What's new

India to acquire 15 US-2i aircraft from Japan after defence minister’s visit

These aircrafts have a range of 4,700 km and best part is when the fuel runs out they don't have to crash in the sea. It can just glide down and land in the sea.

That makes them extremely valuable assets for maritime reconnaissance. Ideal to be placed in Andaman Nicobar and other island bases.

I suspect IN would mount radars and EW equipment on them to make it more relevant.

They are also ideal Sea rescue vehicle which can carry 20 passengers and just land in the sea and pick up survivors.

I think India needs to negotiate building 30-50 of these aircrafts for both IN and Coast Guard, build them in India and use these platforms for the MRMR requirement. Better to focus on reducing the various types of naval aircrafts to address logistics and maintenance issues.

It is unlikely Japan an sell larges numbers of this aircraft to any other nation so it should be relatively easy to negotiate a deal involving manufacturing them in India. Like IN did with Dornier 228.

@Capt.Popeye What is your views on this ?

All that is simply an overdose. Its primarily an ideal SAR aircraft for use over the Sea. It can be equipped for Maritime Surveillance also but to make it attack capable; there is limited choice. Primarily if the Japanese will even allow that to happen, secondly because its not the ideal platform for the role.

All that being said; its an ideal aircraft for the ICG than even the IN, but that will have to be resolved between them. Of course if they don't then even the IAF will lay claim to some of them!
The ideal operating area for them is A&NC as air operations from there will be increased greatly.

"ShinMaywa US-2" is not just about buying plane, keeping in mind India's large cost line and safety and security of Indian Ocean, which somehow they are responsible. this plane could be of great use.

I am sure, there could be many inside deals associated with it. its not just buying plane.

ShinMaywa US-2 is a very new/modified and impressive technology, i believe Indian navy can push to increase capacity from 20 to minimum 50 passengers and payload.

SPECS:

Dimensions & Performances US-2
(ShinMaywa)
Length 33.3m
Wing Span 33.2m
Height 9.8m
Engine Rolls-Royce AE2100Jx4
Propeller Dowty R414
Max Take-Off Weight/Distance 47.7t / 490m
Max Landing Weight/Distance 47.7t / 1,500m
Max Take-Off Weight/Distance (on water) 43.0t / 280m
Max Landing Weight/Distance (on water) 43.0t / 330m
Range
over 4,500 km

Cruise Altitude More than 6,000m
Cruise Speed
More than 480km/h

Max Speed
More than 560km/h

capability_img01.gif

Ads not by this site
capability_img02.gif

capability_img02_02.gif

capability_ttl05.gif

The world's only amphibian equipped with a BLC (Boundary Layer Control) powered high-lift device, the US-2 can cruise at extremely low speeds (approx. 90 km/h) and take off and land on water within a very short distance.
capability_img05_02.gif

capability_img05_03.gif

capability_img05.gif

capability_ttl06.gif

ShinMaywa's original spray suppressor and spray strip realize excellent seaworthiness, thereby preventing damage to airframes when landing on water. Together with its capability to cruise at extremely low speeds, the US-2 can take off and land on water with waves up to three meters high.

capability_img06.jpg

capability_img07.gif

Performance of the State-of-the-Art US-2 | ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd.

WIKI:
General characteristics

• Crew: 11
  • Capacity: 20 passengers or 12 stretchers
  • Length: 33.46 m (109 ft 9 in)
  • Wingspan: 33.15 m (108 ft 9 in)
  • Height: 9.8 m (32 ft 2 in)
  • Wing area: 135.8m² (1,462 sq ft)
  • Empty weight: 25,630 kg (56,504 lb)
  • Loaded weight: 43,000 kg (94,797 lb) (water take-off)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 47,700 kg (105,160 lb) (land take-off)
  • Powerplant: 4 × Rolls-Royce AE 2100J turboprop, 3,424 kW (4,591 shp) each
  • Propellers: Dowty R414 6 bladed propeller, 1 per engine
  • Boundary layer enhancement provided by 1,015 kW (1,360 shp) LHTEC T800
Performance

• Maximum speed: 560 km/h (302 knots, 348 mph)
  • Cruise speed: 480 km/h (259 knots, 298 mph)
  • Range: 4,700 km[5] (2,538 nmi, 2,919 mi)
  • Service ceiling: 7,195 m (23,606 ft)
  • Takeoff distance on ground at MTOW: 490 m (1,608 ft)
  • Landing distance on ground at MTOW: 1,500 m (4,921 ft)
  • Takeoff distance on water at Loaded weigh: 280m (919 ft)
  • Landing distance on water at Loaded weigh: 330m (1,083 ft)

SPECS:

Dimensions & Performances US-2
(ShinMaywa)
Length 33.3m
Wing Span 33.2m
Height 9.8m
Engine Rolls-Royce AE2100Jx4
Propeller Dowty R414
Max Take-Off Weight/Distance 47.7t / 490m
Max Landing Weight/Distance 47.7t / 1,500m
Max Take-Off Weight/Distance (on water) 43.0t / 280m
Max Landing Weight/Distance (on water) 43.0t / 330m
Range
over 4,500 km

Cruise Altitude More than 6,000m
Cruise Speed
More than 480km/h

Max Speed
More than 560km/h

capability_img01.gif

Ads not by this site
capability_img02.gif

capability_img02_02.gif

capability_ttl05.gif

The world's only amphibian equipped with a BLC (Boundary Layer Control) powered high-lift device, the US-2 can cruise at extremely low speeds (approx. 90 km/h) and take off and land on water within a very short distance.
capability_img05_02.gif

capability_img05_03.gif

capability_img05.gif

capability_ttl06.gif

ShinMaywa's original spray suppressor and spray strip realize excellent seaworthiness, thereby preventing damage to airframes when landing on water. Together with its capability to cruise at extremely low speeds, the US-2 can take off and land on water with waves up to three meters high.

capability_img06.jpg

capability_img07.gif

Performance of the State-of-the-Art US-2 | ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd.

WIKI:
General characteristics

• Crew: 11
  • Capacity: 20 passengers or 12 stretchers
  • Length: 33.46 m (109 ft 9 in)
  • Wingspan: 33.15 m (108 ft 9 in)
  • Height: 9.8 m (32 ft 2 in)
  • Wing area: 135.8m² (1,462 sq ft)
  • Empty weight: 25,630 kg (56,504 lb)
  • Loaded weight: 43,000 kg (94,797 lb) (water take-off)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 47,700 kg (105,160 lb) (land take-off)
  • Powerplant: 4 × Rolls-Royce AE 2100J turboprop, 3,424 kW (4,591 shp) each
  • Propellers: Dowty R414 6 bladed propeller, 1 per engine
  • Boundary layer enhancement provided by 1,015 kW (1,360 shp) LHTEC T800
Performance

• Maximum speed: 560 km/h (302 knots, 348 mph)
  • Cruise speed: 480 km/h (259 knots, 298 mph)
  • Range: 4,700 km[5] (2,538 nmi, 2,919 mi)
  • Service ceiling: 7,195 m (23,606 ft)
  • Takeoff distance on ground at MTOW: 490 m (1,608 ft)
  • Landing distance on ground at MTOW: 1,500 m (4,921 ft)
  • Takeoff distance on water at Loaded weigh: 280m (919 ft)
  • Landing distance on water at Loaded weigh: 330m (1,083 ft)

Really informative post. Thank You. Impressed by the size of the aircraft and its range. Will prove to be saviours of many life at danger in future for sure.

wow- FIFTEEN, was not expecting such a large initial order.

This bird's main utility is long-range SAR, in this arena it is simply unmatched as on its own it can search and then recover victims/survivors and has a HUGE range. As a secondary role it will be useful for special missions such as supporting SOFs or the IN's subs at high seas (in special circumstances). For sure this bird gives the IN a capability it hasn't had in its history.

And almost trumping this, this deal signals a new level of Japanese-Indian relations which should be fostered in any way possible. The Japanese have truly stood by India for a while now and many of the infra marvels coming up across India wouldn't be possible without their help.

what is the price of us-2
Apart from sea rescue missions It sounds a good drop and pick up vehicle for Marcos as well ;)

Any strings on military use ???

This older report should answer both:

India set to purchase Japan-made amphibious planes

...Delhi is expected to purchase around 15 units of the US-2, used by Japan’s Self Defense Forces and developed by ShinMaywa Industries. It costs around 99 million dollars per unit, has a range of 4,700 kilometres and can land in water with waves of up to three meters. However, the aircraft must be used for civilian purposes to comply with Japan’s 1967 self-imposed ban on arms exports as part of its post-World War II anti-militarist efforts. The ban was eased in 2011, allowing Japanese firms to bid for multinational weapons projects. Japan has exported technology or military hardware parts, but is now looking to expand its market by selling finished products as well. The plane can be used for non-military purposes, like search and rescue missions, as long as the “friend or foe” identification systems are disabled...

India set to purchase Japan-made amphibious planes - The Japan Daily Press

All that is simply an overdose. Its primarily an ideal SAR aircraft for use over the Sea. It can be equipped for Maritime Surveillance also but to make it attack capable; there is limited choice. Primarily if the Japanese will even allow that to happen, secondly because its not the ideal platform for the role.

All that being said; its an ideal aircraft for the ICG than even the IN, but that will have to be resolved between them. Of course if they don't then even the IAF will lay claim to some of them!
The ideal operating area for them is A&NC as air operations from there will be increased greatly.

Well I don't mean buy all 50 at once :D ............a production line of 5-10 per year will give us a nice 10-15 years time frame. I am sure a country like India needs more than 50. In fact This aircraft is a good means for civilian transport to A&C island and Lakshwadeep Island. I really see the need to have at least 100 of these between the IN, CG and Civil aviation.

The important point is setting up a production line in India which is feasible only when we can envision a larger fleet.

Second, Maritime reconnaissance does not necessarily mean it has to be armed. Which is why I mentioned surveillance radar and EW. Recent changes in Japan's constitution will support this upgrade.

IN needs to demonstrate some vision and negotiate building this aircraft in India.

What you have here is the first large economy in the world diversifying and slowly walking out of the chinese market. they are showing the world that there is another investment spot in the world, large enough to circumvent the chinese market.

In a global economy having a market like china is important, but if India has it ducks in a row , its size can be it a viable alternative. If this larger investment, and I don't mean this aircraft, but the corridor proves successful--- that 2050 prediction of India being no 1 GDP in the world would come true.

Indian govt and its people have their destiny in their hands ...

Watch this baby glide over the sea.

Just imagine we we have a licensed production of this Aircraft in India, we can then attempt to put a Radar on top of this aircraft and convert this into a Indian Version of E-2 Haweye !!

2/4 of his can provide a 24 x 7 AWAC cover for Vikramaditya. Not to mention IAC Vikrant.

8 such aircraft with a mounted Antenna would give a generational leap to our AC strength and power projection capability. We can also build Floating docks/support ships where these aircrafts can refuel, crew can disembark and get debriefed. This ship can tow the aircraft behind it. Not very classy, but certainly very effective.

Just imagine we we have a licensed production of this Aircraft in India, we can then attempt to put a Radar on top of this aircraft and convert this into a Indian Version of E-2 Haweye !!
2/4 of his can provide a 24 x 7 AWAC cover for Vikramaditya. Not to mention IAC Vikrant.
8 such aircraft with a mounted Antenna would give a generational leap to our AC strength and power projection capability. We can also build Floating docks/support ships where these aircrafts can refuel, crew can disembark and get debriefed. This ship can tow the aircraft behind it. Not very classy, but certainly very effective.

wrong idea..I wonder how you plans to deploy and recover it from carriers...carrier doesn't tow a aircraft...certainly not one for hundreds of kms,if not thousands..

wrong idea..I wonder how you plans to deploy and recover it from carriers...carrier doesn't tow a aircraft...certainly not one for hundreds of kms,if not thousands..

I am talking about have a support ship that acts like a landing platform, only it tows the aircraft instead of carrying it. These aircraft's can float at sea so there is not need to provide a carrier landing.

They can pretty much land and take off from sea.

Just thinking out of the box. Besides one aircraft would always be in the air, only one needs to be towed.

The undercarriage of the aircraft can be coated and maintained to make them capable of being towed for thousands of km. Might not look that great, but will certainly save lives.

I am talking about have a support ship that acts like a landing platform, only it tows the aircraft instead of carrying it. These aircraft's can float at sea so there is not need to provide a carrier landing.
They can pretty much land and take off from sea.
Just thinking out of the box. Besides one aircraft would always be in the air, only one needs to be towed.
The undercarriage of the aircraft can be coated and maintained to make them capable of being towed for thousands of km. Might not look that great, but will certainly save lives.

If I'd try to think out of box,I'd try V-22 for AEW role..I want something that can be deployed from Aircraft Carriers,not from some support ships like LPD or LHD.we want a platform that will work from AC,not from LPD as for that role,KA-31 is already available.US-2 is a SAR platform.so we want it as such.sure it can be modified,but the question is,is it needed??for AEW support,even land based AEW platforms can support carrier groups around surrounding waters.its in far seas for what we needed it.

If I'd try to think out of box,I'd try V-22 for AEW role..I want something that can be deployed from Aircraft Carriers,not from some support ships like LPD or LHD. we want a platform that will work from AC,not from LPD as for that role,KA-31 is already available.US-2 is a SAR platform.so we want it as such.sure it can be modified,but the question is,is it needed??for AEW support,even land based AEW platforms can support carrier groups around surrounding waters.its in far seas for what we needed it.

V-22 is not exactly outside the box, since it is the only operational AEW aircraft that is suitable for IN.

However V-22 AEW comes with strings attached, which include regular US inspection and intrusion along with directions when to use it and when not to.

In any case loading Viki and Vikrant with 4 V-22 might not even be possible.

Sure land based assets can be used for carrier support, but I would rather have a platform that can land in the sea, refuel and take off again. They can of course be land based.

Back
Top Bottom