What's new

India English growth 'too slow'

india should be promoting HINDI overseas and at home, rather than trying to learn english.

chinese people are too crazy for english now, it's also one of the most useless subjects taken as a university major.

im from wuhan, central china. mandarin is not written differently. it's just a different accent. in the countryside, people do not speak mandarin, but in the city, most people do. try going to shenzhen instead of shanghai?

That is exactly what I was trying to get to with our other friend. But he seemed quite adamant.........

Shenzen too is quite nice. The new marriott is pretty good and I just can't forget the good food at Laurel close to the railway station behind Shangri-La hotel. The Maotais are pretty expensive though. My friends told me that Maotais are not so expensive in the Central region. So someday, lets catch up at Wuhan and do a bottle....

I agree that the dialect in Shenzen is pretty close to one desired and that in H.K.

Now you see, the people making fun of the Indian accent over here. When in China, Mandarin can have different accents, it is not good to slight Indians over their accents of English which is a foreign language. It is a foreign language for Chinese too, that is why I never make fun of people in China when they talk to me in English. Because, look they have learnt the langauge with hard work. It is not their natural tongue so we should respect that instead of making fun of it.

Cheers.

I have read your post very carefully, and I dont think your "sorry" is a real "sorry" bcoz of this ↓

BUT THE TRUTH DOES NOT CHANGE AND THAT IS JUST THE WAY YOU JUMP THE GUN ON INDIANS THEN WHY SHOULD I NOT AID A FELLOW INDIAN

You should notice that it is the indian jump the gun on us first and we just defended that. If you have any logical reasonal ability you shouldnt aid that indian, at least you should keep quiet. Or you are thinking you should take a indian side whatever he said? I dont think it can be called a logical thinking.

BTW: My current english ability is very enough to understand what is the real thinking of you from that post.

Ask yourself, You guys come into every Indian achievements thread and talk nonsense to derail the thread - The feeling is MUTUAL. If you want to derail it well don't blame us if we press the wrong nerve then!

Last edited:
That is exactly what I was trying to get to with our other friend. But he seemed quite adamant.........

Shenzen too is quite nice. The new marriott is pretty good and I just can't forget the good food at Laurel close to the railway station behind Shangri-La hotel. The Maotais are pretty expensive though. My friends told me that Maotais are not so expensive in the Central region. So someday, lets catch up at Wuhan and do a bottle....

I agree that the dialect in Shenzen is pretty close to one desired and that in H.K.

Now you see, the people making fun of the Indian accent over here. When in China, Mandarin can have different accents, it is not good to slight Indians over their accents of English which is a foreign language. It is a foreign language for Chinese too, that is why I never make fun of people in China when they talk to me in English. Because, look they have learnt the langauge with hard work. It is not their natural tongue so we should respect that instead of making fun of it.

Cheers.

because shenzhen was a fishing village before 1980, everyone speaks mandarin since they are all immigrants from the rest of the country. it's not even close to cantonese.

our situation is different from india where some languages are totally different from one another. its mostly guangdong and shanghai that are really different... in the southwest and center, like in sichuan, hubei and hunan, the accents are very similar, and these accents can also be understood by people from the north.

i don't like white wine = =

I hate most when people fight over languages.. languages are meant for human communication and fighting over it is a failure of its spirit..

Yes.. English in India is a big thing and most of the parents want their kids to go to convent school or attend ICS/CBSE board over state boards (state board has normally state specific languages for subjects).. And the main reason for the same is that English is a prestige issues as well as atleast a small job in future...So I dont accept if english language's growth is less in India..

And there is nothing neutral english or accent in the world.. Everyone speaks in their own way and even in US, people from different states speak differently.. and the same is true for all ethnicity Chinese, Indian ( South/North), Philipino etc.. but yes in most of the professional cases all people moreover speaks in a same way..so they can communicate and sustain..

india should be promoting HINDI overseas and at home, rather than trying to learn english.

chinese people are too crazy for english now, it's also one of the most useless subjects taken as a university major.

"This comes even as rising interest about India motivated two more universities in Kunming and Guangzhou to announce the launch of Hindi departments this year. Now, the number of Chinese universities teaching Hindi has risen to nine — there was just one, the Peking University, prior to 2007."

Now, Hindi classes at Indian embassy in Beijing - China - World - The Times of India

Ask yourself - You guys come into every Indian achievements thread and talk nonsense to derail the thread - The feeling is MUTUAL. If you want to derail it well don't blame us if we press the wrong nerve then!

Yes, they are here for troll only.

he's over obsessed with India, just look at every thread in India Defense he has posted some troll or the other.

No India visited each and every thread in China Defense section but he will do, this proves my point.

It is pretty bizzare that some people taking proud in being good at English or foreign languages. Foreign languages are just for better communication. In Vietnam, English is required for working in multinational environment, however, other skills are more important. In Korea, no one speak English other than for working with foreigners, and I am pretty sure about same thing with China and Japan, Taiwan,. The English skill of average Korean are terrible, however that can not prevent them from being the leader in many fields of high technology, even in IT.

I seriously think you are blind. And Dont try to fool us, if you are not blind you can find that it is hardly to find chinese started trolling in indian thread, and you will aslo find that indian started trolling in every thread realated to china.
BTW: Why not just admit your fault simplly instead of start BS? At first, I thought shameless person like Justin Joseph is just a special sample of indian, but now I begain to believe that most indian dont and never admit their fault even in front of a fact, and just start BS.:tdown:

YADA YADA!

because shenzhen was a fishing village before 1980, everyone speaks mandarin since they are all immigrants from the rest of the country. it's not even close to cantonese.

our situation is different from india where some languages are totally different from one another. its mostly guangdong and shanghai that are really different... in the southwest and center, like in sichuan, hubei and hunan, the accents are very similar, and these accents can also be understood by people from the north.

i don't like white wine = =

Exactly the point why there is more acceptance of English in India. We work with Hindi + English + the regional language so we learn English. That should explain a lot of questions to our other friends falling over each other in saying that culture is lacking in India. We have too much culture in fact.

Re the wines, the Great wall reds are not too bad if that is what you have in mind........

It is pretty bizzare that some people taking proud in being good at English or foreign languages. Foreign languages are just for better communication. In Vietnam, English is required for working in multinational environment, however, other skills are more important. In Korea, no one speak English other than for working with foreigners, and I am pretty sure about same thing with China and Japan, Taiwan,. The English skill of average Korean are terrible, however that can not prevent them from being the leader in many fields of high technology, even in IT.

I agree with you completely....
unfortunately there are ppl in my country who think its great to speak english rather than their own language.... this is the dirty gift given to us by the british...
Learning is fine it is useful.... but replacing English with the native language is pathetic

unfortunately there are ppl in my country who think its great to speak english rather than their own language.... this is the dirty gift given to us by the british...
Learning is fine it is useful.... but replacing English with the native language is pathetic
Hi
Exactly being able to speak in English has become more of a status symbol especially in India & Pakistan.

I personally think people should elarn new languages, especially English, since it helps everyone communicate. We won't all be able to communicate here if we didn't know English!

But the problem starts when people start substituting their mother tongue with English. This is a fast occuring problem in certain parts of India and also with Non Resident Indians (NRIs). Many parents proudly show how their child speaks 'only English' at home. It has become a symbol of pseudo-sophistication in India.

It is true that having a large English speaking population helps India, but this shouldn't come at a cost to our culture and language. It pains me to see so many Indians who are unable to read or write their mother tongue, and some who can't even speak it! It is a real shame that many in our country give precedence to English over our mother tongues.

I understand that the jibe is at me - But let me assure you that I don't endorse English speaking over one's Mother-tongue - My comments were more so for the sake of argument and just rebuttals!

It I were so pro English speaking developed nations I would have never returned to India after spending 4 years in Canada for my graduate degree. I could have easily worked out there but decided to come back.

So if the JIBE was at me then I believe I have clarified my stance and I apologize to anyone and everyone who got offended by my remarks!

:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom