What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 181 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.0%

• Total voters
The biggest input is how much of the fleet will be undergoing the major refitment which aeromix illuded to. I have not heard anything amongst my former colleagues which is why i am doubting there is anything happening.
Imeant the body of the M3/5. What can we build and what do we need spares for. Same for engine parts.
A

Imeant the body of the M3/5. What can we build and what do we need spares for. Same for engine parts.
A
Simple answer would be no we can not build a frame from scratch nor the engine. Perhaps certain components but that would be it.

https://www.falcons.pk/photo/Dassault-Mirage-VEF-ROSE-III/1300

Photo-1300.jpg

Simple answer would be no we can not build a frame from scratch nor the engine. Perhaps certain components but that would be it.
Any ideas in general what we can rebuilt,/build? It seems to me aluminium parts/airframe should be doable althought the structural steel would have to be imported.
A

Last edited:
Any ideas in general what we can rebuilt,/build? It seems to me aluminium parts/airframe should be doable althought the structural steel would have to be imported.
A
PAC imported completed wings from Atlas; i had noted earlier - the structural alloys were with a newer composition that was from the cheetah program. Right now what i see is a hodgepodge mixture of a whole slew of array. In my simple opinion, there needs to be a smaller program to standardise of a set of structural frames from M3/M5. From ourside, the supply of alloy frames is no brainer as there are alum suppliers who smelt and prepare these not only for local use but also supply to Airbus as well as Boeing and other US defence consortiums (but we were still hit with tarriffs under TiT - MAGA program). The newer alloy is more resilient and lighter than the original french equipment.
The hydraulics and other systems on M3/5 are pretty straightfoward. From engine prespective, we had moved to Atar-9K and abandoned the 9C; it was too under powered as the Cheetah airframe had become a bit bulkier. Nevertheless if basic zero hour of the actual airframe can be done, you have a brand new plane; cost for a zero hour core airframe structure is around 900k USD (M3/5 - hybrid) + new wings. If you add it up; it is very insignificant cost to have a brand new plane.

I quote giora epstein who said mirage was his ultimate fighter which talked to him as one.

A great candidate for a long over due structural and systems upgrade.

PAC imported completed wings from Atlas; i had noted earlier - the structural alloys were with a newer composition that was from the cheetah program. Right now what i see is a hodgepodge mixture of a whole slew of array. In my simple opinion, there needs to be a smaller program to standardise of a set of structural frames from M3/M5. From ourside, the supply of alloy frames is no brainer as there are alum suppliers who smelt and prepare these not only for local use but also supply to Airbus as well as Boeing and other US defence consortiums (but we were still hit with tarriffs under TiT - MAGA program). The newer alloy is more resilient and lighter than the original french equipment.
The hydraulics and other systems on M3/5 are pretty straightfoward. From engine prespective, we had moved to Atar-9K and abandoned the 9C; it was too under powered as the Cheetah airframe had become a bit bulkier. Nevertheless if basic zero hour of the actual airframe can be done, you have a brand new plane; cost for a zero hour core airframe structure is around 900k USD (M3/5 - hybrid) + new wings. If you add it up; it is very insignificant cost to have a brand new plane.

I quote giora epstein who said mirage was his ultimate fighter which talked to him as one.

Not happening. The wise ones at PAF don't want to follow through with the mirage upgrade/remake like you suggested here, even if is very cost effective.

If Pakistan getting Mirage Horus then any upgrade is possible. May be Pakistan should arm it's Mirages with a decent Radar and AAMs to make it a true multi role fighter bomber as the are looking to remain there till 2030.

Atleast front canopy should be whole glass

Back
Top Bottom