What's new

Argentina chooses second hand Kfir over JF-17, Gripen.

Argentina wanted air to sea missiles which China wasn't agree to provide. Not sure if Israel would be willing to offer them that?

In defensive role may Kafir block60 will be useful as having AESA radar and Mach2+ speed, however in case of A to A confrontations it's performance shall be questionable further short Combat radius of 768 Km almost half of JF17.
May be chances are that lobbying factor as well as UK influence can't be ignored.

the most advanced aircraft for argentina air force is A4AR. which is not a good aircraft, they should have bought jf 17.
kfir block 60 is not a good plane it doesnt even match to f16 block 10

I think the Falkland and UK issue would have actually made China to sleep on the proposed sales. Who knows.

Even China is willing to write off Argentina's loans? It is O.K for Britain if Israel sells Kfirs to Argentina but it is not O.K if China offers JFTs to Argentina.

Perhaps we should bring in DODO And HAL to fix the problem, better yet mount the LCA on its trailer and deliver it to the Argentines, get back in your box.
Ha! Ha! The truth about the 'Thunder' hurts, doesn't it? Looks like no one's interested in this wonder craft! :lol:

As in nail on his head?.
More likely yours! :P

Its a normal part of any selection procedure, some options have to be discarded in the favour of others and that's just the way it goes. Even the F-16, arguably the most successful jet plane ever has had a fair share of failed bids but that does not mean that there was any problem as such but simply that:

1. There were better options available.
2. It did not meet the service requirement of the AF it was being pitched to.

The same has been the case with the Thunder.

Even China is willing to write off Argentina's loans? It is O.K for Britain if Israel sells Kfirs to Argentina but it is not O.K if China offers JFTs to Argentina.

If I remember correctly when the Argentinians ordered Israeli Daggers (Israeli Mirage Vs) only 20 were announced but in reality 30 plus were delivered. Something the British intelligence failed to notice until the Falklands war.

I am not sure if the Israelis and Argentinians can pull of a similar stunt from British intelligence.

Last edited:
Ha! Ha! The truth about the 'Thunder' hurts, doesn't it? Looks like no one's interested in this wonder craft! :lol:

Well obviously, its a first attempt at breaking into a very competitive market, if you thought that they were going to sell like cakes then I am afraid you have absolutely no idea about how defence acquisitions work, what's important to note here is that the aircraft is at least flying.

Defense news is not very accurate. They spread millions of negative news abt China , pakistan. Like the Thailand S-20 submarine deal is going on and some rubbish western agency spread fake news of Thailand drop the deal. Only for the Thai authorities to re confirm the deal.

But the numbers can br reduced drastically too if its su 30 . With 30 mil a piece wonder how yoy came up with 130 million bill .Lots lesser than your quote which could be around 60-80 millions which me be the same cost of JF17 with weopons . Because the production cost ofsukois are less

Hi,

Wiki reports the SU30 costs in 2007 to be around 40 million a piece---so they would be around 50---60 millions----now add the weapons package and electronics of choice and training and support and your are at 100-130 million +++.

Now talk about the daily operating cost----what is it now---20000-30000dollars per hour and then to top it off---50% dow time-----.

Who are we to talk about someone else's money problems? Maybe it doesn't fit their requirement. Could be financial or could be strategic. How can we say?

They need to get a long range fighter in the Su-27/30/F-15 class to take the fight to the Falklands, the JF-17 doesn't really offer them much.

Hi,

The cost of the JF 17 will be much much higher than the 25 million dollars per plane---you have to count in the weapons---training etc etc etc---which might come close to 75 million a plane all packages included---or maybe 100 million a pop.
Is this a joke?

More likely yours! :P

If you have a comeback to make at least make it properly.

Hi,

The cost of the JF 17 will be much much higher than the 25 million dollars per plane---you have to count in the weapons---training etc etc etc---which might come close to 75 million a plane all packages included---or maybe 100 million a pop.
i bet yr post is 1 billion $ exaggeration.

Back
Top Bottom