissioning was then pushed back to 2018 with sea trials to take place in 2017.

There are multiple reasons for the delay, as I explained previously:

Construction of the carrier was delayed multiple times over the last few years primarily due to hold-ups in procurement including contractual disputes with Russia’s Rosoboronexport over the construction of the carrier’s aviation complex.

The program has also been plagued by cost overruns with the carrier, as of now, costing as much as $4 billion more than originally budgeted. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi allocated an extra $3 billion to the IAC program in 2014 to speed up construction of the Vikrant.

The 40,000-ton Vikrant operates a ski-jump assisted Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery (STOBAR) launch systems for launching aircraft. Asked about the start of flight trials aboard the carrier, Saxena said: “Flight trials are to start after the delivery. There will be some activity prior to the delivery, which is aviation facility complex and making the ships ready for flight trials thereafter.”

The new carrier will be able to accommodate up to 40 aircraft.

@Deino

Any recent news? I must admit the most recent image of IAC-1 I know is from early 2019 and the ship looked in no way as it would be ready for first trails in early 2020. Do you have more recent images of the vessel?

Any recent news? I must admit the most recent image of IAC-1 I know is from early 2019 and the ship looked in no way as it would be ready for first trails in early 2020. Do you have more recent images of the vessel?
You can look at the satellite images. Link

It is still under fitting. It will be pushed beyond 2020. But sea trials will begin next by March, flight trials in 2021. Commissioning will probably be by late 2021.

You can look at the satellite images. Link

It is still under fitting. It will be pushed beyond 2020. But sea trials will begin next by March, flight trials in 2021. Commissioning will probably be by late 2021.

Thanks a lot, but is this realistically? The ship today does not look as if it might be ready for February/March trails and as such a hand-over even in late 2021 seem plain unrealistic to me?

From the latest reports I read IAC-1 was indeed - schedule from December 2018 - planned to conduct basin trials in 2020 (eventually February/March) but even then without any delays it was hoped that after finalisation it would need 2 years of sea trials.

I know the Type 002 and the IAC-1 are not comparable, but given the Chinese timeline I think the Indian one is plain unrealistic.

PLN Type 002 vs IAC-1 Vikrant.jpg

At GE there are even two later dates from April and November 2019

INS Vikrant - 201902 - 201911.jpg

From the latest reports I read IAC-1 was indeed - schedule from December 2018 - planned to conduct basin trials in 2020 (eventually February/March) but even then without any delays it was hoped that after finalisation it would need 2 years of sea trials.

I know the Type 002 and the IAC-1 are not comparable, but given the Chinese timeline I think the Indian one is plain unrealistic.

pln-type-002-vs-iac-1-vikrant-jpg.587025

At GE there are even two later dates from April and November 2019

ins-vikrant-201902-201911-jpg.587026
I'm not sure of the duration of trials. I quoted an official communicating with the media regarding the dates. Which was already pushed due to delayed subsystems from Russia, US and Italy. The ship is almost completed, what is left as seen from the map is completion of weapons bay incl all decoy launchers, ASWs you can see all the sheds out there.

The bridge, flag bridge and flight control rooms are completed.

ins.PNG

Friend, in addition to last few posts, I found this as update:

https://www.business-standard.com/a...-aircraft-carrier-vikrant-119110100290_1.html

The country's first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC-1), Vikrant, is in advanced stage of construction and will be delivered to the Navy in 2021

Cochin Shipyard Limited has signed Phase III contract for Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) for the Indian Navy. The contract is valued at around Rs 3,000 crore.

The contract covers the operational and harbour acceptance trials of various equipment and systems installed onboard and also the sea trials of the carrier.

The contract also covers some activities which are to be undertaken post delivery of the vessel including support during weapon & aviation trials.

The country’s first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC-1), Vikrant, is in advanced stage of construction and will be delivered to the Navy in 2021 for advanced trials.

Vikrant, weighing 40,000 tonnes, is being built by Cochin Shipyard Limited. It works on Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery (STOBAR) mechanism similar to the present carrier INS Vikramaditya with an angular ski-jump. The ship is powered by four General Electric (GE) gas turbines. It will operate Russian origin MiG-29K fighters, which also fly from Vikramaditya.

Photo update
Indian newspaper Economic Times reported that INS Vikrant has fired up its engine for the first time.

59c4-ikcacer5735544.jpg

Back
Top Bottom