What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

So will the TSK only have the Sabras, Leo 2 NGS, and Altays? That makes less than 2000 tanks.

I also think that we should do an armor uprgrade for the Leo 1's to supplement the Volkan Fire Control System. That would give us alot more tanks

This is a canadian upgrade for the leo 1

800px-Leopard_C2_Canadian_Forces.jpg

There is no need for an Upgrade of Leo1 if you can get new Tulpar´s or something like that for cheaper and you will get new ones.

Leo2A4 of TAF will not upgraded , Leo2NG is more an Technology demonstration and Test System for the new Fire Control System of Altay.

There is too no need of 2000´s Tanks in the 21th Century.

Most EU countries have jack all or no MBTs.
I understand when you look back and see things like,
The era of the gun on a fighter is over - Vietnam.
The era of mass warfare is over - Korea.
The next war will be a nuclear war - countless low tech proxy wars.

Better to be safe then sorry...
But let's keep the tank numbers relatively balanced as a mass land battle is not that likely and the day of the tank looks numbered (urban warfare).
Now I sound like them...

Alot of the M60's are still in service but I don't think they are using those as the armies primary tank rather they are being used to deal with terrorism or other low level threats.

Yes M-60Ts are still in service as you can see from the pictures of the Syrian border.
The bathtub hull is better against IED's, EFP's.

No M-48s are in service. There are some M-60s in other variants going around (basic upgrades, not as heavily upgraded as the T variant).

The M60´s will replaced with Altay´s !

If we need a Light Tank we can get this easily :

m8_buford.jpg

But i think there is no need.

Sorry, as i told i am not good at technical infos... What about replacing our old crap M-48s and other small & light tanks with indigenous light tanks ?

Here some inventory unit numbers... They are currently old craps and in big numers...

Modern equipment of the Turkish Land Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Sorry, as i told i am not good at technical infos... What about replacing our old crap M-48s and other small & light tanks with indigenous light tanks ?

Here some inventory unit numbers... They are currently old craps and in big numers...

I personally like this concept:

800px-Wiesel_1_TOW.jpg

800px-W2_santrp.PNG

Wiesel_2008-08-Fritzlar_634_800.jpg

wiessel1oioioi9.jpg

Wiesel AWC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe something like that ??? 8-)

Sure i'm not talking about purchasing from these countries... I mean indigenous light tanks like these examples... Actually after all these improvements it's so stupid to talk about purchasing directly from foreign countries rather then talking about producing it indigenous...

If SSM starts a project ' Indigenous Light Tank ' without any doubt it will be %100 indigenous with engine etc...

The M-48s are not in service. They are in storage, kulanilmiyor.
The M-48 Tamay is a recovery vehicle. It recovers other tanks.
They are very expensive.

We don't need light tanks. I'm actually surprised that there are 'light tanks' on the market. You sure it's not a battle taxi with a 100mm gun like the Stryker?
APCs, IFVs can fight and carry soldiers (very useful in modern warfare).
They are small, fast and can be modified into anything from a C2 to a 100 mm.
You just need good protection. Install an active armor system and bobs your uncle.

They are very expensive.

We don't need light tanks. I'm actually surprised that there are 'light tanks' on the market. You sure it's not a battle taxi with a 100mm gun like the Stryker?
You just need good protection. Install an active armor system and bobs your uncle.
But light tanks do have an armour advantage and mobility advantage over a wheeled stryker type vehicle mounted with 105mm gun. I would go with a light tank that is able to fit in a c130. I think it would offer alot of benefits.

They are very expensive.

Yeah maybe you are right but i think this picture is so important for mobility of our tanks... Can we drop ALTAY or other MBTs from A400-M like this ? This Aircraft sends this tank to battlefield without needing any landing field... If yes then ok, i will also say light tanks are not needed... Can we send our MBTs to battlefield in a very short time with our A400-Ms like this >

C-130_airdrop.jpg

Yeah maybe you are right but i think this picture is so important for mobility of our tanks... Can we drop ALTAY or other MBTs from A400-M like this ? If yes then ok, i will also say light tanks are not needed... Can we send our MBTs to battlefield in a very short time with our A400-Ms like this >

C-130_airdrop.jpg
Altay will not fit in this type of medium sized transport aircraft. You need the C5 galaxy to do that.

Lockheed C-5 Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M1_Abrams_loaded_on_a_C-5_Galaxy.jpg

images

tumblr_mjb23lwZBT1s7fhu2o1_1280.jpg

So we can send so many light tanks in a short time and in safer conditions to the battlefield with this style with A400-Ms... Maybe it's economic also...

C-130_airdrop.jpg
I think we should aquire a small amount of light tanks for our airborne troops and to be used on LHD. Other than that I think our military doesn't need them considering that we already have cobra for recon, and now that @revojam posted the new development of the arma we have a light platform that has a 105mm gun.

The US updated a portion of its C-5s to C-5M and retired the rest.
They keep ordering C-17s (equvilent of A400M).
A C-17 can transport 1 MBT.
Does anybody know the tech specs of that YouTube tank?
Can it safely cross a bridge, won't damage urban roads, can it with stand a hit from RPG-29?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom