What's new

Indian media highlight controversy over Mumbai property advert

SBD-3

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Newspapers are highlighting a controversy over a discriminatory property advert that barred Muslims from applying for a flat in Mumbai.

The advert, posted by an agent on popular property website 99acres.com, sought applications from those seeking to rent a flat in Mumbai, but allegedly said "Muslims not allowed".

The ad was removed after prominent activist Shehzad Poonawalla filed a petition with the National Commission for Minorities seeking action against the agent and the website, the CNN-IBN website reports.

House owners' discrimination against particular communities in the city of Mumbai is not rare, but this is perhaps the first time a leading website allowed such an ad to be posted, reports say.

Mr Poonawala told the NDTV website that such stereotypes need strict condemnation.

"This advertisement is only a symptom of the stereotype and prejudice that exists in society... I would advise 99 acres to immediately apologise unconditionally to the Muslims because there is an outrage against this advertisement," he told the NDTV.

The 99acres.com has also apologised over the incident and has promised to take measures to avoid such issues in the future.

"We are in the process of putting in place more rigorous checks and processes to prevent the recurrence of such listings. We are deeply embarrassed that our site was misused in this manner," the website said in a statement.

Some reports say such discrimination is not only limited to one community as other groups like gay and lesbians too face difficulties while trying to rent or buy properties in Mumbai.

The First Post website says "such prejudice in the realty market, however, is not new. One often finds posts titled 'only brahmins (upper-class Hindus), Hindus, vegetarians and straight people wanted'".

Meanwhile, senior police officials in the eastern state of Assam have ordered a probe after a satirical US website published a piece titled "The Assam rape festival in India begins this week".

The piece was a satirical comment on India's dismal record on women's security, but some social media users and state police officials feel the website shouldn't have named a state or a country, reports say.

"We have taken up a suo moto (without a formal complaint from any party) case. It is a sensitive issue and we will take up the matter with the website," senior state police official Devraj Upadhyay told the Hindustan Times.

In political news, ruling Congress party has said its spokespersons will not participate in any television studio discussion on opinion polls ahead of the 2014 general elections, The Hindu reports.

"The party will not be participating in programmes that are based on unscientific, opaque and motivated projections," Congress communications chief Ajay Maken told the paper.

The move comes at a time when the party is facing criticism for suggesting a ban on opinion polls, which it termed "unscientific".

BBC News - Indian media highlight controversy over Mumbai property advert

Bl00dy idiots!! The housing society in question must be taken to task! :angry:

What a shame! :tdown:

Its good that we Indians are standing up against what is wrong.

What idiots, they could've just rejected the applications of Muslims on flimsy grounds instead of giving advertisement on the newspaper.....;)....but then these MNS guys are known to be dumb-a*ses....

These kinda ads won't find any support from any quarters. Individuals who are responsible for this idiotic act should be punished under relevant law.

Anyone knows what is NDTV's background?

Why do they report so much negative crap on China, but is an Indian media outlet? I mean the others at least are somewhat objective.

What is their purpose?

Anyone knows what is NDTV's background?

Why do they report so much negative crap on China, but is an Indian media outlet? I mean the others at least are somewhat objective.

What is their purpose?

Their owner is a Chinese.....who also happens to be the owner of the website 'Chinasmack'....:sarcastic:

I wouldn't rent my house (if I had one) to non-vegetarians. If the person is a muslim and vegetarian I will have no problems.

^^^^^^
Vegetarian Muslim?.......are you inventing a new sect of Islam....:girl_wacko:

You will find many Muslims not willing to rent their house to Hindus.

Or you would find Hindus also saying no to hindus if they are not veg. or bachelors.

but putting an advertisement like this is stupid.

It could have been better worded like, only Hindu Non Vegetarian Married Couples working with IT company with less then 2 kids should apply. :sarcastic:

My impression is that the mind-set in question is very prevalent, as amply illustrated by @priti. I would like him/her to let me know the rationale employed to support such segregationist views. I am not pre-supposing it to be something inherently wrong, since such mind-set resulted in creation of Pakistan. I just want to see the view from the other side. What is inherently wrong with omnivorous diet according to Hindu religion or any sect(s) of it? Why should someone feel compelled to shun even indirect contact with a person who has omnivorous diet?

I have had a number of Hindu friends, but it never occurred to me to ask them when I had the chance. Now that I have lost contact with them, I feel that I have to ask my Indian friends on PDF.

@Chak Bamu

Hindus would say no to hindu families if they eat non veg. I have many gujju and jain friends.

they dont allow non-veg in their house. So whether its part of their hose which they want to rent, or some other property, non veg. is not allowed. They do not want non veg items cooked in their house or property.

Though I am non veg, but If I was veg. even I would not give house on rent to non veg people.

No wonder India was declared one of most racist and bigoted countries in the world recently despite being nation of monkey looking people.

Back
Top Bottom