What's new

Modi right to ditch English but he should speak Sanskrit at UN

I am not sure if all 1.25 billion Indians will be present along with him while he speak with foreign dignitaries. I don't know what the fuss is all about here, nothing wrong in using a language you are good at.

he speaks hindi because he is more comfortable in that language. Have you seen his english interview, worse than even hasina.. o_O
About secularism, its a gray issue. :p:

see my above post, his english is shit basically.

I dont have a quarrel with him speaking Hindi.. its the language of the people..most Indians understand at least a little of it if not fluent.. Its the suggestion of using sanskrit that I find irksome.

I dont have a quarrel with him speaking Hindi.. its the language of the people..most Indians understand at least a little of it if not fluent.. Its the suggestion of using sanskrit that I find irksome.
ah.. I am sure a few muslim want him to speak arabic and wear skullcap as an ultimate test of secularism.
We are billion plus people, everybody wants something. Individuals are not required to be secular in secular democracy (many Indians dont even believe in democracy)... :p:

Last edited:
Then sorry to say but you are ignorant here sir. Hindi is a official language in India Just like 21 more. Though Its true that more or less but ~75% Indians can speak or understand Hindi as their primary or secondary language, more than any other official language in India.

Actually, it is you that have played a little hasty ignorance.. I support his speech in Hindi.. what I question is the Sanskrit language which is closer to Hinduism than the other representation of India. A little reading into context might help .

ah.. I am sure a few muslim want him to speak arabic and wear skullcap as an ultimate test of secularism.
We are billion plus people, everybody wants something. Individuals are not required to be non secular in secular democracy (many Indians dont even believe in democracy)... :p:

Would be an interesting sight no?
However, it still does not answer the suggestion of the OP that he speak in sanskrit instead of Hindi. Why sanskrit?

Last edited:
Actually, it is you that have played a little hasty ignorance.. I support his speech in Hindi.. what I question is the Sanskrit language which is closer to Hinduism than the other representation of India. A little reading into context might help .

However, it still does not answer the suggestion of the OP that he speak in sanskrit instead of Hindi. Why sanskrit?
I did not read the article, its too big but those who propose either belong to hindu right (hindu revivalist to be more accurate) or lover of sanskrit.
There is this notion everywhere that everything was awsome 'in olden days' and if we relive that past we will be awsome again.

May be because it is the language of Ancient India from which most of our languages sprung except for South Indian languages.It's got nothing to do with religion. It's got more to do with our origins.

I believe he will speak in Hindi though , the language most commonly understood in India, even though some South Indians may not like it.

May be because it is the language of Ancient India from which most of our languages sprung except for South Indian languages.It's got nothing to do with religion. It's got more to do with our origins.

I believe he will speak in Hindi though , the language most commonly understood in India, even though some South Indians may not like it.

That it may be, but ancient India is no longer the exclusive origin of all Indians. They have come from many migrating races and cultures. Hence, by that logic.. Modi should also speak some form of ancient dravidian.. since those too have been around for a while and also represent a large section of cultures in India.

Okay sorry for confusion. Anyway I don't see why many Indians are making issue out of a non issue. Let him choose whatever language he wants to speak. As long as Its Indian language, I am okay.

Okay sorry for confusion. Anyway I don't see why many Indians are making issue out of a non issue. Let him choose whatever language he wants to speak. As long as Its Indian language, I am okay.
If he could speak English, I would have prefered that. He is not going to UN to show off his Indianness to us. I hate politicians using TV as a platform for advertisement. Even some MPs are conscious of lok sabha broadcast.

That is fine, but it would behoove the PM to speak a language that is understood and represents a majority of Indians.

If he could speak English, I would have prefered that. He is not going to UN to show off his Indianness to us. I hate politicians using TV as a platform for advertisement. Even some MPs are conscious of lok sabha broadcast.
Well when I said 'Indian language', It also includes English as Its one of our official language.

That is fine, but it would behoove the PM to speak a language that is understood and represents a majority of Indians.
Thats right and you know which language is that. Anyway I personally feel that he will speak in Hindi as he is fluent in that and also Its understandable for majorty of Indians.

Thats right and you know which language is that. Anyway I personally feel that he will speak in Hindi as he is fluent in that and also Its understandable for majorty of Indians.

Certainly not sanskrit, dont you agree?

Tell me,then how will a non hindi speaker understand what he's saying?If he's speaking something in hindi,then there should be a way for others to understand him!

There are several languages in India other than hindi,some 16 of them are used in our currencies even.The attitude of some that only hindi speakers should be able to understand what modi says is disgusting.
Lol,from exactly where did you get the idea that only Hindi speakers understand Hindi!I am a Bengali person and i am quite fluent in Hindi and so are all of my friends here in Kolkata.But it would be far better if Mr.Modi chooses to deliver all his speeches in Sanskrit as it will definitely give Sanskrit a lot of boost plus my personal opinion is to make Sanskrit the new national language of the Republic of India and make it mandatory in all schools.Sanskrit is the language(albeit the written one) of our ancestors and hence it should be taught to the newer generations to help them connect with our glorious past.The best thing that this Govt. can do is to make Sanskrit a compulsory language for all those people who want to get any Governmental job.....:coffee:

Why does it bother you if he speaks hindi? Or in other words why do you prefer that he speak english? Why does it matter?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom