What's new

Argentina is considering procurement of JF-17 fighter jets: Argentine Embassy in China. Argentine defence minister and ambassador to China discuss

some shameless characters might do that to compensate for lack of their soccer skills :enjoy:

still the Pakistani, North Korean and Myanmar economies are waiting for revival :D

They can buy things a little bit more useful than a 3rd rate combat aircraft
Let Argentina buy tejas!!!

But Just a little problem.

Americans do not sell engines.
British do not sell ejection seats.
Israel will not sell radar.

We still suggest leaving Tejas in India.

Argentina is considering procurement of JF-17 fighter jets: Argentine Embassy in China
Global Times
By Liu Xuanzun
Published: Mar 15, 2023 10:36 PM

A JF-17 fighter jet attached to the Pakistan Air Force flies towards the designated airspace during an air-to-ground offensive operation drill conducted by two Chinese JH-7 fighter bombers and two Pakistani JF-17 fighter jets on Sept. 20, 2017, which is part of the Shaheen VI  joint training exercise launched by the air forces of China and Pakistan on Sept. 8 and scheduled to conclude on Sept. 27, 2017. Photo: eng.chinamil.com.cn

A JF-17 fighter jet attached to the Pakistan Air Force flies towards the designated airspace during an air-to-ground offensive operation drill conducted by two Chinese JH-7 fighter bombers and two Pakistani JF-17 fighter jets on Sept. 20, 2017, which is part of the "Shaheen VI " joint training exercise launched by the air forces of China and Pakistan on Sept. 8 and scheduled to conclude on Sept. 27, 2017. Photo: eng.chinamil.com.cn

The Argentine Embassy in China said on Tuesday that the South American country is considering procuring the JF-17 aircraft, with Chinese analysts saying on Wednesday that the fighter jet jointly developed by China and Pakistan is the best choice for Argentina in terms of performance and availability.

Argentine Ambassador to China Sabino Vaca Narvaja recently held a work meeting with Argentine Defense Minister Jorge Taiana and his team in Buenos Aires to promote cooperation with China in the field of national defense, the embassy said in a social media post on Weibo on Tuesday.

During the Airshow China 2022 held in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province, Narvaja spoke with representatives from the China National Aero-Technology International Engineering Corp about the possibility of Argentina procuring the third-generation JF-17 aircraft jointly developed by China and the Pakistan Air Force, the embassy said.

Other defense cooperation with China includes the possible procurement of 8x8 armored vehicles from Chinese arms firm NORINCO, according to the post.

Fu Qianshao, a Chinese military aviation expert, told the Global Times on Wednesday that Argentina has long been seeking to procure new fighter jets to replace its aging and shrinking warplane fleet, but because of the issue of the Malvinas Islands, the UK has blocked Argentina's aircraft procurement attempts on the international market.

The UK can lobby Western countries not to sell through diplomatic means, and it can also deter countries like South Korea and India, because their fighter jets use UK parts, including ejection seats, Fu said.

China's position on the issue of the Malvinas Islands is consistent, and China firmly supports Argentina's legitimate claim to exercise full sovereignty over the Malvinas Islands, the Chinese Foreign Ministry and the Chinese Embassy in the UK stated last year.

That is why the JF-17 is the most available fighter jet to Argentina, Fu said.

According to public information, the JF-17 has developed into three generations, often referred to as the Block 1, the Block 2 and the Block 3.

The Block 3 is equipped with very advanced systems including an active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, a combination of China's top beyond-visual-range and short-range missiles, as well as avionics and flight control systems. The previous blocks are less costly but still perform well, analysts said.

But any deal depends on Argentina's decision, Fu said.

I think Argentina should buy the JF-17. It is good quality in its class and is reliable.

With 100% inflation in Argentina, I think this is a seriously stupid decision. They should worry about their economy rather than buying any fancy jets.

and if fully imported and india assembled Tejas was in the race would your comment be the same?

There was news (unverified) last week that the UK threatened Argentina with consequences if they buy JF-17s.

I mean how could things get any WORSE in Argentina? Consequences?

I am all ears....

They have homeless sleeping in Argentina's main airport of all places. Inflation is out of control.

But it has a western tech in it e.g. ejection seat and EW etc etc

The Italian radar (Grifo?) and Martin Baker ejection seats are optional.

Last edited:
You will need 50 - 60 container, that alone will cost you around 40000 just that one way, and 590 is very cheap probably last minute rate, I don't know why Mearsk is offering that amount, it usually around 1000+ per container, and then as you said unless you sell those container when they arrived, you have to ship it back to the original destination, that's double that price, and then you don't just pay those fee and it's done, you still need to pay custom clearing on both end (Which may be waived in this case), that's around $200 per container and any storage fee you have on port authority. And then the container alone cost you money, IIRC it cost around $2or $3 a day to hire one and around $3000-$10000 if you buy one.

My family have company in China, and we ship a lot of iron/steel product overseas, it used to cost us around US$5000 per 40 ft container end to end to the US.
I checked for a shipment October 1, 2023.
Calculating with $600 is probably incorrect.
If the government wants to buy fighters and pay with soy beans, then the cost of producing the the soy beans must be taken into account.
Unless the government wants to enter the soy bean business, they will only get a small fraction, which is the tax on the profit.
Assume production cost is 50% and they have a 30$ tax, then they get 600*0,5*0,3 = $90 per ton, so they need to ship 11,000 ton to earn one million, or around 400 containers. (I do not know real production cost/tax).

I checked for a shipment October 1, 2023.
Calculating with $600 is probably incorrect.
If the government wants to buy fighters and pay with soy beans, then the cost of producing the the soy beans must be taken into account.
Unless the government wants to enter the soy bean business, they will only get a small fraction, which is the tax on the profit.
Assume production cost is 50% and they have a 30$ tax, then they get 600*0,5*0,3 = $90 per ton, so they need to ship 11,000 ton to earn one million, or around 400 containers. (I do not know real production cost/tax).
Well, I think the production cost is going to be Argentina side to bear.

But anyway, unless I am really shipping soybean to China, I wouldn't go into deep discussion with that topic, I would just say the shipping cost alone would probably make this deal counter productive for China.

Again, shipping 1 soccer star is only $10,000 for a first class ticket, this work out better than any farm product.

It is a bad deal for China to use JF-17 fighter jets to exchange footballers from Argentina:

1. The value of the aircraft and the players. The JF-17 is a relatively inexpensive aircraft, costing around $25 million per unit. Argentine soccer players, on the other hand, can command much higher salaries. For example, Lionel Messi earns an annual salary of over $30 million. This means that China would need to trade off a significant number of planes to get Argentina's top footballers. Then China has to pay a lot of money for them for the next few years..

2. The strategic value of the aircraft and the players. The JF-17 is a multirole fighter aircraft that can be used for a variety of missions, including air-to-air combat, air-to-ground strikes, and reconnaissance. Argentine soccer players, on the other hand, are only valuable for their ability to play soccer. This means that the JF-17 has a much higher strategic value than any individual soccer player.

3, It sets a bad precedent. If China adopts this method, in the future, it is possible that other countries will make a request to exchange their football players or athletes for Chinese weapons
Let me save you some time.

It's a bad deal all around. As I said, if you want to trade JF-17 with oil, gas, wheat, soybean, copper, football player or what have you, you better off just give that to Argentina and write off the whole thing.

Let me save you some time.

It's a bad deal all around. As I said, if you want to trade JF-17 with oil, gas, wheat, soybean, copper, football player or what have you, you better off just give that to Argentina and write off the whole thing.
You're funny and silly as hell. How about one football player for 3 JF-17? Messi alone could buy 3 JF-17's for his country. Some of his teammates could buy a few more. Now that's a workable idea. 8-)

Back
Top Bottom