What's new

Devyani Khobragade case: US to proceed with her prosecution, no question of apology, sources say

I agree .she made a mistake.she can be prosecuted by US authorities. Laws are equal to all individuals .In the case of international law ,that must be equal to all countries.So US individuals in
US embassy also must obey that laws.In that sense ,India can also prosecuted all law violators US embassy in India by both Indian law and International law.
I hope you will agree with that.

I certainly agree to that. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. That has been my position from day one. Diplomatic community is not an elite community that they get to break laws to avail of some special privileges.

You should go tell the Chinese how well Indians are doing? Its between Indians and Chinese when it comes to counting test score result. Americans do not focus as much on tests as test scores are not the only determining factor of getting into a good college.

Lol What can we said to Chinese, their embassy was also bombed and accepted money just like PAK. their is not No difference between PAK and Chinese because bother brother and therefore actions will be same.

Is she still in prison ?

I heard the Normal Prisons are filled with you know who ?

Surprised india has not mobilized the Aircraft carrier already, what is the point of the aircraft carrier if you can't bring her back from US soil

We are not PAK who do nothing to protect its citizen. We are capable to defend thats why US cannot attack india in 71 also.

I agree .she made a mistake.she can be prosecuted by US authorities. Laws are equal to all individuals .In the case of international law ,that must be equal to all countries.
I'm not sure that the U.S. has the option not to prosecute Khobragade. The evidence is damning and she doesn't possess a shred of immunity from prosecution. There may be no way anyone can stop the process, save a pre-emptive presidential pardon. Yet for Obama to pardon a slaver would be like Abe Lincoln burning Harriet Beecher Stowe! Obama is capable of many things, but I don't think he's capable of doing this.

Diplomatic community is not an elite community that they get to break laws to avail of some special privileges.
Actually, much of the time, it is. I have cause not to like it much. But a consul's immunity is limited, as is the immunity of members of Permanent Missions to the U.N. and U.N.-accredited diplomats.

Actually, much of the time, it is. I have cause not to like it much. But a consul's immunity is limited, as is the immunity of members of Permanent Missions to the U.N. and U.N.-accredited diplomats.

Should have been clear - Diplomats - unfortunately enjoys full immunity and that is the reason Neena Malhotra was able to run away to India after abusing a 17 year old maid. Devyani being a consular official enjoys immunity only in acts performed in official capacity.

If she has full immunity, the DA would not have arrested and charge her. You have trouble handling the truth that your diplomat has no immunity and she is being charged. And India better get the best lawyer for this upcoming trial.

She has full diplomatic immunity ....and US won't touch her ...

The stance that it will proceed with prosecution is face saver for US.

Both India and US have arrived at compromise ....India keeps diplomat and US keeps the case.

Hell with the most hypocrite country in the world ....!

If India is smart, they would retain the best lawyer for her by now.

Keep your advise to yourself....you may need to keep best lawyer in case you are victimized by US judicial system ....

Should have been clear - Diplomats - unfortunately enjoys full immunity and that is the reason Neena Malhotra was able to run away to India after abusing a 17 year old maid. Devyani being a consular official enjoys immunity only in acts performed in official capacity.

Devyani had full diplomatic immunity even at the time of her arrest having been accredited as UN advisor to facilitate PM MMS UN visit ....
She has full diplomatic immunity even now as UN diplomat ...

US will not be able to touch her ...

If US had intention to prosecute her ....they would have rejected UN accreditation out rightly ...which they have not and they won't ...!

Last edited:
She has full diplomatic immunity ....and US won't touch her ...

The stance that it will proceed with prosecution is face saver for US.

Both India and US have arrived at compromise ....India keeps diplomat and US keeps the case.

Hell with the most hypocrite country in the world ....!

Keep your advise to yourself....you may need to keep best lawyer in case you are victimized by US judicial system ....

She already have a lawyer.

Daniel Arshack, attorney for India's New York deputy consul general Devyani Khobragade, listens during an interview on Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2013 in New York. U.S. authorities subjected Khobragade to a strip search and DNA swabbing following her arrest on visa charges despite her "incessant assertions of immunity." The case has sparked widespread outrage in India and infuriated the government, which revoked privileges for U.S. diplomats to protest her treatment. Khobragade is accused of submitting false documents to obtain a work visa for her Manhattan housekeeper. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews) | View photo - Yahoo News

NY police department had already arrested her. And US has no need to compromise with India on local judicial matters. All she needs is a good lawyer to free her.

Well the biggest problem is that this diplomat did not even have immunity, and moving her to UN can't apply that immunity retrospectively, either. She broke the law in the US while she did not have immunity, and she will face prosecution just like any suspected criminals.

we shall see....
mark my words ....US has taken stance to proceed with prosecution for public consumption...
Behind the curtain US is working to find out middle way ....

The understanding reached between US and India is that US will proceed with prosecution on paper ...while will let go the diplomat on pre-text of her diplomatic immunity ....

Everybody knows that she has got lawyer ....
do you want me to give you laurels for disclosing that 'secret' news ???

US has and will compromise with India ....

Unlike you , US is not stupid enough to destroy its relationship with India on this petty ' non issue '

US has created mountain out of mole hill ...but now has difficulty in backtracking ...

If US withdrwars case it will be big loss of face for US ....so the compromise ...

US 'keeps' the 'case' ....India keeps the 'Diplomat '

we shall see....
mark my words ....US has taken stance to proceed with prosecution for public consumption...
Behind the curtain US is working to find out middle way ....

The understanding reached between US and India is that US will proceed with prosecution on paper ...while will let go the diplomat on pre-text of her diplomatic immunity ....

Everybody knows that she has got lawyer ....
do you want me to give you laurels for disclosing that 'secret' news ???

US has and will compromise with India ....

Unlike you , US is not stupid enough to destroy its relationship with India on this petty ' non issue '

US has created mountain out of mole hill ...but now has difficulty in backtracking ...

If US withdrwars case it will be big loss of face for US ....so the compromise ...

US 'keeps' the 'case' ....India keeps the 'Diplomat '

I don't think there are anything to compromise on. Either she win the case or she loses and it will be a local judicial matter.

I'm not sure that the U.S. has the option not to prosecute Khobragade. The evidence is damning and she doesn't possess a shred of immunity from prosecution. There may be no way anyone can stop the process, save a pre-emptive presidential pardon. Yet for Obama to pardon a slaver would be like Abe Lincoln burning Harriet Beecher Stowe! Obama is capable of many things, but I don't think he's capable of doing this.

Obama is the utter hypocrite ...just like many other Americans !

No wonder America is one of the most hypocrite country in the world ....

The same Obama who promised to close down Gauntanamo bay 'concentration camp' have now renounced his promise ....because simply there are no takers for his 'torture victims'

The same Obama who in senate voted against raising debt ceiling limit has been begging senate to support him now ....

so what else one can expect from Hypocrite Obama ?

anyway don't worry about hypocrite Obama ....

It will never come to that end ....

US 'in -justice' department will not be able to touch our diplomat due to her diplomatic immunity ! Period .

I don't think there are anything to compromise on. Either she win the case or she loses and it will be a local judicial matter.

Have some patience ...you will see ....she will neither win or lose

she simply will not have to go through the judicial rigmarole ...

case against her will be kept in suspension ...
and India will post her in some other country ....

Or will simply keep her with UN ....much to US heartburn ....!!!

Last edited:
Obama is the utter hypocrite ...just like any other American !
Sure sounds like racism to me. The sort of racism America exonerated itself of by pursuing civil rights for 50+ years and electing a "man of color" president who spent his childhood in Indonesia and Kenya.

The same Obama who promised to close down Gauntanamo bay 'concentration camp' have now renounced his promise ....because simply there are no takers for his 'torture victims'
Dumping the remaining Guantanamo inmates in the sea is not an option. For now they get to enjoy games, tropical sunshine, full stomachs, and the use of books at the expense of the U.S. taxpayer.

The same Obama who in senate voted against raising debt ceiling limit has been begging senate to support him now...
I never said Obama wasn't a hypocrite. I'm pointing out that your generalization that ALL Americans are is racism.

so what else one can expect from Hypocrite Obama ?
Some promises Obama keeps. He promised to send troops into Pakistan without Pakistani government permission and he kept that promised when U.S. SEALS nabbed OBL. He promised to set up nat'l heath insurance and did his poor best to bring it about.

Have some patience ...you will see ....she will neither win or lose
she simply will not have to go through the judicial rigmarole ...
case against her will be kept in suspension ...
and India will post her in some other country ....
That's only if India refuses to renounce her immunities, as called for by U.N. treaty.

I wonder what the Secretariat will do about that? Most likely, imo, it will recommend curtailing the privileges and activities of Indian diplomats world-wide. Whereas the most India can do is restrict the privileges and activities of U.S. diplomats within India itself.

Or will simply keep her with UN ....much to US heartburn ....!!!
She has to find a job at the U.N. for that. I wonder who will take her? Who will want to suffer the moral stain Khobragade brings to their organization? I'm guessing UNESCO is most likely. But UNICEF itself is a possibility: Khobragade as the "evil witch" used to scare the world's children into good behavior.

Sure sounds like racism to me. The sort of racism America exonerated itself of by pursuing civil rights for 50+ years and electing a "man of color" president who spent his childhood in Indonesia and Kenya.

I had amemded my post even before you pointed out ...it was mistake on my part ...and hence I changed wording from any other americans to many other americans .....
Here is my unqualified apology for that ...even though I had edited my post already !

It took US 400 years ...to elect coloured president !!!

and just by electing coloured president does not eliminate racism....
On that count India had elected lower caste person as president and minority person as president long time back....India can't just boast on just that count ...

Dumping the remaining Guantanamo inmates in the sea is not an option. For now they get to enjoy games, tropical sunshine, full stomachs, and the use of books at the expense of the U.S. taxpayer.

Well why not you go ahead to join this 'great' humanitarian facility to enjoy games, tropical sunshine, full stomachs, and the use of books at the expense of the U.S. taxpayer ???

I guess every country should have such proud achievement ...on flip side I wonder US should take lead to multiply increase many more such facilities contributing towards uplifting of mankind ...

US government should turn whole of America into Guantanamo bay on that account !

Last edited:
Some promises Obama keeps. He promised to send troops into Pakistan without Pakistani government permission and he kept that promised when U.S. SEALS nabbed OBL. He promised to set up nat'l heath insurance and did his poor best to bring it about.

Obama may have kept few promises ...that does not make him god !
As far going in Pakistan is concerned ...He broke number of International laws ...

US is today most powerful country in the world ...so it can do anything it deems right ....

But remember things change....things always change !

Today US occupies position that was once occupied by Great Britain ...tomorrow it will be some other country ....

Don't be arrogant less posterity will regret at your arrogance and laugh at your ignorance ....

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely ....
That's what has happened to US !

It has an arrogance of ruler ...
but remember history is testimony to this fact that Nothing lasts forever !

That's only if India refuses to renounce her immunities, as called for by U.N. treaty.

US demanded diplomatic immunity to Raymond Davis even when it did not exist ....

And you expect India to renounce diplomatic immunity our diplomat has ???

I wonder what the Secretariat will do about that? Most likely, imo, it will recommend curtailing the privileges and activities of Indian diplomats world-wide. Whereas the most India can do is restrict the privileges and activities of U.S. diplomats within India itself.

we don't care what secretariat thinks and does ....
we have played by International rules and will continue to do so ...

It is US which believes in trampling International, national , local rules whenever it suits its objectives ...because it has might to do so !

She has to find a job at the U.N. for that. I wonder who will take her? Who will want to suffer the moral stain Khobragade brings to their organization? I'm guessing UNESCO is most likely. But UNICEF itself is a possibility: Khobragade as the "evil witch" used to scare the world's children into good behavior.

Lol US had no moral strain in keeping President in office when he seduced and screwed his intern in office and openly accepted it. why UN which is not slave to US authority ....should have moral strain in keeping the diplomat who was merely accused of some wage issue ....???

Last edited:
Read the fine lines she was accreted in UN in Aug and be their till dec 2013. Unless you don't know what UN is , therefore you don't know what immunity is also and under what stances it kick in.moreover 80% of american don't have knowledge , they don't even know countries and their capital and expect them about UN fine lines .:)

To Average American "America = Planet Earth"

I am waiting for India to sever diplomatic relations with the US。

Back
Top Bottom