What's new

Ethiopia army voices readiness to pay the price for Nile dam

Hakan

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Ethiopia army voices readiness to pay the price for Nile dam | Africa | Worldbulletin News
Ethiopian army voiced their readiness to 'protect' the country's hydroelectric dam project.

World Bulletin / News Desk

A host of Ethiopian army commanders have voiced their readiness to protect the country's multibillion-dollar hydroelectric dam project, currently at the heart of a major row with Cairo due to Egyptian fears the dam could threaten its traditional share of Nile water.

State-run television reported that military commanders had visited the project site, during which they had voiced their readiness to "pay the price" to protect the dam, which they described as a "national project."

According to state television, the visit – the first by military commanders to the site – came as part of activities marking Ethiopia's Army Day.

Relations between Egypt and Ethiopia soured last year over a plan by the latter to build its Grand Renaissance Dam on the upper reaches of the Nile River – which has historically represented Egypt's main source of water.

The controversial project raised alarm bells in Egypt, the Arab world's most populous country, which fears a reduction of its traditional share of Nile water.

Water distribution among Nile Basin states has long been regulated by a colonial-era agreement granting Egypt and Sudan the lion's share of the river's water.

Ethiopia, for its part, is determined to build a series of dams in order to generate electricity, both for local consumption and export.

Addis Ababa insists the new dam will benefit downstream states Sudan and Egypt, which will be invited to purchase the electricity thus generated.

Last week, Egyptian Water Resources and Irrigation Minister Mohamed Abdel-Muttalib said that Egypt was leaving "all options are open" in dealing with the project.

"Ethiopian decision-makers must bring a solution to the table that won't compromise Egypt's share of water," Abdel-Muttalib had told Anadolu Agency.

Local Egyptian media recently quoted Irrigation Ministry spokesman Khalid Wasif as saying that Egypt would take its complaints against the Ethiopian dam project to the "international" level.

In response, Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn said his country would "win politically" if Egypt insisted on international arbitration.

waiting for a war for quite some time, hope it happens.

Egyptian army is much stronger. I doubt Ethiopia will make such a move. I really would like to see that Christian stronghold being slapped down tough. They keep negging muslims.

Egyptian army is much stronger. I doubt Ethiopia will make such a move. I really would like to see that Christian stronghold being slapped down tough. They keep negging muslims.

Why man,,, why? i thought you've problem with jews.... why bring Christians in your hate..

Egypt will bomb the dam once its half full then whole Ethiopia will sink down.

Ethiopia army voices readiness to pay the price for Nile dam | Africa | Worldbulletin News
Ethiopian army voiced their readiness to 'protect' the country's hydroelectric dam project.

World Bulletin / News Desk

A host of Ethiopian army commanders have voiced their readiness to protect the country's multibillion-dollar hydroelectric dam project, currently at the heart of a major row with Cairo due to Egyptian fears the dam could threaten its traditional share of Nile water.

State-run television reported that military commanders had visited the project site, during which they had voiced their readiness to "pay the price" to protect the dam, which they described as a "national project."

According to state television, the visit – the first by military commanders to the site – came as part of activities marking Ethiopia's Army Day.

Relations between Egypt and Ethiopia soured last year over a plan by the latter to build its Grand Renaissance Dam on the upper reaches of the Nile River – which has historically represented Egypt's main source of water.

The controversial project raised alarm bells in Egypt, the Arab world's most populous country, which fears a reduction of its traditional share of Nile water.

Water distribution among Nile Basin states has long been regulated by a colonial-era agreement granting Egypt and Sudan the lion's share of the river's water.

Ethiopia, for its part, is determined to build a series of dams in order to generate electricity, both for local consumption and export.

Addis Ababa insists the new dam will benefit downstream states Sudan and Egypt, which will be invited to purchase the electricity thus generated.

Last week, Egyptian Water Resources and Irrigation Minister Mohamed Abdel-Muttalib said that Egypt was leaving "all options are open" in dealing with the project.

"Ethiopian decision-makers must bring a solution to the table that won't compromise Egypt's share of water," Abdel-Muttalib had told Anadolu Agency.

Local Egyptian media recently quoted Irrigation Ministry spokesman Khalid Wasif as saying that Egypt would take its complaints against the Ethiopian dam project to the "international" level.

In response, Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn said his country would "win politically" if Egypt insisted on international arbitration.

Heard 5 years ago that Egyptian military is threatening not to build them or they will go for war with them.

How are they gonna fight each other with Sudan in the middle?
It will be limited to Air Strikes, Cover Ops, Naval engagements, in all of which Egypt is going to beat the living crap out of Ethiopians.

Can you explain about population and how many Muslims and what Military they have.

Ethiopia population is around 90 million, the Muslims in Ethiopia is roughly 60% (although the official Numbers from the government is 36.5%) which is funny considering the last census it was 45%-50% of the population, the muslims have the highest birthrate by far and conversion out of islam is almost non existent yet they shrank by 15%.lol (the % was reduced for political reasons)

The Ethiopians Government is christian dominated yet the army is almost 80% Muslim (except the officers). Similar to what syria had Most the army was Sunni but the officers and the ruling power are alawites, In general in Ethiopian army is poorly equipped but their quality is in the numbers which they can mass, in a conventional war they wouldn't stand a chance against egypt, however to invade ethiopia is very hard due to the terrians in the north where the dam is (similar to Afghanistan).

The only confrontation i can see would be long range (airstrikes, medium range missiles from the red sea etc), Ethiopia has depolyed SAM Batteries around the dam but don't know if that is to bluff the egyptians as it might not be enough to deter the egyptians if they are continued with the plan of destroying the dam. Ethiopians are getting encouraged and Pushed By Israel to test the egyptians nerves and see how far they can get away with but if an egyptian attack in imminent after all the diplomatic effort been exhausted i would expect ethiopia to back down.

This is my First post on this forum i hope my knowledge of africans affairs would help fellow members in here. :)

you can't bomb it when its half full unless you want nearly 40 Billion cubic meters spilling over towards khartoum (sudan) wiping out the city and 300 meters from each bank along the way. If you want to bomb the dam its either before it gets filled or it's too late.

A river can't sink a country you blithering idiot. Besides , there's a thing called the UN and sanctions. A stronger country just can't randomly go an attack a weaker country. It's the 21st century. If I became the prime minister and wanted to nuke the **** out of Saudi Arabia, I just can't go ahead and press the trigger because the world will retaliate.

Love the way you rebuke peeps :lol:
A river can't sink a country you blithering idiot. Besides , there's a thing called the UN and sanctions. A stronger country just can't randomly go an attack a weaker country. It's the 21st century. If I became the prime minister and wanted to nuke the **** out of Saudi Arabia, I just can't go ahead and press the trigger because the world will retaliate.

Any sanctions would have to be agreed upon by the UN security council, Russia and China would block any move against Egypt by any other member nation. The majority of the worlds powers have greater interests in Egypt and the ME than they do in Ethiopia and thus won't have a problem turning a blind eye especially when this is a matter of vital national security to Egypt.

Back
Top Bottom