What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

i didn't know in our time we can fire a rockets from cannon :o: , so it will make mortars useless you are absolutely right :)
In my opinion they will not make mortars obsolete especially short range mortars because many rockets have to fly a long distance before they can come down to hit their target whereas mortars can also hit close range targets. Mortars are also very cheap to produce and they can be transported easily.

i didn't know in our time we can fire a rocket from cannon :o: , so it will make mortars useless you are absolutely right :)
Israel has LAHAT, and as I've said, I'm expecting a gun-launched version of Mızrak-U. There's a good chance that it might happen.

@Kamil_baku This is what you've been looking for :)
ACV-15_SPM_120mm_self-propelled_mortar_carrier_armoured_vehicle_FNSS_Turkey_Turkish_defence_industry_military_technology_640.jpg

@Kaan
Most of the stuf Israel does is impractical outside Israel, their needs are much different from the rest of the world. Because they have very little manpower and very little territory to defend.

Merkava, Namer... nobody in the world needs sh*t like this.

Last edited:
The mortar is located inside the turret so if the turret moves to the right than the mortar goes to the right.

I believe that the altay should have a mortar aswell.

Useless ... why not use your M113s or other APCs for SP Mortar systems? thats what PA is also looking at...

Useless ... why not use your M113s or other APCs for SP Mortar systems? thats what PA is also looking at...
2 in 1.

But I want to see what 500 has to say.

Israel has LAHAT, and as I've said, I'm expecting a gun-launched version of Mızrak-U. There's a good chance that it might happen.

ACV-15_SPM_120mm_self-propelled_mortar_carrier_armoured_vehicle_FNSS_Turkey_Turkish_defence_industry_military_technology_640.jpg

@Kaan
Most of the stuf Israel does is impractical outside Israel, their needs are much different from the rest of the world. Because they have very little manpower and very little territory to defend.

Yes they have special needs but they have some interesting ideas.

What does the altay have that other tanks dont have? What sets it apart from the competition?

@Kaan
it's easy for you to turn your m113 to these mortars but turkmenistan have 170 BTR-70 - 543 BTR-60s, 40 BTR-80 , 538 BMP-1s and BMP-2s , BRDM-2 30 we will need those mortar in altay :agree:

2 in 1.

But I want to see what 500 has to say.
:enjoy:

it's easy for you to turn your m113 to these mortars but turkmenistan have 170 BTR-70 - 543 BTR-60s, 40 BTR-80 , 538 BMP-1s and BMP-2s , BRDM-2 30 we will need those mortar in altay
That's not an M113, that's an ACV300 :) Do you have BMDs in Turkmenistan? We can sell you some ACV300s :) It would be much more practical than putting a 60mm mortar in ALTAY.
What does the altay have that other tanks dont have? What sets it apart from the competition?
Slightly lower profile than Leopard2, tougher composite frontal armor. Boron carbide is a harder material than ceramics or depleted uranium. Leopard2 and Abrams' main composite materials respectively. ;)

But what I wanna know is if Altay is going to have an ammo rack that is seperated with blast doors, and I wanna know if the turret is going to be all-around composite. I wanna know that so badly I can pay money to the guy who gives me that information :D

With current specs it beats Leopard 2, I wanna know if it beats Abrams aswell :) Those two conditions I stated above, are Abrams' attributes ;)

Last edited:
How is that not practical?
Why distract the tank crew?
They will never need a mortar for self-protection. Also, If I'm not mistaken mortar rounds are drop-sensitive and can be a safety hazard inside the tank, also the mortar itself can be a weakspot on the armor. Israelis are not concerned with that. Merkava practically doesn't have any armor on it's back :D Huge weak spot that can easily be abused with a well placed RPG-7

@Kaan

Thanks bro, exactly!! Also, Azerbaijan mounted these mortars on trucks. Thats also another option. Nowadays, the enemy also can find
it's easy for you to turn your m113 to these mortars but turkmenistan have 170 BTR-70 - 543 BTR-60s, 40 BTR-80 , 538 BMP-1s and BMP-2s , BRDM-2 30 we will need those mortar in altay :agree:

:enjoy:
check out this video,
Azerbaijan use trucks for mortars. that also will be easy to install for you. Also, you might want some FIrtina, that will be the game changer)

So when it Turkey unveiling the final version of Altay tank with final specifications?

Altay will transform Turkish land forces

The FTR shape of turret used on real firing trials are more or less similar lines with first design image of Altay and I expect to see a similar design on P1 and P2 as well.

attachment.php

There won't be a prototype like P3... P1 and P2 would be near-end tanks which is going to be used for qualifications...

2-1.jpg

2017 for mass production !!!

3-1.jpg
@AUz
By 2015 the final prototype will have completed qualifications. From 2014-2017 work on preparation for serial production will commence. In 2017 the 1st Altay will be built in serial production.

@AUz
By 2015 the final prototype will have completed qualifications. From 2014-2017 work on preparation for serial production will commence. In 2017 the 1st Altay will be built in serial production.

Dang..thats a long time still...

Wouldn't such late induction defeat the purpose? I mean, by 2017, other countries will be shifting to a whole new generation of tanks.

I'd like to see Altay's specifications though....Turkey is probably building a tank like never seen before

Dang..thats a long time still...

Wouldn't such late induction defeat the purpose? I mean, by 2017, other countries will be shifting to a whole new generation of tanks.

I'd like to see Altay's specifications though....Turkey is probably building a tank like never seen before
Well the first batch of 250 tanks will be produced in the present specs. But the rest 3 batches will be built and modified for the future needs eventually. And I, personally do not expect a game changing changes in the next generation tanks unless they start to use laser guns or something. Let's wait what Russians will bring with T-99.

Back
Top Bottom