What's new

Harry Potter star Afshan threatened by family for dating Hindu boy

Yeti

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Afshan Azad, 22, the high-profile Harry Potter actress remains in hiding after refusing to appear in a London court. Ms. Azad had been seeing a non-Muslim man, a Hindu. Her family, specifically her father, Abul Azad, 53, and her brother Ashraf, 28, called her a “prostitute” and tried to force her into an arranged marriage with a Muslim man. Her brother also beat and her father threatened to kill her in May of this year. She escaped her family home and has been in hiding ever since. According to the Telegraph, she refused to testify against her family, saying that doing so would endanger her further. Apparently the British police tried but failed to persuade Ms. Azad to testify.

Ms. Azad’s refusal to appear makes sense to me. She is already in great danger for having associated with a non-Muslim man. Add to that the public and shameful exposure of her family in this matter. Having her male relatives jailed would mean a torturous death sentence.
I have published two studies about honor killing. The first appeared in 2009 in Middle East Quarterly; the second appeared there as well in 2010. In the most recent publication, I studied 230 victims who were honor-murdered on five continents over a twenty year period in 172 separate incidents. (More than one person was murdered in some of the incidents). As these studies have shown, immigrants to the West, including and especially immigrants from South Asia (Ms. Azad is of Bangladeshi descent), continue to perpetrate honor killings in the West.

The level of violence towards girls and women in South Asia can be barbarous and quite unbelievable.

Horrific vigilante mob violence is routinely perpetrated against innocent individuals in Pakistan. Recently, the Pakistani “Taliban” have been known to throw acid into the faces of schoolgirls, disfiguring them for life, if they were seen as improperly veiled or trying to attend grade school.

In 1998, Zahida Perveen’s husband, in a fit of rage, bound her hand and foot and then, using a razor and a knife, proceeded to cut out her eyes and slice off her ears and nose. Zahida’s crime? Her husband suspected that she was having an affair with a brother-in-law. At the time, Zahida was three months pregnant.

In 2004, a tribal council in Pakistan in the Punjab ordered that a young girl be publicly gang-raped then paraded naked through her village—a punishment for an alleged crime committed by her brother. This case became known worldwide when the girl not only did not kill herself but indeed pressed charges.

Girls in South Asia and elsewhere are routinely killed for far less than choosing their own husbands. They are murdered if a false rumor has been spread or if they are seen even talking to a male non-relative. There are few police officers, few judges, few social workers, few lawyers who would be able or willing to protect Ms. Azad in South East Asia from her family’s permanent desire to kill her and so to “cleanse their own shame.” Honor killings take place both among rural, indigent and illiterate South Asian families—and among highly educated, literate, professional, and wealthy South Asian families too.

In 2009, I received an extraordinary report which documented honor killings in Pakistan. (Although Ms. Azad’s family is from Bangladesh, the country was actually part of Pakistan until 1971, and its culture is very similar to Pakistan’s.) My Pakistani informant, of the SW Community Development Department, in Sind, Pakistan, sent me an unpublished paper in which he describes and explains Ms. Azad’s family’s culture very carefully:

Will Honor Killing Threats Keep Harry Potter Actress in Permanent Hiding? | NewsReal Blog

In 2009, I received an extraordinary report which documented honor killings in Pakistan. (Although Ms. Azad’s family is from Bangladesh, the country was actually part of Pakistan until 1971, and its culture is very similar to Pakistan’s.) My Pakistani informant, of the SW Community Development Department, in Sind, Pakistan, sent me an unpublished paper in which he describes and explains Ms. Azad’s family’s culture very carefully

Whereas I personally wouldn't mind exposing Pakistan's mistreatment of women wherever found, I found this bit really hilarious. The media makes an extra effort to somehow or the other hang Pakistan.

the new generation of indian youth is rising as faithless and indentityless..couple of decades in the future they will be asking "muslim who"??
a slap for the "secular india" trolls!

Asim Aquil said:
Whereas I personally wouldn't mind exposing Pakistan's mistreatment of women wherever found, I found this bit really hilarious. The media makes an extra effort to somehow or the other hang Pakistan.

What would your expect from journalists writing with orange ink?

Love has no religion one should be free to pick the partner of their choice without the fear of retribution especially if living in a free democratic western nation like UK.

more than hilarious, from a world view its always evil pakistan against an angel indian, all evils of the world begin and end in pakistan alnoe, the world was pure contended happy, blessed without pakistan..

Lol seriously.

Was this supposed to be an article about mistreatment of women in Pakistan or Afshan?

Azad is from Longsight in Manchester, She is of Bangladeshi descent

mujhe to bas Harmayeni ka hi pata thaa - is ka kahan thaa scene :confused:

chalo khayr - its her life - meray kehne se bhi is ne nahi baaz aana to phir kya faida comment maarne ka

Iski life hai jo marzi karay

Chalega! :tup:

One thing that surprises me is,if the family was indeed so orthodox,how did they agree to let her act in a movie in the first place?

Having lived in UK I can tell you the modern day youngsters bar the religious ones drink, smoke, go party, have sex and date whoever they want but most have to hide from mummy and daddy or elder bros as it might bring shame on the family if they were caught.

But this potter film was like a childrens fantasy movie her parents must have thought what harm could come of it or perhaps they saw the $$ who knows

mujhe to bas Harmayeni ka hi pata thaa - is ka kahan thaa scene :confused:

chalo khayr - its her life - meray kehne se bhi is ne nahi baaz aana to phir kya faida comment maarne ka

Iski life hai jo marzi karay

hahahaha....HARMAYENI:lol::lol:
reminds me of my childhood, even i use to say that.

hahahaha....HARMAYENI:lol::lol:
reminds me of my childhood, even i use to say that.

I know right way to spell is "Hermione" but its just that I love twisting words to make it sound little more interesting

didn't know you used to pronounce like that

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom