What's new

Indian food-- Best in the world

I admit being a ‘Foodi’. I have eaten in all major cities of Pakistan and also in Bombay, Delhi, Agra and Madras. IMO; in general, food including sweets available in Lahore is the best. There are certain other specialties which some cities specialize in, such as Chapli Kabab of Peshawer, Sajji of Quetta, Ras Malai of Faisalabad (I still think of it as Lyallpur), Palla fish and Rabri of Hyderabad.

As I have stayed at the Delhi Sheraton, I ate many times at the famous “Bukhara” Restaurant. Food is good but not great; instead I found food at the Delhi old city and at Agra very good. Delhi is the only city which can compete with Lahore in the availability of tasty food.

Since I spent a few years in Lahore as a student, I also like Murgh Choley. Actually it is the only dish I make myself in the UAE. To date I have not found tea that taste better than Kashmiri chai we used drink near the cinema in Lahore.

Breakfast at the Marriott in Islamabad was also very good; you could find Lahori Halwa Pratha. I also like Singaporean Chinese food very much because they make it quite hot. Among other foods that I like is Italian food and Mexican food available in Houston, USA (Papa sito)

Maharashtrian Pohe for breakfast...drool

501d3330a8cc813fe33b44e2135e593e.jpg

Arrrgh - do you know how hard it is to stay in a frozen freaking wasteland and not have pohe or thalipit or shrikhand for 3 years??!

That bowl of pohe's made me hungry again. I hope you're happy. :argh:

Probably like how you get Biryani, Nihari, Haleem in nice places... Lol we sell them in Dhabas. Javed ki Nihari anyone?

Oh and I heard student biryani made it to India! Or someone with that name started shop there too. Student Biryani started as a dhaba next to some university in Karachi.

Ok I can go on forever, I'm the king of a big Foodom!

Biryani is available at every restraunt that serves non veg, as well as roadside joints at many places. Nihari is commonly available at every join in Old Delhi but not common at regular joints in the rest of Delhi.

do you have chicken shwarma(not soup which i think is shorba) in pakistan?i've had it in delhi and loved it!it's very greasy though but amazing!
and i've had both 'halal' and 'jhatka' meat...the halal wins hands down!the difference is so much...the halal just melts in mouth!

Biryani is available at every restraunt that serves non veg, as well as roadside joints at many places. Nihari is commonly available at every join in Old Delhi but not common at regular joints in the rest of Delhi.

Best beef nihari and beef magaz and kharoray - Haji Noora, Bara Hindu Rao :cheers:

well i think awadhi food of lakhnow is amazing with its- nahari , tunda kebab , beef stew, kakori kabab. pakistani food is even better as much as i tried in karachi some authenti mughlai restaurent near clifton and yeh lal quila damascus etc. as for delhi - i think karim's at jama masjid is just a hype. i like some small punjabi joint and yeh punjabi by nature. although all this food is too greasy. so i eat less of this stuff and prefer my diet.

nihari is a delhi dish. beef stew would be nihari only?
mutton stew also called ishtew is a delhi dish
tunday ke kebab are available in delhi also.
which dish did you have at karims? man i just love karims.
punjabi by nature is not greasy at all. try their vodka golgappas.

PS: my fav cuisine is thai.

Well I'm definitely not the expert on this, being a vegetarian, maybe other Indian members can elaborate more.

Kabuli pulao is, well, from Kabul :D
I've seen Roghan Josh on menus in India
Keema naan - definitely the same
Aloo daal - eaten it plenty of times. Depends on what daal you're talking about though.

Peshawari ice cream sounds good - what's so Peshawari about it?

This means that India doesn't have any non-veg menu because all of the non-veg food is actually from foreign rulers who brougt this culture.

Also just because it is called Kabuli pilau it doesn't mean that it is a dish from Kabul.

nihari is a delhi dish. beef stew would be nihari only?
mutton stew also called ishtew is a delhi dish
tunday ke kebab are available in delhi also.
which dish did you have at karims? man i just love karims.
punjabi by nature is not greasy at all. try their vodka golgappas.

PS: my fav cuisine is thai.

Nihari is from a Persian word Nihar which means first thing in the morning or very ealry in the morning and Nihari is supposed to be eaten very early in the morning. Irani, Turk soldiers in Mughal army brought this to Dehli (back then 'Dilli').

Soldiers used to eat after Fajr prayers and it will keep them full till late in afternoon.

I have personally made many trips to Burns rd. in Karachi and also to 'Javed ki Nihari' and 'Zahid ki Nihari' in Karachi at or befor Fajr to have Nihari.

In Toronto, best Nihari is available at Patna Kabab House in the east side of the city.

BTW, this is a Pakistani restaurant run by family whose ancestors were from Patna.

This means that India doesn't have any non-veg menu because all of the non-veg food is actually from foreign rulers who brougt this culture.

Also just because it is called Kabuli pilau it doesn't mean that it is a dish from Kabul.

:hitwall: Don't derail the thread with flames. You know as well as I do that most Indians are not vegetarians.

Nihari is from a Persian word Nihar which means first thing in the morning or very ealry in the morning and Nihari is supposed to be eaten very early in the morning. Irani, Turk soldiers in Mughal army brought this to Dehli (back then 'Dilli'). Soldiers used to eat after Fajr prayers and it will keep them full till late in afternoon.

Nihari was invented in Delhi a century back by a Hakim.
The Hindu Business Line : Nihari a la Mexican style

Haji Noora whom I was raving about earlier in this thread claims to be his descendant.

Read Asokas pillar inscriptions, Mahabharata, Manu Smrit, Arthashashtra, rajput royalty cookbooks, kashmiri pandit cookbooks etc. they mention meat eating and some contain recipes too

That is something that I have not tried, Where in India do they serve this?

Punjabi by Nature.. they have excellent sharabi dishes too, basically dishes marinated in alcohol.

Last edited:
Hi,

I believe that pakistani cuisine has more spice added to it and has more fire. The indian cuisine that I have been exposed to, lacks the fire. The vegetarian dishes are fairly good but the meat dishes may need a little more flair. But then this is me----I like a lot of fire in my food.

Hi,

I believe that pakistani cuisine has more spice added to it and has more fire. The indian cuisine that I have been exposed to, lacks the fire. The vegetarian dishes are fairly good but the meat dishes may need a little more flair. But then this is me----I like a lot of fire in my food.

By fire you mean spicy?

As I have stayed at the Delhi Sheraton, I ate many times at the famous “Bukhara” Restaurant. Food is good but not great; instead I found food at the Delhi old city and at Agra very good. Delhi is the only city which can compete with Lahore in the availability of tasty food.

In which year do you visit Maurya Sheraton, I reckon at least a half decade-decade plus back.. and you didn't check out Dum Pukht at the Sheraton ?

Hi,

this is totally dependent on the place you are eating at, the ones catering to the tourists for eg will have watered down versions...

Back
Top Bottom