What's new

Modi right to ditch English but he should speak Sanskrit at UN

That it may be, but ancient India is no longer the exclusive origin of all Indians. They have come from many migrating races and cultures. Hence, by that logic.. Modi should also speak some form of ancient dravidian.. since those too have been around for a while and also represent a large section of cultures in India.

Well again Dravidian language speakers form about 25 % of our population, a minority while other 75 % speak a language with it's origins in Sanskrit. Anyway, whatever it is, most people in India don't understand Sanskrit today, Hindi being the most spoken and understood language, therefore he will I believe speak in Hindi only. It's a non-Issue really.

I am just wondering why the idea of an Indian PM speaking in Sanskrit at UN irked a Pakistani though ? :what:

Well again Dravidian language speakers form about 25 % of our population, a minority while other 75 % speak a language with it's origins in Sanskrit. Anyway, whatever it is, most people in India don't understand Sanskrit today, Hindu being the most spoken and understood language, therefore he will I believe speak in Hindi only. It's a non-Issue really.

I am just wondering why the idea of an Indian PM speaking in Sanskrit at UN irked a Pakistani though ? :what:

Because he associates Sanskrit exclusively with Hindus. Pakistanis are obsessed with Hindu-Muslim dynamics in India.

Certainly not sanskrit, dont you agree?
Ofcourse yes. Though I have no issues if he chooses a language among our 20+ official languages. I would personally like him to chose Hindi or English but then I am okay with all as long as they are Indian languages.

Why does it bother you if he speaks hindi? Or in other words why do you prefer that he speak english? Why does it matter?
it matters because most delegates understand English and you dont have to translate. But then its better to speak hindi than make a fool of yourself trying to speak a language you are uncomfortable to use.

it matters because most delegates understand English and you dont have to translate. But then its better to speak hindi than make a fool of yourself trying to speak a language you are uncomfortable to use.

Translation is not a problem :lol: Most world leaders speak in their own languages anyway. Modi did not pick Hindi to only show off his "Indianness"; he did it also because he is well versed in it and feels more comfortable speaking hindi. I don't see the problem with that.

Translation is not a problem :lol: Most world leaders speak in their own languages anyway. Modi did not pick Hindi to only show off his "Indianness"; he did it also because he is well versed in it and feels more comfortable speaking hindi. I don't see the problem with that.
I know why modi chose hindi.. but I am replying to modi followers who want him to speak in hindi because 'it is Indian language'.
he should speak in hindi because he is comfortable and he is not good in English. Its not a big deal, not everybody need to be fluent in English but if you are, use it to your benefit.

I second that. He should speak in whatever language he is confortable with. Certainly English is not that.

It really doesn't matter which language he uses as long as he is comfortable with it and he is doing good for the country.
I am wondering why some members here are so much concerned about his linguistic skills in English? :hitwall:

On the other side the decision to speak in Hindi is definitely going to be an advantage for him as his thought process is more natural, spontaneous when using the language that he is comfortable with.

History has enough examples of leaders who played decisive role in shaping the world, irrespective of whether they speak good English or not!

Actions speaks more than words!

Last edited:
Sanskrit for India seems like Middle Chinese for China.

The common ancestor of most modern language families in the country.

Aren't we asking for bit too much from Modi in too little time? I would love to hear him speak in Hindi at UNGA. Sanskrit needs to be revived... but let's not leave it to the politicians. They got too much in their plate. Sanskrit needs to re-invent itself within the educational & cultural system!

How many Indians would even understand it?

Some people are clearly losing their minds.
how many indians understand european languages? still why do they take french,german as subjects in 12th class or in degree?
likewise, those who want to learn will learn, what's wrong in speaking the language which was base of all indian languages? and which he is comfortable in?

Modi will bring shame to India,not speaking english. If he can't speak to 60% of India,how is he going to project India as a superpower to the world?e'll shatter the reputation built by people like APJ.
Do chinese speak english? or do russians,japanese,or europeans when they address UN? only english speaking countries speak english and they have translators in UN, why have such inferiority complex when speaking your own language?be it Hindi or sanskrit or gujarati?

May be because it is the language of Ancient India from which most of our languages sprung except for South Indian languages.It's got nothing to do with religion. It's got more to do with our origins.

I believe he will speak in Hindi though , the language most commonly understood in India, even though some South Indians may not like it.
Even Telugu has roots in Sanskrit, it is only the dravida parties which say sanskrit is not the root of tamil,who can argue with a bunch who still believe in aryan invasion theory and aryan dravidian crap?Modi is free to speak in the language he wants and he is comfortable in,others in media are crying(The left intellectual JNU bunch and OXBridge junta) because he is increasingly making people shun the inferiority complex and speak in hindi rather than english.

Last edited:
I doubt even Modi knows Sanskrit although I don't like him using Hindi either. He should have preferred using his mother tongue Gujarati IMO

Since he represents India now, not Gujarat, he needs to speak a language that is more representative. Of course, people will point out that Hindi does not represent all of India either.

Forget about the world.. Whole India needs translators if he is going to talk in Sanskrit!! BTW whats in a language guys?? It is used to communicate with people.. Who cares whether it is Hindi or English, if it manages to reach the audience!!

Even Telugu has roots in Sanskrit, it is only the dravida parties which say sanskrit is not the root of tamil,who can argue with a bunch who still believe in aryan invasion theory and aryan dravidian crap?.

Sanskrit belong to the Indo -European group of language, whereas Tamil has no link to any language outside of India, Tamil root can be traced to Indus valley seals

Tamil is the oldest living language of India and the world. It belongs to the Dravidian group of languages

Oldest Language of India - Tamil - Oldest Living Language of World - Most Ancient Language of India

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom