What's new

Arabic Coffee shop

Thanks for the explanation bro, yup I do understand the concept of oneness of God is found in many verses in Quran, but what I mean in my previous post is that the word Tawhid itself is not found in Quran. Quran always say Ahad and Wahid to explain about His oneness. He never use Tawhid as a word to explain about His Oneness.

I also do understand about the meaning of Tawhid as a term in Islam, but what I want to ask is the real meaning of the word in Arabic. For example the word Tawhid can mean to unify if it is used as a verb. So I just want to know the real meaning of the word in Arabic ? And why Arab scholars uses this word as a term to explain the concept of oneness of God in Islam ? Is it because it is found in 2 hadith that you mentioned which are actually not a strong hadith ? When this term is universally used to explain the oneness concept of God ?

As example the meaning of word tawhid in these sentence below is to unify (or to unite) and unification (I use Arab -Indonesian translation). In Indonesia to unify means menyatukan and unification means penggabungan.

الاعداء الذين أفشلو توحيد الارض كان يستخدمهم

ألا وهو توحيد بلدنا العظيم هذا عن طريق السكك

https://www.almaany.com/id/dict/ar-id/توحيد‎/

This is from Wikipedia.

Tawhid (Arabic: توحيد‎ tawḥīd, meaning "unification or oneness of God"; also romanized as tawheed, touheed,Tauheed or tevhid[5]) is the indivisible oneness concept of monotheism in islam.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawhid

I ask this question because I sometimes have debate with Christian in Youtube channel.

Remember that Arabic has different forms depending on the context in which it's used. A word can have many different meanings depending on the context. There are 11 words for love alone to give you an example.

توحيد (Tawhid) (masculine verb) is the verbal noun of وحد (Wahhada), which can mean to unify, to connect, to combine, to profess the unity of, oneness, regularization and in Islamic theology the profession of or belief in the unify of God (monotheism) in other words what the word tawhid describes.

Ahad/Wahad has the same meaning which is "one" in Porto-Semitic. It also means a number (one) in Arabic and as an adjective it means single, unique, incomparable, a certain etc.

When you read the Qur'an, you should not have a single doubt about what the two words refer to. Allah (swt). Tawhid is, in other words, an umbrella word, for the profession of our belief as Muslims in 1 single God (Allah, swt) and his unique abilities, without taking any partners, unlike the Christians who distorted the original monotheistic message of Christianity and Prophet Isa (AS) for the reasons that I mentioned (Roman pagan influences at the time of the adaptation of Christianity as the state religion of the Roman Empire - google Constantine the Great and the First Council of Nicaea, bro).

Lastly, may I refer to the 2 videos that I posted of Sheikh Saleh al-Fazwan. He explains more in his lecture during those 45 minutes about Tawhid and how it should be understood in the Islamic context (Islamic theology).

I hope this helps.

----------------------------

Next page.

One of the coolest new Arab youtubers out there. Visiting various Arab countries and eating local cuisine etc.

See previous page for many more of his fantastic videos.

Last edited:
Remember that Arabic has different forms depending on the context in which it's used. A word can have many different meanings depending on the context. There are 11 words for love alone to give you an example.

توحيد (Tawhid) (masculine verb) is the verbal noun of وحد (Wahhada), which can mean to unify, to connect, to combine, to profess the unity of, oneness, regularization and in Islamic theology the profession of or belief in the unify of God (monotheism) in other words what the word tawhid describes.

Ahad/Wahad has the same meaning which is "one" in Porto-Semitic. It also means a number (one) in Arabic and as an adjective it means single, unique, incomparable, a certain etc.

When you read the Qur'an, you should not have a single doubt about what the two words refer to. Allah (swt). Tawhid is, in other words, an umbrella word, for the profession of our belief as Muslims in 1 single God (Allah, swt) and his unique abilities, without taking any partners, unlike the Christians who distorted the original monotheistic message of Christianity and Prophet Isa (AS) for the reasons that I mentioned (Roman pagan influences at the time of the adaptation of Christianity as the state religion of the Roman Empire - google Constantine the Great and the First Council of Nicaea, bro).

Lastly, may I refer to the 2 videos that I posted of Sheikh Saleh al-Fazwan. He explains more in his lecture during those 45 minutes about Tawhid and how it should be understood in the Islamic context (Islamic theology).

I hope this helps.

----------------------------

Next page.

One of the coolest new Arab youtubers out there. Visiting various Arab countries and eating local cuisine etc.

See previous page for many more of his fantastic videos.

OK Thanks for the explanation and the videos bro, I may ask you again next time particularly the one which is related to Arabic. :)

@ArabianEmpires&Caliphates

In a recent wedding that I attended of a Saudi-Arabian woman, I discovered through their explanation that they specifically (not all Saudis of course) were part of a tribe that does not allow marriage outside of the tribe itself. Do you know more about this, of course it has nothing to do with Islam as it limits the choice of marriage to members of its own tribe, they're not bedouins either.

Is it widespread?

@ArabianEmpires&Caliphates

In a recent wedding that I attended of a Saudi-Arabian woman, I discovered through their explanation that they specifically (not all Saudis of course) were part of a tribe that does not allow marriage outside of the tribe itself. Do you know more about this, of course it has nothing to do with Islam as it limits the choice of marriage to members of its own tribe, they're not bedouins either.

Is it widespread?

It is quite rare nowadays. Still practiced by some people though. I would say less than 10%. Even less. Such logic (to keep wealth in the wider family, clan, tribe, chauvinism) is a remnant of old practiceses that were common all across the Arab and Muslim world to varying degrees. You can find similar practiceses in Iraq although a small minority as well.

Also the size of tribes and clans differ. Some are huge while others are smaller.

You can think about it as some kind of aristocracy/nobility/snubbish behavior. Some of those are more prestigious than others or have more influence. Some people will simply refuse to marry people from the many historical regions of KSA, cities, towns, villages etc.

Most youth (2/3 of the population) are below 30 years and 75-80% live in urban areas nowadays and not rural areas anymore, so such practices are dying already. However this is the negative side of tribe/clan influence. Which also translates to local Arabs rarely marrying non-Arab (origins) Saudi Arabians and non-Arabs although both occur as well at an increasing rate in the cities. Hijaz for instance is very cosmopolitan and you have nationals with origins from Nigeria to Indonesia, from Bosnia to Dagestan to South Asia and the entire Arab world and Muslim world. Probably not a more diverse region anywhere in the Muslim world.

All the above is mostly about women who have greater difficulty on this front for obvious reasons (Arab paternal tradition and culture with identity passing through the father - for example people born to Saudi Arabian mothers but non-Saudi Arabian fathers/non-GCC do not have full citizenship but something similar like in most Arab countries).

BTW she could be from the South and Southern Hijaz as well. In those mountanious regions they are more traditional and prefer not to mix with other Saudi Arabians.

Out of curiosity do you know where she was from in KSA (I suspect Al-Qassim) and which tribe/clan she belongs to? Also was that weeding in Denmark because the Saudi Arabian community is rather small centered around Copenhagen and Aarhus.

Also lastly each region of KSA, clan and tribe have their own traditional wedding ceremonies. So difficult to talk about a Saudi Arabian wedding as such other than what unites them all.

:lol:

Last edited:
It is quite rare nowadays. Still practiced by some people though. I would say less than 10%. Even less. Such logic (to keep wealth in the wider family, clan, tribe, chauvinism) is a remnant of old practiceses that were common all across the Arab and Muslim world to varying degrees. You can find similar practiceses in Iraq although a small minority as well.

Also the size of tribes and clans differ. Some are huge while others are smaller.

You can think about it as some kind of aristocracy/nobility/snubbish behavior. Some of those are more prestigious than others or have more influence. Some people will simply refuse to marry people from the many historical regions of KSA, cities, towns, villages etc.

Most youth (2/3 of the population) are below 30 years and 75-80% live in urban areas nowadays and not rural areas anymore, so such practices are dying already. However this is the negative side of tribe/clan influence. Which also translates to local Arabs rarely marrying non-Arab (origins) Saudi Arabians and non-Arabs although both occur as well at an increasing rate in the cities. Hijaz for instance is very cosmopolitan and you have nationals with origins from Nigeria to Indonesia, from Bosnia to Dagestan to South Asia and the entire Arab world and Muslim world. Probably not a more diverse region anywhere in the Muslim world.

All the above is mostly about women who have greater difficulty on this front for obvious reasons (Arab paternal tradition and culture with identity passing through the father - for example people born to Saudi Arabian mothers but non-Saudi Arabian fathers/non-GCC do not have full citizenship but something similar like in most Arab countries).

BTW she could be from the South and Southern Hijaz as well. In those mountanious regions they are more traditional and prefer not to mix with other Saudi Arabians.

Out of curiosity do you know where she was from in KSA (I suspect Al-Qassim) and which tribe/clan she belongs to? Also was that weeding in Denmark because the Saudi Arabian community is rather small centered around Copenhagen and Aarhus.

Also lastly each region of KSA, clan and tribe have their own traditional wedding ceremonies. So difficult to talk about a Saudi Arabian wedding as such other than what unites them all.

It surprised me to hear such a level of restriction. Although she disagreed with it, it obviously comes from the parents, grand-parents (older generation) and will die off in due time.

Not sure where she is from and such details, I do know part of the family lives in Dammam but whether that is their origin is unknown to me. I can't ask given the distant connection. It was in Denmark and was a mixed wedding, disagreed upon by the rest of the family as the husband was non-Arab and non-Muslim, although she was not so keen on Islam either. But let me not draw the wrong image, they were no party people either, calm, respectful and mature but abandoned those traditions. I personally do not agree with such mixing and find it sad when it occurs, but it, of course, is not my place to say about people I barely know.

Also met Yemenis lately in the Netherlands, I must say I like how traditional they are, great people.

For me myself personally I could not be with a non-Arab or I would have to Arabize her, the level of nationalism is too high.

It surprised me to hear such a level of restriction. Although she disagreed with it, it obviously comes from the parents, grand-parents (older generation) and will die off in due time.

Not sure where she is from and such details, I do know part of the family lives in Dammam but whether that is their origin is unknown to me. I can't ask given the distant connection. It was in Denmark and was a mixed wedding, disagreed upon by the rest of the family as the husband was non-Arab and non-Muslim, although she was not so keen on Islam either. But let me not draw the wrong image, they were no party people either, calm, respectful and mature but abandoned those traditions. I personally do not agree with such mixing and find it sad when it occurs, but it, of course, is not my place to say about people I barely know.

Also met Yemenis lately in the Netherlands, I must say I like how traditional they are, great people.

Not so familiar with the Eastern Province. If I knew her clan or tribe I could tell more. Dammam is a cosmopolitan city though due to the oil, gas and petrochemical sector. People from all over the country live there so she could have origins from practically everywhere. My experience is that local Easterners/Hasawis etc. are not restrictive other than some Shias who might prefer to marry likeminded people. Local and non-local marriages (Saudis not native to the region) are not such rare from what I know though.

Interesting. Well, I won’t judge and not my business who people marry with other than family which I can influence but not decide for either.

Surprised to see how many Saudi-Iraqi connections I encounter online and in person. Also met Iraqis in Denmark with an ancestral/family connection not long ago and vice versa in KSA. Mostly Najd, Hijaz and Eastern province. Across secterian backgrounds. For instance most Iraqi Shia Arabs from Southern Iraq (let alone Iraqi Sunni Arabs from every corner of Iraq) have partial ancestral ties to KSA that are fairly recent (3-8 generations = some 250 years) let alone the many older migrations both ways. Some kind of Semitic highway since the Akkadians.:lol:

We even have an example of the above on small PDF in the form of @Malik Alashter . Not seen him for a while. Hopefully he is well.

Yes, Yemenis are great people. Many people from Southern KSA, South Hijaz and Southern Najd have some ancestral ties to Yemen as have many people in the GCC and also in Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Palestine, Lebanon etc. Very old migrations that long predate Islam.

Reminds me of how silly the borders are in the Mashriq. Should have been 1 big and powerful federal nation from Yemen to Syria as envisioned 100+ years ago with joint access to all 4 seas. Would have been great honestly.

For me myself personally I could not be with a non-Arab or I would have to Arabize her, the level of nationalism is too high.

The last sentence killed me. Just saw it.:lol:

BTW you should try Yemeni cuisine. It is really great and quite unique.

Many similar dishes in KSA.

This woman has 141 videos. Many of those dishes are shared between KSA and Yemen although in KSA cuisine depends on the region to a large degree.

https://m.youtube.com/user/ShebaYemeniFood

Anyway got to hit the bed. Nice talking as usual after some 1.5 months. Just a shame that almost all Arab users left. Little fun left. Anyway little time for PDF nowadays.

Last edited:

:lol:

My family usually marry with some particular tribes/families in GCC /Morroco and Egypt.
I remember that it was easier before than today.

Great year for Arab football. Qatar champions of Asia and Algeria champions of Africa. Saudi Arabian Al-Hilal Asian Champions league champions and Tunisian Esperance, African Champions League winners.

Total dominance in Asia and Africa.

Tomorrow Al-Hilal and Esperance will play against each other in the FIFA Club World Cup.

Back
Top Bottom