What's new

Ethiopia diverts the Nile for Dh17bn dam, alarming countries downstream

I'm sure you wouldn't say that if the river was running from Iraq to your country,not vice versa.

My statement is clear. If we would have the oil and gas iraq has I really wouldn't mind as long as we have drinking water. The economic value of the river is then neglectable. The problem with Iraq is not that they don't have drinking water. The problem is that they don't have enough river flow to make it economical beneficial ( dam, irrigation).

My statement is clear. If we would have the oil and gas iraq has I really wouldn't mind as long as we have drinking water. The economic value of the river is then neglectable. The problem with Iraq is not that they don't have drinking water. The problem is that they don't have enough river flow to make it economical beneficial ( dam, irrigation).

Iraq does not want to use the rivers for dams and power generation, we have a few dams but nothing major.
Iraq only needs it for irrigation and drinking, problems are occuring for these 2, Iraq has to import its drinking water from other countries, these are the only 2 things that Iraq have problems with.

Btw, I do not know exactly how a dam works, but generating power, does the water not just flow to Iraq after going through the dam ?

How to deal with SU 27 with no BVR capability on the F16s ?

Misconception, Egyptian F-16s do have BVR capability just not the AIM-120, however, they do use the AIM-7. Mrage-2000 have BVR missiles with a range close to 100Km. Real question is how will Ethiopia know we are coming without EW systems and if their SU-27s are even operational. Most likely they will be targeted when all are on the ground.

OK, lets get down to business boys.

1)Egypt will not wave its colonial rights to the share of the Nile waters, With an ever growing population and a spiraling energy crisis Egypt needs the majority share of the water.

2)Egypt may tolerate an Ethiopian hydro dam but only if its colonial share is maintained. If the share is guaranteed (properly not just with words) there wont be hostility, (much) if its not then Ethiopia as a nation is in trouble.

3) As this is a defence forum lets get down to the nitty gritty: a) Egypt will not simply bomb a dam and leave. Egypt will actively bomb every vital piece of Ethiopian infrastructure possible and make sure Ethiopia is militarily handicapped by reducing its air force to nothing while its still on the ground.

b)How you ask. Well the renaissance dam is 3,551Km of road miles away from the center of Cairo. This means two things.
3)B)I) 1. That the Egyptian air force is definitely capable of launching a mission into Ethiopia from southern Egypt let alone from Sudan.

3)B)II) Egyptian fighters will need to refuel either on route or back towards Egypt (if they aren't carrying drop tanks). This may involve landing in Sudan or much more likely Saudi air tankers off the coast of Eritrea.

3)B)III)Some may now be wondering how Egypt will deal with the Ethiopian air force. The only real threat to Egyptian fighters would be the SU-27, the SU-23 (if its still running is obsolete) has no chance with an F-16 or a Mirage-2000. Now I challenge members to find me footage of more than 3 of these babies flying together. The Ethiopian military has no EW systems, no AWACS and no experience in air to air engagement whatsoever it also has no AWACS. Egyptian F-16s and Mirage-2000 fighters will have support from an EC-130H and a E-2 Hawkeye if required. Support will also come from Cairo as we have spy satellites with a resolution of 1m (not the best but hey its what we got). Now assuming that Ethiopia can maintain it SU-27 of which it has 18 (presuming they all fly out of the same base), Egypt wont seek a direct confrontation but do what the Israelis did to us in 67.

4) Ethiopia has old and obsolete air defence systems. F-16s tasked with SEAD armed with AGM-88 will slice through them like a knife through butter.

5) Some ask of American interference. I reply with: The Americans will not interfere with Egyptian national security issues just as Egypt doesn't interfere with American security matters in the region. Even if they do interfere Egypt will carry on (just ask the Chinese officials who took a trip to Egyptian F-16 bases :D ).

6) To the Ethiopian gentleman who thinks that events from over 100 years ago is in any way relevant or in any way shows some sort of Ethiopian supremacy, who are you trying to fool? because it looks like youre trying to convince yourself. This wont be an invasion nor will there be any ground troops (except special forces).

Any questions lads.
i have no doubt we can destroy the dam but i dont think this is the way to solve the problem we are sharing our water with them for ever there must be a political solution
and we must know how will the dam effect our water supply

i have no doubt we can destroy the dam but i dont think this is the way to solve the problem we are sharing our water with them for ever there must be a political solution
and we must know how will the dam effect our water supply
As I stated at the start we simply will not accept anything other than that stated in the colonial agreements and several officials have stated that also. If it can be proven that the dam will not reduce the amount of water we get then there will be no need for hostility. However if there isn't a guarantee, we will strike (the dam hasn't even been built yet) crippling Ethiopia and stopping them from trying to build a dam ever again.

Hey all,

as for all the questions about financing, China, Italy and Ethiopia have a history in dam building. China chipped in a billion for the power lines in this present project.

Misconception, Egyptian F-16s do have BVR capability just not the AIM-120, however, they do use the AIM-7. Mrage-2000 have BVR missiles with a range close to 100Km. Real question is how will Ethiopia know we are coming without EW systems and if their SU-27s are even operational. Most likely they will be targeted when all are on the ground.

The Ethiopian Air force has enough fighter jets including 20 SU 27 and upgraded Migs( upgraded in isreal ) with confirmed kills against Eritrea and Somalia... we destroyed their entire air force in one day. Not to mention the many air defense systems we have like SA6, Sa9 etc and many modern radars. Simply put Egyptian jets that enter our airspace will be easily shot down.

The Ethiopian Air force has enough fighter jets including 20 SU 27 and upgraded Migs( upgraded in isreal ) with confirmed kills against Eritrea and Somalia... we destroyed their entire air force in one day. Not to mention the many air defense systems we have like SA6, Sa9 etc and many modern radars. Simply put Egyptian jets that enter our airspace will be easily shot down.

WTF are you talking about? Egyptian airforce are more than capable of moping the ground with miserable weak Ethiopia back and forth 50 times. Check this out before talking:

Egyptian Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Ethiopian Air force has enough fighter jets including 20 SU 27 and upgraded Migs( upgraded in isreal ) with confirmed kills against Eritrea and Somalia...
I'm sorry but experience against two practically non existent air forces does not translate to being capable of withstanding a breach by a capable and modern force. This is not a matter of numbers but ability and equipment. Again, Ethiopia does not have EW systems nor AWACS this means two things.

1) Ethiopia cannot detect the presence of Egyptian fighters before they have entered Ethiopian airspace.

2) If Egyptian fighters are detected somehow and Ethiopian jets are scrambled Egyptian AWACS and ELINT aircraft can detect this and counteract this by providing electronic warfare capabilities (which Ethiopia lacks) which can ensure Egyptian air superiority.

I would also question Ethiopia's capability to maintain its own aircraft given its military budget and experience and that the Russians would never give such knowledge to a small buyer. The mig-21 is obsolete no matter how many upgrades you give it. Only useful for point defense. Again I challenge you to provide me footage of more than three SU-27s flying. You also lack combat readiness. Whens the last time you had a joint arms live fire exercise?

Not to mention the many air defense systems we have like SA6, Sa9 etc and many modern radars.
No actual sources or pictures confirm the presence of such systems in Ethiopia, but lets just say you did.

1)F-16s armed with AGM-88 on SEAD missions would take out any platform which even thinks of turning on its radar. Lack of IR or Television targeting systems leaves platforms nonoperational and useless.

2) Lack of an integrated all arms communication systems leaves all branches of your armed forces blind if an air defence platform engages the EAF.

3) Doubt you would have the capability to maintain or effectively use such systems especially as they are outdated and have not been upgraded.

4) Add to that over 40 years of Egyptian experience with these systems means that we know the capabilities of these systems and therefore know how to defeat them and evade them.

This is the only thing I got when I was looking for Ethiopian air defence photos

ZamalekSt-George.jpg

You're outclassed in every category mate.

Back
Top Bottom