What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

The US updated a portion of its C-5s to C-5M and retired the rest.
They keep ordering C-17s (equvilent of A400M).
A C-17 can transport 1 MBT.
Does anybody know the tech specs of that YouTube tank?
Can it safely cross a bridge, won't damage urban roads, can it with stand a hit from RPG-29?
Thanks.
C-17 equvilent of A400M?!? C-17's payload capacity is 170,900 lb (77,519 kg) while A400M's only 37,000 kg (81,600 lb) , A400m can not carry a MBT.

Last edited:
C-17 equvilent of A400M?!? C-17's payload capacity is 170,900 lb (77,519 kg) while A400M's only 37,000 kg (81,600 lb) , A400m can not carry a MBT.

I didn't know the difference was that much.
Sorry.
So basically C-130 > A400 > C-17 > C-5 payload.
I should have just looked at the engines ones turboprops other turbofan.
Some countries were trying to decide whether to purchase the A400 or C-17 a year ago so I just assumed they were relatively similar in payload.
So that leaves us with trucks, (trains), navy for transportation of the Altays.
The flown in APCs etc would have to bare the brunt till the MBTs are brought up.

We need a flying MBT!

Last edited:
I dont think we should build the tank around the A400m. Either we should buy a larger transport aircraft or just completely forget the idea of a flying mbt. I think a few light tanks are. sufficient. The good thing is this new development with the arma. We now have a light platform with lot of firepower(105mm).

Why exactly ?

Idk we don't really need it unless we are invading countries. But it wouldn't hurt to have that capability.;)

Idk we don't really need it unless we are invading countries. But it wouldn't hurt to have that capability.;)

Yes, the point is not investing something that we don't really need. I mean having an AC, would be a multiplier to our Airforce...... the question: Do we really need an AC..... answer is: no.

So, why should we invest in something that we don't need ?

Yes, the point is not investing something that we don't really need. I mean having an AC, would be a multiplier to our Airforce...... the question: Do we really need an AC..... answer is: no.

So, why should we invest in something that we don't need ?
AC as in aircraft carrier?
If thats the case i dont think we need an aircraft carrier. It is actually a waste of money in my opinion. That money could have gone into either more frigates or subs. But i guess the navy knows better. We have to.learn these ship building skills some day.

Last edited:
I also feel uneasy about the turrent design.

Honestly, for quite a long time I have been thinking that Altay is not going to be very successful, but nevertheless it will boost our experience greatly and further stuff will be better.

I also feel uneasy about the turrent design.

Honestly, for quite a long time I have been thinking that Altay is not going to be very successful, but nevertheless it will boost our experience greatly and further stuff will be better.

Maybe turret's shape will take a different form (more sharper angles) after applying it's chobnam armour ?

All the piccs I see are same, it will soon start serial production and they still didn't even applied armor ?

Anyway, I feel like Altay is going to be a heavy, expensive kind of tank, I think that was a mistake as well(if its true), we cannot compete such class tanks, what we need is modern, moderate kind of tanks, ready for mass production without ruining one's economy, we wanted we could develop of a more advanced tank after that.

All the piccs I see are same, it will soon start serial production and they still didn't even applied armor ?

Anyway, I feel like Altay is going to be a heavy, expensive kind of tank, I think that was a mistake as well(if its true), we cannot compete such class tanks, what we need is modern, moderate kind of tanks, ready for mass production without ruining one's economy, we wanted we could develop of a more advanced tank after that.
From what i could tell there were slight turret design differences in the 2 prototypes that are out right now. My question is this. When will we see the 2 other prototypes? We were promised 4 in total.

Last edited:
I dont think we should build the tank around the A400m. Either we should buy a larger transport aircraft or just completely forget the idea of a flying mbt. I think a few light tanks are. sufficient. The good thing is this new development with the arma. We now have a light platform with lot of firepower(105mm).

Yes, we don't have any aim like invading a country but that doesn't mean we will not need to attack enemy soil to defeat that enem's army... So as you said, for sure we should have this capability any time ready for this kind of a possibility ... :tup:

Is there a war starting? Why the rush?
I don't want some shitty 'moderate' tank just so I can say look I got my tanks ready.
I understand what your saying about the experience but it's ok we got this.
The Altay looks solid.

What rush ? its them who say they will start serial production next year, but appearently there isn't even a pic with armor applied on Altay, its them who is rushing.

As I said we could always develop a more advanced tank with the experience wi got, our main aim in these projects is self sufficience, thats why I think first aim should have been a modern but moderate, not much expensive tank, ready for mass production even at times when we have economical problems.

Sorry, as i told i am not good at technical infos... What about replacing our old crap M-48s and other small & light tanks with indigenous light tanks ?

Here some inventory unit numbers... They are currently old craps and in big numers...

Modern equipment of the Turkish Land Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No , there are only 750+ M48A5T2 in use and they will replaced with Altay MBT.

Back
Top Bottom