What's new

India to acquire 15 US-2i aircraft from Japan after defence minister’s visit

Dude why are you being silly about things? I never said these planes are completely useless? Most of the time they will work FINE. All I am saying is usually during a search and rescue things are ALREADY bad. I really wish ships would always sink or pilots bail out in nice weather but the fact of the matter is most of the time some ship is in trouble or somebody really needs help is when the weather is really really BAD...that's usually WHY they are in trouble in the first place!! People usually don't make distress calls on nice sunny days!

3 Meters is not good enough because bad weather is usually the reason you need a rescue in the first place. This is video extreme but you seem to not be understanding what I'm driving at.

They use winches to rescue people in the above situations. They do it ALL the time. Most of the time people are being rescued the weather is BAD which is why they need rescuing.

Now you're beginning to make me chuckle!! Peter.

Modern Aircraft do not ditch at Sea because of the Weather; we are far removed from the days of the Wright Flyer!!! Do you even know that the "Hurricane Hunter" C-130s of the NOAA are routinely and deliberately flown through Hurricanes.

Now the utter "Bilge" that you spewed about winching in Bad Weather is again laughable! In that kind of 'Foul Weather' a HELO cannot fly , leave alone winch anything up!

Have you seen Winching Ops in the Open Sea? I have, hence I know what can be done and what cannot be. Just as I've seen Beaufort Sea-State 10 and worse on so many occasions. The fact that I'm sitting here at a keyboard should indicate that my ship(s) could survive that kind of weather. Ships are built to survive storms and Navigators are trained to Conn their ships clear of them.
The storms that I've seen did not have any Music Sound-tracks and effects accompanying them!!:laugh:
Simply because they did not originate out of Hollywood and Youtube!!

By now I've understood how much of a "Noob" you really are. If you'd have paid heed to what I said earlier or even bothered to read some of whatever has appeared on this thread; you'd have exercised some more caution in your reactions.

Nonetheless; let me now string you along a little further: that video clip that you showed here--What Sea-State does it depict? and judging from both the height and length of the swell running; which Ocean is that screen-play set in; that SFX guys are seeking to replicate? :-)
How do you think that the SAR HELO will make the approach and how will the guys get winched up? Or did that not become part of the script? You should know, maybe?

And yes, the Music seems suitably dramatic enough; esp the use of the chorus and cadence. Wish that would accompany all Storms at Sea!!!

my point is why did we not go for something that we could also weaponise??

answer-------diplomacy and politics

and yes it was indeed importnt and will have good benefits in future.think of it as beginning of japanese involvement in our defence

Now you're beginning to make me chuckle!! Peter.

Modern Aircraft do not ditch at Sea because of the Weather;

I never said that modern planes can't fly in bad weather and if they do they would probably have to eject. If anything they are flying above the clouds. You are taking things to the extreme. I meant it would be nice if every time a pilot bailed out they were in some area in relatively calm seas. That way they could be picked up with no problem - just like many were in WW2. Unfortunately some weren't and that sucked and a better solution was needed.

What I'm also trying to say is not many times do ships call out a DISTRESS call when waves are only like 3 meters and it's a nice day. 3 meters is nothing to a ship. When ships DO call out a distress signal its because usually something has hit the fan. They don't call a distress signal because they ran out of gas or some generator failed and it would be nice if some plane would land next to them with some gas to help them out! Bad weather is a big culprit in these cases.

Good deal for coast guards.

Average deal for navy/airforce.

Don't know why some people making it larger than life defence deal with Japan. :confused:

I never said that modern planes can't fly in bad weather and if they do they would probably have to eject. If anything they are flying above the clouds. You are taking things to the extreme. I meant it would be nice if every time a pilot bailed out they were in some area in relatively calm seas. That way they could be picked up with no problem - just like many were in WW2. Unfortunately some weren't and that sucked and a better solution was needed.

What I'm also trying to say is not many times do ships call out a DISTRESS call when waves are only like 3 meters and it's a nice day. 3 meters is nothing to a ship. When ships DO call out a distress signal its because usually something has hit the fan. They don't call a distress signal because they ran out of gas or some generator failed and it would be nice if some plane would land next to them with some gas to help them out! Bad weather is a big culprit in these cases.

There you go again! Just read the underlined part of your post to start with: you just contradicted yourself in there.

See; not knowing techicalities is not wrong but not wanting to know technicalities; is inexplicable.
If you wish to know; then you can read something written by somebody else (like here) or by referring to "Uncle Google" in these days of the internet. That can be incredibly helpful.

Yet again; you are very mixed up when you use a specific term "Distress Call" to describe situations when a Ship may need assistance or need to send out a "Distress Call". And then tie up weather to it.
Ships can be disabled and in distress for a number of reasons; a list that will be too long to enumerate here. But I can talk about many of them based on some amount of experience. Bad weather maybe just a part of them. And the ships LSA (Life Saving Appliances) are designed with that in mind; just as ships are. Its technical catastrophes that get more difficult to deal with, believe me.

oye chaddo yar

pls tell me what were our other options for such planes?

beireiv?

nothing else?

we cannot fit weapons in these

@sancho @Capt.Popeye
Is there a real need of this plane in IN/ICG? Does it fill some role that was very in demand by IN?

Or is this a case of - we may find its place in the Service because its a good plane(from a Indian Navy POV) and we get to order something from Japan to increase the relationship(MoD POV)

Somehow it looks to me as a purchase of a convenient plane rather than filling a much needed gap in the Service.

The need is there when you look at it as a long range SAR platform, but the problem is, that as Capt.Popeye said earlier to, for that role it would make more sence under ICG, since they should be mainly aimed on patroling and rescue operations. They had a similar competition too, which afaik was cancelled however, not sure if that means we go for more US-2s for them as well and as I said, IAF already stated an own requirement for amphibious aircrafts to.
For IAF and IN, the main need is aimed on A&N, since our forces have identified the lack of defence capability there and seem to fear that somebody might come and take it over. The whole placement of 1000s of marines, the modernisations of ports and airstrips (to use them in war times) and the new procurements of amphibious vessels, or aircrafts is only meant to increase our capabilities at these islands. So from that point of view, one can say, there is a justification for them in IN, to transport cargo or troops in and around these islands too.
However, the estimated price tag is pretty high and for these requirements the Be 200 should have been a good choice too, but many articles shows a political meaning wrt to deepen ties with Japan too.

P.S. The recent events in the east between China and Japan / US / S.Korea btw will show how close our ties to them are by now. India at this point actually can't afford to openly choose sides. Will be interesting to see Indian foreign policy balancing things again.

Last edited:
these times will pass
ultimately in 2035-40 we will be a pariah to the west just like china is today and would be perceived as a competition.
so yes no choosing of sides at all.our problem with china is small and risk of escalation is NIL,on the other hand china hates japan the most and we might see some clashes

Back
Top Bottom