What's new

Devyani Khobragade case: US to proceed with her prosecution, no question of apology, sources say

What was his position? And what does Iranian and Saudi politics have to do with her case?

Then you are going to be very sad. Nothing will happen except bleating.

Oh yes that is why now US state dept stated that they cant arrest her ,but prosecute unlike to earlier arrogant statement about jailed her.IFS is a small diplomatic corps compared to any other diplomatic corps.So they are working on heavy load .If attack like this happens against them they will not tolerated.

They know how to play cards and news underpaying to Indian embassy is already come from US embassy.Let see US action .reciprocity can also ensure from Indian side.

What was his position? And what does Iranian and Saudi politics have to do with her case?

he was just a diplomat and no ambassador ....

all i'm trying to say is that you guys ignore international laws whenever it suits u and talk about preserving "international community and its laws" whenever its suits u again !!

She was already arrested and then bailed out. You must not know what had happened. Did you just woke up from a long sleep?

And that is whole problem started.Its US state dept stated they cant jailed diplomat even if she prosecute that what I mean .You must be in opium.

Okay,

what are you exactly trying to prove here?

US cant jailed her.And action taken by Indian govt against underpayment to Indian maids in the US embassy will cause long lasting widespread implication.US may also get complain from other developing countries ,for equal payments to their native maids.Even Pakistan can demand that.

he was just a diplomat and no ambassador ....

all i'm trying to say is that you guys ignore international laws whenever it suits u and talk about preserving "international community and its laws" whenever its suits u again !!
Yes....diplomat....what office....Embassy or a local consul...they are different. Most senior staff at an Embassy have full....at a consul....consular....this isn't rocket science. And again....how is a bilateral Iranian-Saudi issue at all relevant to what suits the US? And having been around during the 80's it is funny for an Iranian to talk about respect for Embassies or diplomatic conventions at all....you people know NOTHING of the conventions.

I know it's hard to accept...but in the US getting a BJ isn't illegal...

You had only one thing to say about all the comments made ...seems you have very little to say after all !

Getting BJ may not be illegal ...but using office of presidency to seduce young intern and sexually exploit her and then after all the overwhelming evidence ...to shamelessly say that I was 'serviced'

.....and to make crutches of legal jargon to escape from law ....and ultimately to lie under oath ....all these things don't augur well for the coveted Office of presidency of United states once occupied by likes of George Washington ,Abraham Lincoln and so on .....!!!

Don't go on defending act of Bill Clinton shamelessly ....
President of United states ...is not an ordinary person ...and should not act like an ordinary person !

Clinton tarnished that office ...

Anyway I don't expect that maturity and openness from you in accepting the truth !!!

She does not if she did we would not have applied to the UN for her status to be changed, there is many grey areas in this case and as it stands she can be charged unless we actually do something about it such as arrest a American or two on some fake charges.

She had temporary diplomatic immunity from June to December on account of her accredition as UN advisor to facilitatae PM manmohan singh's UN visit in september .This was about to expire in December ...and so to make a solid ground to prevent US judicial process against her ...and to give ' durable' immunity to her she was shifted to UN !

Good decision... let them proceed. She is not whiter than white either. Meanwhile the steps taken by Indian govt to withdraw additional privileges to US embassy staff should remain as it is & should only be rolled back if other side reciprocates with similar gesture!

She had temporary diplomatic immunity from June to December on account of her accredition as UN advisor to facilitatae PM manmohan singh's UN visit in september .This was about to expire in December ...and so to make a solid ground to prevent US judicial process against her ...and to give ' durable' immunity to her she was shifted to UN !

Problem is they are saying that because she was already arrested on this charge that even if the UN grant her that status the only action they can take is to send her back to India but if she were ever to return to the US again she can still face those charges. This would ruin her life and that of her partners who are settled in America I also heard the Pentagon are very worried about this case as they think it could result in affecting Indo-US defence ties so let's see how it pans out but I still think we should arrest a yank or 2 on some drug charges and use that to get her out that's what I would have done.

Problem is they are saying that because she was already arrested on this charge that even if the UN grant her that status the only action they can take is to send her back to India but if she were ever to return to the US again she can still face those charges. This would ruin her life and that of her partners who are settled in America I also heard the Pentagon are very worried about this case as they think it could result in affecting Indo-US defence ties so let's see how it pans out but I still think we should arrest a yank or 2 on some drug charges and use that to get her out that's what I would have done.

Not really ...

as long as she remains accredited to UN ...she will have diplomatic immunity ...her returning to US after visit to India for whatever reason does not abolish her immunity ...

Yes if she visits US when she is no longer accredited to UN ...she can be arrested ...

But then she is not stupid to do that ....

In any case ....she will be allowed to walk free ....

US can't touch her now ....

India can post her permanently to UN which can solve some of the problems ....

Her spouse can return to India or can locate to some other third country ....

The understanding reached between US and India is that US will proceed with prosecution on paper ...while will let go the diplomat on pre-text of her diplomatic immunity ....

That is my prediction, too.

Either in pre-trial negotiations, or in early stages of trial, the defence lawyer's case for immunity will be accepted, and the consul will walk free. Note that she already had "some" kind of immunity since August, so the only point of contention is whether the retention of maid services falls under that rubric. Given the fact that the maid was evidently issued a special passport, and not a normal Indian passport, there is wiggle room.

In return, India will silently drop the demand for an apology.

Then you are going to be very sad. Nothing will happen except bleating.

I see lots of that in this forum. If India arbitrarily arrest US diplomats. It will be a big news here and it will put press on US government to do something about the situation. Even someone as weak as Obama will do something.

Unfortun
I see lots of that in this forum. If India arbitrarily arrest US diplomats. It will be a big news here and it will put press on US government to do something about the situation. Even someone as weak as Obama will do something.
Unfortunately, International Diplomacy doesn't work that way.
It may easier for you to suggest and troll.. but after all we are talking about International Relations.. Its not like two kids slapping each other...

I watch CNN sometimes. Like you, also watching a lot of ESPN (as well as the NFL network) now that the NFL playoffs are in full swing :D

I shed a tear this past Sunday, last week of red zone...that shit was my crack!

Btw...must say the eagles found a diamond in foles...and the D really picked up in nov! I'm rooting for them to go far...and I love chip Kelly's offence!

Note that she already had "some" kind of immunity since August -
It's not a very useful "immunity" since under the 1946 Convention governing U.N. personnel India is supposed to waive such immunity if it is being used to avoid the process of justice.

I'm not sure what revenge the U.N. Secretariat will take if India remains foolishly stubborn by not waiving Khobragade's immunity. It might be nothing - but presumably the Secretariat doesn't want to encourage other countries to follow the same path. Or it could be restrictions and denials of services imposed upon India and Indian nationals worldwide at U.N. facilities. Or something else I can't think of.

Back
Top Bottom