What's new

India English growth 'too slow'

Who cares? As if English language is some kind of ideal that we all should strive to. Bloody colonial mentality.

As far as accents are concerned, there is no such things as a correct or an incorrect English accent, please read a proper book on linguistics, you people seem to be behind the times.

"This comes even as rising interest about India motivated two more universities in Kunming and Guangzhou to announce the launch of Hindi departments this year. Now, the number of Chinese universities teaching Hindi has risen to nine — there was just one, the Peking University, prior to 2007."

Now, Hindi classes at Indian embassy in Beijing - China - World - The Times of India

awesome. this is a great way to promote bilateral ties. china and india have much more to gain by working with each other. both are huge markets, if a company succeeds just in china and india it has more customers than if it took the entire US and Europe while needing only 2-3 languages to operate.

well whatever U say but I havent trolled anything here but I have given the reason too but daily I am seeing them here ok U are right cause most of the people (Chinese) staying in US speaks good english but here these school going kids by the time they come out of their schools and are completely in this world competing with others it would take that much long time :smitten:

Where?

i don't want to post again and again, so please make everything clear once for all. :)

English was never Indian language and tomorrow if USA said, "Hey that's our language and you can't speak". What would you do?

don't take it seriously. i am just giving an example.

India has it's own language for which Indian should be proud of.

unfortunately, Indian prefer English over their native language.

So To ALL PEOPLE:

if you are coming in India, But speak good English, people will respect you even if you never went to school!! ( At least this happens in Punjab.) :lol:

:usflag::coffee:

Hindi is not "related" Language for Many Parts of India including South India,North East etc.Hindi Belt - Punjab,Haryana,Delhi,Himachal Pradesh,Jammu&Kashmir,Rajasthan,Madhya Pradesh,Uttaranchal,Uttar Pradesh,Gujarat and ...maybe Maharahstra as well consists of this region.
Hindi will work as one of the national language with a broader reach among north and central Indian states.There were anti-Hindi Agitations in South India earlier when some people thought Hindi was understood and can be enforced as the Sole National Language.
Imagine the Plight if a non-hindi,non-related language like Tamil language Speakers are forced into Hindi acceptance!Englisch Language is now seen as a universal language and even those Hindi proponents are learning Englisch.

The Pragmatic People ,Learns English as well as Hindi.As in South India ,English is understood slightly More.This does not mean a roadside cobbler will talk to you in British Englisch- But He will be able to Communicate with Some English.

Hi
Exactly being able to speak in English has become more of a status symbol especially in India & Pakistan.

yes have you ever noticed those high society people who even knowing hindi( or their local language) talk in english substituting some words in between with local language. :lol:

This phenomenon is more common in girls. :lol:

Hi
Exactly being able to speak in English has become more of a status symbol especially in India & Pakistan.

It goes to Bangladesh too. Speaking English is certainly advantagous to foreign trade, and relation, beyond that it is a personal endeovour.

It is pretty bizzare that some people taking proud in being good at English or foreign languages. Foreign languages are just for better communication. In Vietnam, English is required for working in multinational environment, however, other skills are more important. In Korea, no one speak English other than for working with foreigners, and I am pretty sure about same thing with China and Japan, Taiwan,. The English skill of average Korean are terrible, however that can not prevent them from being the leader in many fields of high technology, even in IT.

Well said. I'm only good in English because I grew up in America. Otherwise my native language would be much better. While everyone here is talking about being proficient in English, I am taking the effort to be more proficient in Chinese.

I recommend to our Indian and Pakistani members to standardize on learning Chinese as THE international language besides Ingles. :)

Yes, they are here for troll only.

he's over obsessed with India, just look at every thread in India Defense he has posted some troll or the other.

No India visited each and every thread in China Defense section but he will do, this proves my point.

What about you?

Anyway, just go back to 1st thread, Indian started this thread war...

india should be promoting HINDI overseas and at home, rather than trying to learn english.

chinese people are too crazy for english now, it's also one of the most useless subjects taken as a university major.

Not all Indian''s speak Hindi ,

especially in the south.

You need both English and Hindi to talk to everyone in India

More people in India know English then Hindi.

And India has contributed to making the English Language what it is today, the constant conversion between British administrator and India translator has created many new words that were added to the dictionary.
Just as the Americans did with their American English.

English is as much an India language as Hindi. which is derived from Sanskrit, which it self is a variant of Latin.

The lack Hindi overseas is regrettable but, but India also has 20 other official languages spoken by millions on people. why should Hindi be singled out over all theirs.

IF English is the international language and more people speak it then Hindi. then why not embrace English as your own language then treating it like an outsider.

english was imposed in india by the british, it's a colonial mentality to use it at the expense of real indian languages.

even new terms in china are translated instead of being spoken directly in english, unlike japan and korea. in terms of protecting our language we've done exceptionally well.

english was imposed in india by the british, it's a colonial mentality to use it at the expense of real indian languages.

even new terms in china are translated instead of being spoken directly in english, unlike japan and korea. in terms of protecting our language we've done exceptionally well.

iTS colonial mentality to view it through that lens.

Islam was also imposed on India. None the less It today stands a valuable part of Indian history. Embraced by people.

English was never imposed by the British, only the select few in India knew English.

Its spread to the masses was a India trend.

If we truly wish to put our colonial history behind us, India has to embrace that period as a valid part of its history.

English is an India language, as it is with Hindi and Sanskrit.

Sanskrit itself was a derivative of Latin, that came from the Germans and central Asian tribes that came to India thousands of years ago.

Does that mean Sanskrit is not a Indian language.

Islam was also imposed on India. None the less It today stands a valuable part of Indian history. Embraced by people.

English was never imposed by the British, only the select few in India knew English.

If we truly wish to put our colonial history behind us, India has to embrace that period as a valid part of its history.

Sanskrit itself was a derivative of Latin, that came from the Germans and central Asian tribes that came to India thousands of years ago.

Thank you for the Very useful post sir. But I disagree with "Sanskrit being a derivative of Latin"

Sanskrit pre-dates latin by ages. It was a language that had developed at the time of the ancient greeks and so is more in line with the time periods of 3000-4000 BC or even older. Latin on the other hand was spread to the European continent by the Romans.

I agree that it could closely resemble protohemic German which was the earliest for of German, something like Middle English for the Brits. Protohemic German some say is the mother of Sanskrit but I would disagree with that too, as German civilization in 3000-4000 BC do not show any concrete evidence of an advanced race so a language as flawless as Sanskrit could not have been developed by the Germans.

Further the Indo European part and the invasion by the Aryans may well just be a myth and nothing else as till date despite of written records "the Vedas" - none suggest that there was a wave of migrants or that there was any invasion in India. It is a much debated issue in World Antediluvian History, and there is no consensus on it. The crux is that the wave never got to us but IT may have started from us. Which is why Aryans call India their Home and Iran their Land - i.e. One where they grew up and called home and the other that they might have acquired through a military battle or conquest.

So, my point is that Sanskrit in the same way was developed in India and then influenced other languages through invasions of other countries. Eg. All words that end in STAN are crude forms of the word STHAN - Arabia in ancient days and still is known for its Horses, which in Ancient Sanskrit is called ARVA. So Arvasthan is mentioned in the Vedas as a place where the Aryans got their horses from and from centuries the word has been distorted and has take the new form ARAB and is now pronounced as ARABISTAN (which you may have heard from our elders).

:cheers:

Sanskrit is a derivative of latin,this is news to me.Sanskrit is actually derived form prakrit.Prakrit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The european languages were not even in their infancy when sanskrit had become a pan indian (bharatvarsha) lingo.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom