What's new

Argentina chooses second hand Kfir over JF-17, Gripen.

They need to get a long range fighter in the Su-27/30/F-15 class to take the fight to the Falklands, the JF-17 doesn't really offer them much.

so you think you can criticize JF-17, how about Tejas offering to Argentina? You are obviously biased, dumb.

@C130 :

Yeah, you are right that the Argentines could not really hold onto the Falklands since the Argentines have no answer to the Astute SSNs and Type-45 destroyers that the UK currently possesses. Once the two aircraft carriers are in operation by the next decade, then even a full out [planned military build-up/attack effort by the Argentines to retake the Falklands will be doomed to failure.

But, if they had 24 JF-17s in the next few years, then they can take the Falklands but not hold onto them for longer than 1-2 months.

i haven't looked into falklands much, but just air power alone won't let them have a successful invasion like last time.

UK got I think 1,000 soldiers on the Island now. while the initial invasion of Argentine totaled 600.

they would need to double even triple that to hold the island.

i haven't looked into falklands much, but just air power alone won't let them have a successful invasion like last time.

UK got I think 1,000 soldiers on the Island now. while the initial invasion of Argentine totaled 600.

they would need to double even triple that to hold the island.

It is 500 soldiers currently in the Falklands.

The Argentines would need complete air-superiority over the Islands and would need to land waves after waves troops - thousands would be needed both via sea and air.

The UK would need at least 1-2 weeks before the first SSNs and destroyers arrive in the area and by this time the small garrison in the Falklands would have been defeated.

Hi,

To counter UK----Argetina needs a Hi and Lo mix. They simply cannot afford all heavies end---and they simply cannot have all light aircraft----. They also need an awacs type aircraft.

I doubt it that the UK air force could keep JF 17's a 150 miles away from the island----. The stand off weapons alone would take out the ground installation---plus the anti ship missiles launched from 150 miles away.

But with 50 JF 17 blk 2 and 3 aircraft-----they will just totally smash thru the air, ground and naval defences----.

In all----argentina would really need a 150 unit airforce to keep the island.

Hi,

I think the total package would be close to or around around 75-85 million per aircraft on average including the weapons package and training,
so Sir does that means if mayanmar order 18 JF's so by 80mil x 18=1.44 billion means if pak gets half of it so it'll make around 720 ,million for 18 JETS :O

Hi,

Argentina has made a very wise decision---with the avaiability of the funds they had---Kfir blk 60 package is a hell of an aircraft.

Pakistan should remember that not too many years ago----they made a similar decision---after looking at the Grippen for a couple of years---they went back to the F 16----.

By Pakistan not picking on the grippen did that mean that it was not a great aircraft----!!!!

And please allow me to add---the indians rejected one of the best aircraft during mrca---the F16 BLK 60 IN----then rejected the Grippen NG---then the F 18 super hornet got rejected----the Eurofighter got rejected---and then they finally rejected the Rafale that they picked up as a final selection after all that hoopla and drama----.

Well, i think the last part has got less to do with the technical nature and parameters of the jets, and more to do with the lack of foresight that the IAF or their MoD has.
Cannot blame the birds when the hunter is not up for the game.

so Sir does that means if mayanmar order 18 JF's so by 80mil x 18=1.44 billion means if pak gets half of it so it'll make around 720 ,million for 18 JETS :O

Hi,

No sir----. You have to keep in mind the cost of the manufacturing the aircraft and the cost of the weapons and the cost of training and other expenses----.

80 million---I think is on the high side---considering a European engine and electronics package and it still maybe packed a bit.

At this stage you are not looking for profit----you are looking to make deals to establish your product---so----profit may not be the target and goal now.

Plz remember----at net cost---after taking into account building manufacturing and paying all the labor costs ---we still come out ahead---because now our name is established with the sellers. That part is priceless.

Hi,

No sir----. You have to keep in mind the cost of the manufacturing the aircraft and the cost of the weapons and the cost of training and other expenses----.

80 million---I think is on the high side---considering a European engine and electronics package and it still maybe packed a bit.

At this stage you are not looking for profit----you are looking to make deals to establish your product---so----profit may not be the target and goal now.

Plz remember----at net cost---after taking into account building manufacturing and paying all the labor costs ---we still come out ahead---because now our name is established with the sellers. That part is priceless.
any rough analysis on how many countries are looking at JFT program and how many jets would be sold if we succeed to pull the deal with mayanmar and was the rumor Correct that SA purchased AK tanks and are going for 100 to 120 JFT's too ???

and 1 more thing doesn't matter how much profit we get from JFT sales but would that many would be used on future development of JFT only or it could be used for any other purposes as well ??

any rough analysis on how many countries are looking at JFT program and how many jets would be sold if we succeed to pull the deal with mayanmar and was the rumor Correct that SA purchased AK tanks and are going for 100 to 120 JFT's too ???

and 1 more thing doesn't matter how much profit we get from JFT sales but would that many would be used on future development of JFT only or it could be used for any other purposes as well ??

Hi,

I will only comment on what is out there----there are over 10 countries in contention. Remember---the aircraft being considered is not even operational yet---that is---the BLK 2---and secondly---the 2 seater is not ready yet.

With the blk 1---you can only do so much---. Almost all the buyers want to ride and drive the model they want to purchase and operate---. You are looking at something that you will operate for 25-30 years to come. So---basically---it is a momentuous decision---it is the most important purchase---and once you buy them---you cannot go backwards---.

You have to wait for the BLK 2 to be operational and well settled in---but then----selling fighter aircraft is not easy----the finest of the aircraft may not get orders----. There is a lot more to selling fighter aircraft---like what is it going to do for you---what is it going to face---and how will it face that opponent---and what kind of results would you expect rom it---.

So---here is something that you are buying that you really never want to use in your lifetime---but when you decide to use it---you want it to do the job that it needs to do.

The future development of JF 17 will not stop just like that----Paf has decided that it is 'the' aircraft that it wants in its inventory in large numbers---so even if there is no sale----the project will go on and all the changes and development will take pace as needed.

The first group of buyers will get this aircraft on a fastrak---the later ones---in due time.

kfir is no better then jf17 it is clearly the issue of money

Hi,

Argentina had to decide what it needed. The british destroyers are good---but not good enough for a salvo of antiship supersonic cruise missiles launched from around 150---250 kilometers away the CM 400 AKG or if it wanted the 802 or 803 for closer range----but then argentina decided that it did not want those anti ship missiles.

If they did not want that package---then they are fine with Kfir blk 60.

The bottom line is that Argentina was not sure what it wanted to do---what it wanted the aircraft to do----.

Jf17's total weapons package is monstrous---for its size of single engine aircraft.

Falklands is 300 miles from argentina----. Argentina's economic zone is 200 miles---it can still stay close to its economic zone and target the island with standoff weapons.

But---just the JF 17 alone was not enough for argentina unless 150 of them----it needed a complimentary awacs type aircraft and at least 1 / 2 dozen heavy aircraft with 2 to 3 sqdrn's of JF 17---.

I already mentioned it to you that Argentina is under pressure. The real trouble maker is Britain.

Israel will not sell these nearly 40 years old copies of
French Mirage III,rotting in storage and annoy the best
friend and allies like England and France for few million
Dollars.

It is 500 soldiers currently in the Falklands.

The Argentines would need complete air-superiority over the Islands and would need to land waves after waves troops - thousands would be needed both via sea and air.

The UK would need at least 1-2 weeks before the first SSNs and destroyers arrive in the area and by this time the small garrison in the Falklands would have been defeated.
Once the SSNs arrive there, the options will be limitless i.e. from wiping out Falklands to wiping out the main cities of Argentina.

When i click on article link in OP it says bad gateway.

The article reads, "The Chinese-built machines were of interest to".....well....amazing journalism

Back
Top Bottom