What's new

F-18, Predators & More | India-U.S. Set to Sign 'Historic' Defence Deals During PM Modi’s U.S. Visit

NG Missile Vessels

Reaction score
Country
India
PM Narendra Modi's U.S. visit will propel India's defence deals with Washington. U.S. NSA Jake Sullivan is playing a crucial role in charting out the defence ties. Sullivan will call upon PM Modi to discuss the nitty-gritty of the possible deals. Sullivan will also be meeting External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar in Delhi. There are several "historic" defence agreements on the table, like the manufacturing of GE-414 aircraft engines in India under licence, the transfer of Predator drones, and the sale of 26 F-18 fighter aircraft for the Indian Navy. This move is crucial for India, as there have been delays in Russian arms deliveries amid the war. Given the current circumstances, all eyes are on the U.S.-India defence deals

Doval-Sullivan deals to power PM Modi’s historic visit to US
1686753169113.png

US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan will call upon Prime Minister Narendra Modi today even as he will sit with his Indian counterpart Ajit Doval to hammer out future multi-pronged bilateral cooperation including a $2.7 billion semiconductor chip-making facility in India by Idaho-based Micron Technology, sharing of high-performance quantum computing technology and finalize the manufacturing of US aircraft engines in India. Sullivan will also be meeting External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.

Sullivan’s visit to India comes on the eve of PM Modi’s state visit to the US next week with both natural allies all set to push the bilateral cooperation to the next level. Accompanied by US Indo-Pacific Coordinator at the National Security Council Kurt Campbell, the US NSA will also discuss the situation in the Indo-Pacific in the wake of increasing Chinese assertiveness over Taiwan and the South China Sea. The recent incident of a Chinese warship making a dangerous and deliberate pass across the bows of a US-guided missile destroyer in the South China Sea has caused major concern among Quad countries.

It is understood that while the US State Department bureaucracy with its past legacy was resisting intensifying defence and hi-tech cooperation with India, it is the Pentagon and NSA Sullivan who have pushed the agenda to make PM Modi’s forthcoming visit to the US historic. Fact is that the US has never shared aircraft engine technology for manufacturing in a third country including the “hot engine” technology with even their closest ally. Despite the State Department trying to place hurdles, the Pentagon and National Security Council under Sullivan have ensured that 100 per cent transfer of technology for the manufacture of GE’s F-414 engine is possible in India.
I
t is the same engine that will empower DRDO’s designed and developed Tejas Mark II fighter, which will form the backbone of the Indian Air Force’s capability. India is also looking towards US defence majors to manufacture high-end ammunition like loiter bombs, air-to-air missiles and long-range guided artillery bombs in the country.

While chip makers like Micron Technology have taken a decision to invest in manufacturing in India, the Modi government is looking at top semiconductor chip makers like Intel Corporation to come to India to establish a global supply chain that is not dependent on China or Taiwan only.

Both the NSAs will also discuss sharing of US technology with India on quantum computing for processing gazillion data collected all over the country as well as technology to make Indian critical infrastructure protected from cyber attacks from China and Pakistan.

Besides, the two sides will be deepening cooperation in the fields of telecommunication, 6G technologies, rare earth metals mining and in space. The two NSAs covered all the above grounds for cooperation during the meeting on initiative on Critical and Emerging Technologies (iCET) in Washington on January 31, 2023 and the required amendments to rules to translate these deals on ground were discussed during the first India-US Strategic Trade Dialogue meeting last week.

Defence Ministry to take up MQ-9 Reaper drone deal with US on Thursday
1686769122888.png

New Delhi [India], June 14 (ANI): Ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the United States, India’s Defence Ministry is going to discuss the acquisition of MQ-9 Reaper drones from the US.

The acquisition of these drones is scheduled to come up for discussion during an important high-level meeting of the defence ministry on Thursday, defence sources told ANI here.

Earlier the plan was to rationalise the acquisition of these drones and reduce their numbers from 30 to 18 or less, they said.

However, now India is expected to go ahead with the original plan of acquisition of 30 drones including 10 each for all three services, the sources said.

The Indian Navy is the lead service for the acquisition of these drones and has been pursuing the case thoroughly.

The three services also have plans of going in for similar types of medium altitude and long endurance drones from indigenous sources.

Meanwhile, PM Modi is scheduled to visit the US from June 21 to 24, where US President Joe Biden will host him at the White House. This will be PM Modi’s first state visit to the US during his nine-year reign as prime minister.

PM Narendra Modi during his visit will also become the first Indian PM to address the Joint Meeting of the US Congress for the second time. Indian Americans said the invitation sent to Prime Minister to address the US Congress serves as a reminder of the historic significance of the relationship between the US and India, reflecting the shared dream and commitment to global peace and prosperity, especially in the Indo-Pacific region. (ANI)

B.S.

India will buy P-8's, Hercs, Chinooks...

But they won't touch F/A-18's or that F-21 with a 6-Foot stick. I doubt they'll even go for US Drones.
No chances for Super Hornets, but given we already operate Predators (Sea Guardians) we might be purchasing them.

No chances for Super Hornets, but given we already operate Predators (Sea Guardians) we might be purchasing them.
To my recollection, those very Predators you operate were/are on loan/lease by the US. I suppose it was merely to sway India into buying them.

Now, are they being operated by Indian Personnel/Operators or USAF?

To my recollection, those very Predators you operate were/are on loan/lease by the US. I suppose it was merely to sway India into buying them.

Do you think Indians are capable of operating such high tech equipment?

Obviously US operates them in the name of India AKA The Ukranian model.

Lease was renewed iirc
And its being operated by IN personnel.

Do you think Indians are capable of operating such high tech equipment?
Do you read your replies out loud - just 'cause you like the sound of your voice?
Obviously US operates them in the name of India AKA The Ukranian model.
And you know this for A Fact, or are you just giving out more of your views as Defense Analyst?

What new hardware have you planned for PAF this time around. Given up on the F-15EX & F-35 pipedream?

IAF is operating a Beast like the C-17 Globemaster III & the Chinooks. I don't think you need to be Rocket Scientist to operate a Drone sitting on an IKEA Couch while sipping on coffee. What do you think?

B.S.

India will buy P-8's, Hercs, Chinooks...

But they won't touch F/A-18's or that F-21 with a 6-Foot stick. I doubt they'll even go for US Drones.
Predators are a done deal. The only question is numbers

If India is offered EMALS for its aircraft carriers F/A-18 Super Hornets would be a done deal. I doubt they will get it.

I know they were leased, Interesting question - who operates them ?

Do you read your replies out loud - just 'cause you like the sound of your voice?

And you know this for A Fact, or are you just giving out more of your views as Defense Analyst?

What new hardware have you planned for PAF this time around. Given up on the F-15EX & F-35 pipedream?

IAF is operating a Beast like the C-17 Globemaster III & the Chinooks. I don't think you need to be Rocket Scientist to operate a Drone sitting on an IKEA Couch while sipping on coffee. What do you think?
better question is that do the IAF Predators have satellite links ? If so which satellites ?

Doval-Sullivan deals to power PM Modi’s historic visit to US

It is understood that while the US State Department bureaucracy with its past legacy was resisting intensifying defence and hi-tech cooperation with India, it is the Pentagon and NSA Sullivan who have pushed the agenda to make PM Modi’s forthcoming visit to the US historic. Fact is that the US has never shared aircraft engine technology for manufacturing in a third country including the “hot engine” technology with even their closest ally. Despite the State Department trying to place hurdles, the Pentagon and National Security Council under Sullivan have ensured that 100 per cent transfer of technology for the manufacture of GE’s F-414 engine is possible in India.

India wants the hot engine technology - whether the Americans will give that is a different issue and most likely they won’t… no matter how many articles are written suggesting/wanting it to be true.

India wants the hot engine technology - whether the Americans will give that is a different issue and most likely they won’t… no matter how many articles are written suggesting/wanting it to be true.

Indians are no Chinese.

Indians have slave mindset.

US says jump and Modi says how high.

Indians can ever learn or build anything even with ToT.

French had in the past confirmed that Indians lacked the skills to absorb Rafale ToT.

Back
Top Bottom