What's new

Arabic Coffee shop

So it went from pasha muhandis too Pash muhendis to bash-muhendis.
No, no... Baş yane Bash means head so it is head of the engineers.
I know a lot common things, it is beautiful :)

Maybe get out with them on the boat for a day, that would be a blast.
I wish but I neither have time nor opportunity. It was nice talk to you, thanks for the photos :)

No, no... Baş yane Bash means head so it is head of the engineers.

That's exactly what I said, lol. 'Basha' comes from the Turkish word Pascha which as you said means head or more appropriately a high-ranking officer or leader or "head" of state. When we Egyptians combined it with 'Mohandis' (engineer), 'Bash' was the short version of Basha which is the Arabic version of Pascha since we don't have the letter P in the Arabic alphabet. So instead of BashaMohandis, we cut it short and say BashMohandis. It's a respectful title given to anyone who is considered a person of note or high level and commonly used with anyone deserving of a respectful reference and not necessarily an engineer. I figured you would know it came from your Turkish word Pascha! :D And you're gonna tell an Egyptian what an Egyptian saying means? Com'ooon maaaan! lol.

So in anticipation of the start of Ramadan coming up in about 5 days and on the subject of Arabic on an Arabic Coffee Shop thread, here's a most popular classic Egyptian song welcoming Ramadan. Anyone who's from our region and lived through Ramadan in any Arab country is most certainly familiar with this beauty by Mohammad Abdelmotaleb. Bring back any memories @Falcon29 ?

Ramadan Gaana

That's exactly what I said, lol. 'Basha' comes from the Turkish word Pascha which as you said means head or more appropriately a high-ranking officer or leader or "head" of state. When we Egyptians combined it with 'Mohandis' (engineer), 'Bash' was the short version of Basha which is the Arabic version of Pascha since we don't have the letter P in the Arabic alphabet. So instead of BashaMohandis, we cut it short and say BashMohandis. It's a respectful title given to anyone who is considered a person of note or high level and commonly used with anyone deserving of a respectful reference and not necessarily an engineer. I figured you would know it came from your Turkish word Pascha! :D And you're gonna tell an Egyptian what an Egyptian saying means? Com'ooon maaaan! lol.

So in anticipation of the start of Ramadan coming up in about 5 days and on the subject of Arabic on an Arabic Coffee Shop thread, here's a most popular classic Egyptian song welcoming Ramadan. Anyone who's from our region and lived through Ramadan in any Arab country is most certainly familiar with this beauty by Mohammad Abdelmotaleb. Bring back any memories @Falcon29 ?

Ramadan Gaana

Man to be honest I am too young and don't think I've been exposed to the Ramadam theme , lol. It almost sounded familiar in the beginning but I think I just remember some other similar theme songs from Tuyoor Al Jannah as a kid. :D

Anyhow you excited for Ramadan? It is going to be rather long and tedious where I live, but Ramadan is always a fun and exciting month. Community always enjoy it too. You have something to look forward to and have opportunity to repent. It feels nice. :D

Now I'm thinking if I should start cutting on coffee early or just go in cold turkey, how are you approaching it?

That's exactly what I said, lol. 'Basha' comes from the Turkish word Pascha which as you said means head or more appropriately a high-ranking officer or leader or "head" of state.
I am not sure, bro. There are so many theories regarding the word and what it exactly means...

Ramadan mabrouk already!

Man to be honest I am too young and don't think I've been exposed to the Ramadam theme , lol. It almost sounded familiar in the beginning but I think I just remember some other similar theme songs from Tuyoor Al Jannah as a kid. :D

Anyhow you excited for Ramadan? It is going to be rather long and tedious where I live, but Ramadan is always a fun and exciting month. Community always enjoy it too. You have something to look forward to and have opportunity to repent. It feels nice. :D

Now I'm thinking if I should start cutting on coffee early or just go in cold turkey, how are you approaching it?

I keep forgetting you guys are a bit, just a little bit :D younger than me. A lot of this is oldschool stuff but it's still being played till this day. The new stuff is mostly junk to this old-timer. :D

Not being able to have my 2 cups of coffee in the morning is the toughest part. So I have one at suhur just to make up for it.

It's getting better each year now as it starts 9 or 10 days earlier than the year before as it approaches winter instead of having it during the brutal heat of summer.

I am not sure, bro. There are so many theories regarding the word and what it exactly means...

Ramadan mabrouk already!

What do you mean? What word, Pascha? There's no theories of meanings or anything about BashMohandis. That's very clear lol. We used to play football in the streets and whoever would score a goal we'd all go up to him "ya m3alem ya bashmohandis"! Someone would do something good and his parents would be proud of him and his relatives would refer to him as "aywa, el ostaz da bashmohandis." Someone would open the door for you and you would say "shokran gedan ya Bashmondis etc.

Where is @Saif al-Arab, Fahed for real? This villager from Anatolia misses him. It's never fun to fight, debate, disagree with you people... :(

Fahed for real?

"Fahed"? Did you mean "fe'nho? فين هو or هو فين ? In the Sham they would pronounce is "We'nho" or
وين هو

Fanous Ramadan.

Ramadan-Fanoos-2.jpg

ramadanlamps.jpg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom