What's new

Devyani Khobragade case: US to proceed with her prosecution, no question of apology, sources say

I watch CNN sometimes. Like you, also watching a lot of ESPN (as well as the NFL network) now that the NFL playoffs are in full swing :D

Cool. congrats that your team made it to the playoffs. I'm actually rooting for your next opponent next weekend as I would rather face saints than the 49ers.

I shed a tear this past Sunday, last week of red zone...that shit was my crack!

Btw...must say the eagles found a diamond in foles...and the D really picked up in nov! I'm rooting for them to go far...and I love chip Kelly's offence!

Which team or teams do you back?

Which team or teams do you back?

Arrrgh...this has been a bad year for my teams..

Giants and lions...both blew a fuse this year *sigh*

Chargers are my third team, at least they made it to the playoffs! I would have committed arson if the steelers had made it to the playoffs on sheer luck one more year!

Arrrgh...this has been a bad year for my teams..

Giants and lions...both blew a fuse this year *sigh*

Chargers are my third team, at least they made it to the playoffs! I would have committed arson if the steelers had made it to the playoffs on sheer luck one more year!

the lions are getting a new coach. They will be scary if they get a good coach. Look at what happened to 49ers.

It's not a very useful "immunity" since under the 1946 Convention governing U.N. personnel India is supposed to waive such immunity if it is being used to avoid the process of justice.

I believe the State department is desperately looking for a way to free the consul, official chest beating notwithstanding.

If the diplomatic corps of both countries are happy with the outcome, what does the UN care?

The only guy hopping mad will be Preet Bharara and the State department's dismissive response will be "too bad, so sad".

I can see some US diplomat being arrested and convicted in India in next few years.

This case will now put a leash in the neck of US diplomats across developing countries.

I believe the State department is desperately looking for a way to free the consul, official chest beating notwithstanding.
The consul has taken refuge in India's Permanent Mission, and I don't think the State Dept. is "desperately" looking for a way to free the consul from the legal fix she's in.

The only guy hopping mad will be Preet Bharara and the State department's dismissive response will be "too bad, so sad".
There's something most people don't seem to grasp here. Let me put it bluntly:

The chief prosecutor of the Southern District of New York outranks the State Department!

The Southern District of New York is special. It's the richest district in America's densest concentration of big businesses. This prosecutor is usually at the top of his profession and very well-connected academically, legally, and politically: that is, he recommends bright young lawyers to governors, presidents, etc. to serve as prosecutors, public counsels, etc. and experienced ones to serve as attorney generals, judges, even justices of the supreme court. It can be a powerful network. Such men have at times in the past moved on from CPSD to serve in the Cabinet or as Supreme Court Justices themselves. (ex: Cordell Hull, Felix Frankfurter)

U.S. law and international treaty gives the State Dept. very little leverage in this case. You think it might, because there are provisions in the Consular Convention that allow the receiving country some leeway in permitting "extra privileges". But in the U.S. most of that leeway is now determined by law and not subject to the whims of State Dept. officials.

So it's probably a waste of time for India to negotiate with the State Dept. since there doesn't appear to be anything State can do. India - or Khobragade, if India does the right thing and cuts her loose - will have to cut a deal with the prosecutor.

This case will now put a leash in the neck of US diplomats across developing countries.
A country that launches its own interplanetary probes, fields nuclear-tipped missiles, wields aircraft carriers, and has its own powerful multinationals should still be considered a "developing country"?

Last edited:
The consul has taken refuge in India's Permanent Mission, and I don't think the State Dept. is "desperately" looking for a way to free the consul from the legal fix she's in.

There's something most people don't seem to grasp here. Let me put it bluntly:

The chief prosecutor of the Southern District of New York outranks the State Department!

The Southern District of New York is special. It's the richest district in America's densest concentration of big businesses. This prosecutor is usually at the top of his profession and very well-connected academically, legally, and politically: that is, he recommends bright young lawyers to governors, presidents, etc. to serve as prosecutors, public counsels, etc. and experienced ones to serve as attorney generals, judges, even justices of the supreme court. It can be a powerful network. Such men have at times in the past moved on from CPSD to serve in the Cabinet or as Supreme Court Justices themselves. (ex: Cordell Hull, Felix Frankfurter)

U.S. law and international treaty gives the State Dept. very little leverage in this case. You think it might, because there are provisions in the Consular Convention that allow the receiving country some leeway in permitting "extra privileges". But in the U.S. most of that leeway is now determined by law and not subject to the whims of State Dept. officials.

So it's probably a waste of time for India to negotiate with the State Dept. since there doesn't appear to be anything State can do. India - or Khobragade, if India does the right thing and cuts her loose - will have to cut a deal with the prosecutor.

A country that launches its own interplanetary probes, fields nuclear-tipped missiles, wields aircraft carriers, and has its own powerful multinationals should still be considered a "developing country"?
Preet bakoda seems to have anti indian sentiments...(Khalistani)

the state dept. can do a lot of things if they want to. just that it would mean loss of face for US. :)

if they can stop Preet from arresting Russian Diplomats then they can do anything.

man we are developing country until we have our nominal GDP per capita at least 33% that of US.

man we are developing country until we have our nominal GDP per capita at least 33% that of US.
You can always choose to spend less money on space probes and more on enriching your people. So I don't think India should remain the in the devco ranks on the basis of this technicality.

if they can stop Preet from arresting Russian Diplomats then they can do anything.
The Russkies who were accused of fraud were not subject to arrest because their offense did not reach the "grave crime" international standard, whereas human trafficking does.

You can always choose to spend less money on space probes and more on enriching your people. So I don't think India should remain the in the devco ranks on the basis of this technicality.

Man please do not act like the british newspapers now.

2-3 billion on space programme are helping alleviate poverty and enriching people'e live by providing them technology at low costs.

infact there is need to give ISRO around 5 to 10 billion per year.

anyhow each of our CMs of our states have personal fortunes running into billions but hidden from public eyes.

the wealth that is going into corruption will be 1000 times more then ISRO budget. it will make a difference if we can save this corruption money and increase ISRO budget.

Last edited:

The Russkies who were accused of fraud were not subject to arrest because their offense did not reach the "grave crime" international standard, whereas human trafficking does.
Who cares about EARTH...we are going to MARS...
Will set the rules there...

the lions are getting a new coach. They will be scary if they get a good coach. Look at what happened to 49ers.

Apparently, Jon grudens bro is in the frontline for the job....lets hope it's a Michigan man and an offensive genius! We have to utilize those qb and wr weapons with a good playbook!

Back
Top Bottom