What's new

Modi right to ditch English but he should speak Sanskrit at UN

language for the brahmins a medium of "scholarly communication" reeks of castism. Learning Sanskrit was restricted only to Pandits (brahmins) "the upper caste" so that lower castes couldn't be educated. It was never spoken by the masses so Mother of all Indian language can suck on my left nut
Have you read the Ramayana?
And what do you precisely mean by - 'all Indian language can s**********'? Don't move in circles and answer as precisely as possible.

Secondly - On topic - Modi will speak in Hindi or Gujarati and NOT in Sanskrit in International Forums. Media will continue to build castles in the air.

The fact that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has decided to speak Hindi with his foreign visitors is a clear statement of principle: there is no need to apologise for Indian-ness, nor is there the need to consider English the be-all and end-all. I liked this view in Firstpost that this helps put the Indian back in Indian-ness. The fact that a number of MPs took their oaths in Sanskrit is further evidence that the age of the unquestioned kowtowing to foreign tongues is coming to an end. Vive la difference, as the French might say. Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi calling on Prime MinisterNarendra Modi, in New Delhi on 09 June 2014. Image courtesy PIB I have long felt that languages are subversive, and that sometimes they are masks of conquest. Over time I have begun to feel that, in particular, English is enormously harmful in subtle ways. Now this is a hard thing for me to admit since English is the language that I prefer to write in, and so in a way I am sawing away at the branch that I sit on, quite Kalidasa-like. Nevertheless, the memes that we absorb with the language essentially deracinate us, because they are so alien. For instance, it was intriguing to hear recently from British Prime Minister David Cameron that “the UK is a Christian country” and that he was intent on propagating his religion (“David Cameron: I am evangelical about my faith”, see The Guardian, 17 April 2014).
This is about as bluntly unsecular as one can be: he was declaring that his country not only had an official religion, but that he would go to some length to give primacy to that religion. In contrast, would any politician in India dare comment even on the fact that looting Hindu temples and transferring their wealth to the state was inappropriate? The government has in fact launched an attack on the Sree Padmanabhaswami Temple in Thiruvananthapuram with the possible intent of grabbing the billions in gold and antiques and gems in its vaults. But no such thought ever enters the European (Christian) mind. To say that the Vatican has immense wealth that should properly belong to the masses would be considered blasphemy. The notion that Britain is a Christian country is not new.
Years ago, I read the brilliant Raj Syndrome: A Study in Imperial Perceptions by Suhash Chakravarty ,which, with voluminous research, showed that there was, in practice, little difference between the church and the imperial regime (as I described in my column The Predatory State). I felt a sense of déjà vu when the famously secular The Economist magazine tweeted “ the Arab Muslim world is reacting negatively to a forthcoming movie about Noah, sacred history’s first boat-builder” (emphasis added, and in case you doubt me, below is a screenshot of this tweet timestamped 5:42pm, 13 Mar 2014). This is a plug for its religious blog, Erasmus, which generally talks – very positively of course – about Abrahamic religions, particularly Christianity. I shall focus on The Economist because I read it regularly, and it probably is the standard-bearer among wide-circulation English-language publications. A screenshot of The Economist's tweet It amused me because ‘sacred history’ is a deliciously creative euphemism for ‘Christian mythology’: so concrete and real-sounding! The word ‘mythology’, I have noticed over time, is reserved by Anglophones for any non-Semitic stories, eg. Greek, Norse, Hindu, Buddhist, Roman, etc. Whereas when it comes time to describing their own mythology, Anglophones use ‘scripture’, and never ‘mythology’. But I think ‘sacred history’ is even better, implying there is ‘real’ history and then ‘sacred’ history. Which is true: there is history, and then there is myth.
The problem is that the Anglophone West, and their friends in India, have a tendency to conflate – often with malice aforethought – their myth with history. For instance, let’s take the founding myth of Christian dogma. There is no clear evidence that Jesus Christ actually existed. No relics, no artifacts, no contemporary historical records, nothing. Nada. Zip. (Well, to be precise, there is the historian Josephus Flavius, but if you believe him, then you must also believe his history of the Essenes which tell you that the reported teachings of Jesus were all in the Essene Gospels of a couple of hundred years earlier).
Similarly there is the beloved myth of St Thomas who, ‘sacred history’ says, arrived in Kerala around 70CE, converted Nambudiri Brahmins, and was murdered in Chennai by Brahmins with a spear, and his skeleton is in Chennai. There are only three problems with this: Thomas never actually went to India, there were no Nambudiris in Kerala at the time, and the Vatican itself certifies that Thomas’ remains are in Ortona, Italy. But this has not stopped the myth from becoming “truth by repeated assertion”. There is also a nice little embellishment I heard from Shashi Tharoor, that a Jewish girl with a flute greeted the man on a Kerala beach. Those little details… sheer genius! There were Jews in Kerala around the time: so the plausibility quotient goes up.
For a history-centric set of religions – as in the Semitic/Abrahamic religions Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, along with the quasi-religion of Communism – it is important that major historic events that are supposed to have taken place are treated as true history, things that actually happened. Hence the desperate attempt to confuse ‘real history’ and ‘sacred history’: in other words, an assertion that myth is real. Or, in other words, a ‘sacred lie’. Correspondingly, there is also the subtle denigration of Hindu history as myth. The Aryan invasion mythology is one such attempt – Hindu ithihasa (ithi-hasa: thus it happened) does not jell with the 4004 BCE creation mythology of the Abrahamics (Bishop Ussher’s 4004 BCE genesis date is the basis of Max Mueller’s assertions). Therefore, the Hindu ithihasa must be myth. QED. In fact, the exact opposite is likely to be the truth: ithihasa as history, Aryan invasion as myth. The work of Bart Ehrmann, Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, including his book Forged, suggest that there is a great deal of forgery, extrapolation, errors, etc. in the New Testament. This is unlikely to be ‘history’. The work of Thomas Thompson, a retired Professor of Theology at the University of Copenhagen and a leading archeologist, especially The Historicity of the Patriarchal Narratives, is notable. It suggests that the Old Testament (Jewish Bible) version of history “is not supported by any archaeological evidence so far unearthed, indeed undermined by it, and that it therefore cannot be trusted as history”. This is ‘sacred history’? (By the way, Thompson was made unemployable in US academia by Catholic theologians, and so worked as a school teacher, janitor, and housepainter, until the Israelis, and later, Danes, invited him to tenure-track positions.)
So this ‘sacred history’ business is very dubious, but The Economist perseveres. Though years of reading it carefully I have noticed that they use the term ‘Holy Land’ very often (isn’t this rather non-secular, and highly ethnocentric? An outsider certainly wouldn’t consider the West Asian desert particularly holy.). And for a Hindu or a Buddhist, his ‘Holy Land’ is India. So whose point of view is it? Similarly, ‘Holy See’: why not simply say, ‘Vatican’? Given the reality that it is the biggest, oldest, multinational organisation out there, and that it has a dual status as a country (with its own UN seat) and a religious entity, the Anglophone use of ‘holy’ strikes me as much the same as a vacuous formal title, such as ‘Lord’ or something. The Economist story on Palestine Here’s another recent Economist story, where it asserts something about “the birthplace of Jesus”, as though it were self-evidently true, not a pious belief (see the screenshot). In fact, the traditional account of how the birthplace of Jesus was ‘found’ is that it came in a dream to Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine, with no corroborative evidence whatsoever, that Bethlehem was the spot. A Greek or Roman temple that stood on the spot was destroyed. Similarly, the Economist magazine has its ‘Advent Calendar’, a special ‘Christmas Issue’, and it always talks about Christian texts (and only Christian texts) as ‘scripture’, for instance in “Religion in Northern Ireland: Staging the scriptures” (2010). Again, ethnocentric and religio-centric. I also noticed that, for 2014’s Good Friday, they pushed up their publication by one day, so that Christians could take the day off – note the equivalent of all these would be condemned if done in India for Hindus. I wouldn’t have an issue if all this was confined to the Anglophones: it’s their language, their religion, their problem. But it is seriously polluting and undermining the Indian sense of self-hood.
It pains me to point out that, along with the language, we speakers of English as a second language have acquired a number of unfortunate memes (and prejudices) that are grossly culture-specific. One example is that of ‘crossing one’s fingers’. An article dated 14 March 2014 in Livemint.com (“How Isro got an indigenous cryogenic engine”) starts off with: “Mission director K Sivan kept his fingers firmly crossed in the mission control room at the ISRO….” This is comical because it is unlikely that too many people in India would cross their fingers: it is not natural for Indians. Besides, the engineers and scientists of ISRO are probably less religious, even if they happen to be Christians, than the average punter. But that meme of ‘crossing one’s fingers’ has become part of the discourse. So has ‘christening’ for the simple act of ‘naming’ something. And ‘blue eyed-boy’. This in a country where non-brown eyes have traditionally been a sign of abnormality! Or ‘roses in December’: as Vikram Seth said acidly in Diwali, roses actually grow just fine in India in December! “Into each life a little rain must fall”: yes, and we welcome it. In India, we welcome the cooling monsoon, the warm, soul-liberating rain, not the bleak, soul-deadeningly chilly drizzle of northern latitudes. As I write this, the monsoon has just hit landfall in Kerala, and all of us are awaiting its arrival with great anticipation, and we are a little tremulous about the El Nino’s effects of a deficient monsoon.
Similarly, we see many write about the “elephant-headed Hindu God, Ganesha” (including Indians writing in English). Fair enough: the deity is indeed elephant-headed. But how come we don’t see anywhere, in reverse, about a divine dead body nailed to a cross. Yet, there is a mental block about saying that: it sounds… odd. That is what I mean by unconscious acceptance of metaphors and memes. There is in fact no reason for Indians to internalise these Western vanities. There are many such metaphors and clichés that Indians use unwittingly that have no meaning in their context. This shows the extent to which they have been brainwashed into an Abrahamic way of thinking. I do not by means suggest that they should abandon English (it is fairly useful for trade and international exchanges); but let them be aware of the religious and cultural biases that pervade that language, that they have absorbed unwittingly.
This is why an uncompromising stand on language – for example, I believe Prime Minister Modi should read his prepared speeches at the UN, etc, in Sanskrit and it will be interpreted for others – is a proper part of a cultural reawakening and self-assertion. Indians don’t need to be colonised in the mind any more. Some might accuse me of wanting to deny others the benefits I have received from English, I would suggest they get truly fluent in their mother tongue as well as English. In my defence, I am thoroughly familiar with one language, Malayalam, and it is my language of the heart. It is the works of Vijayan, Pottekkat, Mukundan and their Malayalam cohort that speak to me. With exceptions like Amitabh Ghosh’s ‘The Shadow Lines’, the entire corpus of Indo-Anglian literature leaves me a little cold: it is like making love through an interpreter.

Read more at: Modi right to ditch English but he should speak Sanskrit at UN | Firstpost

@arp2041 , @wolfschanzze , @levina , @thesolar65 , @Arya Desa , @SarthakGanguly ,@others.
Real truth of The Economist Magazine.

Very "informative" article!!!
Frankly I think modi chose hindi because he has a better command over that language albeit using Sanskrit during UN conferences might be like taking this a little too far. Or am i wrong???
Yess Sanskrit is a forgotten language and the present generation doesn't use it or understand it. It does need a push.
Modi turning up as sanskrit ambassador might help.
I feel I am contradicting myself.

Modi will bring shame to India,not speaking english. If he can't speak to 60% of India,how is he going to project India as a superpower to the world?e'll shatter the reputation built by people like APJ.

Modi will bring shame to India,not speaking english. If he can't speak to 60% of India,how is he going to project India as a superpower to the world?e'll shatter the reputation built by people like APJ.
Its time to end this slave era mentality!!!

English is just a foreign language, Indians should proudly use hindi. Not speaking english wont harm India's reputation but not making progress would.
What did the oxford english speaking MMS achieve???
Frankly I dont want to sully MMS he's a good human being, but what I meant was actions speak louder than words.

English is just a foreign language, Indians should proudly use hindi. Not speaking english wont harm India's reputation but not making progress would.
Frankly I dont want to sully MMS he's a good human being, but what I meant was actions speak louder than words.

Oh smart boy,how many Indians speak hindi?What will modi do to non hindi speakers?Burn them like in Gujarat?

How many DONT speak hindi???
As far as I have gleaned most of them understand and speak hindi.

Why is it that I am getting a feeling that you are here to post flamebaits??? :coffee:

Flamebait is when you post things not considering your fellow Indians. Do you know that there are several Indians who cannot understand hindi?How will they know it? Hindi speaking areas are to the north while,to the south people don't speak hindi,their language,tradtion etc differs.How will people of tamilnadu understand modi?should they learn hindi going to speacial classes?

He should speak in whatever language he wants too including English. Crybabies can cry all the want. Period.

I thought Hindi was the language of India? Or perhaps a language more close to Hindus than Indians in General is the new "secular" Indian state??

He should speak in whatever language he wants too including English. Crybabies can cry all the want. Period.
Tell me,then how will a non hindi speaker understand what he's saying?If he's speaking something in hindi,then there should be a way for others to understand him!

I thought Hindi was the language of India? Or perhaps a language more close to Hindus than Indians in General is the new "secular" Indian state??
There are several languages in India other than hindi,some 16 of them are used in our currencies even.The attitude of some that only hindi speakers should be able to understand what modi says is disgusting.

Then sorry to say but you are ignorant here sir. Hindi is a official language in India Just like 21 more. Though Its true that more or less but ~75% Indians can speak or understand Hindi as their primary or secondary language, more than any other official language in India.

Spot on.!

Modi is not comfortable with speaking in English...that's the truth... and its ok if he takes help of a translator to rightly convey his views and messages....we can afford a translator for our PM....We Indians are not interested in his Obama style talking skill....we want working and practical PM ..Hope Modi will perform up the expectations!

Then sorry to say but you are ignorant here sir. Hindi is a official language in India Just like 21 more. Though Its true that more or less but ~75% Indians can speak or understand Hindi as their primary or secondary language, more than any other official language in India.
More people of India will understand english than they'll understand hindi.Had Modi had any respect for the multi culture of India,he would've used english and not hindi.

he speaks hindi because he is more comfortable in that language. Have you seen his english interview, worse than even hasina.. o_O
About secularism, its a gray issue. :p:

More people of India will understand english than they'll understand hindi.Had Modi had any respect for the multi culture of India,he would've used english and not hindi.
see my above post, his english is shit basically.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom