What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Japan Deal Scrapped, Turkey Looking for Tank Engine | Defense News | defensenews.com

ANKARATurkey’s months-long negotiations with Japan’s Mitsubishi Heavy Industries for joint development and production of an engine for the Altay, a planned indigenous Turkish tank, have failed largely due to the Japanese government’s near total ban on arms exports.

Turkey’s procurement and industry officials had been in talks with Mitsubishi since last year to co-produce an engine to power the Altay, a new generation main battle tank being developed by Turkish armored vehicles manufacturer Otokar.

“Such a deal has gone off our agenda,” Murad Bayar, Turkey’s chief procurement official. “We have agreed with Japanese officials to focus on other areas of cooperation [in defense].”

Japan, which renounced the right to wage war in its postwar constitution, effectively banned arms exports in 1967. Under new guidelines being developed by Japan’s government, exports would be approved by the Trade Ministry if they were judged to serve peaceful missions or if joint development of a weapon was deemed to enhance national security.

Talks with Japan for an engine for the Altay broke down because of Turkish intentions to export the indigenous tank and Japan’s reluctance to license the joint engine, a senior Turkish procurement official said.

A Japanese diplomatic source declined to comment. One Turkish industry source dealing with Mitsubishi confirmed that the deal was off the agenda.

The procurement official said Turkey would seek new options to develop the engine with foreign know-how.

“New ideas will emerge quickly, we hope. This is going to be a promising, large market when you think of the indigenous tank program,” he said.

Turkey plans to initially build a batch of 250 tanks, with scores of follow-on orders.

Since the mid-1990s, Turkey has been looking for a suitable engine for the Altay. In 2008, Japan announced that it would manufacture its own tank — and an engine to power it — to protect its homeland against a North Korean invasion.

If it went ahead, the Turkish-Japanese plan would have marked an historic departure from Turkey’s traditional engine supplier, MTU of Germany. Sources say the Germans have been reluctant to share critical engine technology and also have been skeptical about any potential future export licenses for the Altay.

Last edited:
Japan Deal Scrapped, Turkey Looking for Tank Engine | Defense News | defensenews.com

ANKARATurkey’s months-long negotiations with Japan’s Mitsubishi Heavy Industries for joint development and production of an engine for the Altay, a planned indigenous Turkish tank, have failed largely due to the Japanese government’s near total ban on arms exports.

Turkey’s procurement and industry officials had been in talks with Mitsubishi since last year to co-produce an engine to power the Altay, a new generation main battle tank being developed by Turkish armored vehicles manufacturer Otokar.

“Such a deal has gone off our agenda,” Murad Bayar, Turkey’s chief procurement official. “We have agreed with Japanese officials to focus on other areas of cooperation [in defense].”

Japan, which renounced the right to wage war in its postwar constitution, effectively banned arms exports in 1967. Under new guidelines being developed by Japan’s government, exports would be approved by the Trade Ministry if they were judged to serve peaceful missions or if joint development of a weapon was deemed to enhance national security.

Talks with Japan for an engine for the Altay broke down because of Turkish intentions to export the indigenous tank and Japan’s reluctance to license the joint engine, a senior Turkish procurement official said.

A Japanese diplomatic source declined to comment. One Turkish industry source dealing with Mitsubishi confirmed that the deal was off the agenda.

The procurement official said Turkey would seek new options to develop the engine with foreign know-how.

“New ideas will emerge quickly, we hope. This is going to be a promising, large market when you think of the indigenous tank program,” he said.

Turkey plans to initially build a batch of 250 tanks, with scores of follow-on orders.

Since the mid-1990s, Turkey has been looking for a suitable engine for the Altay. In 2008, Japan announced that it would manufacture its own tank — and an engine to power it — to protect its homeland against a North Korean invasion.

If it went ahead, the Turkish-Japanese plan would have marked an historic departure from Turkey’s traditional engine supplier, MTU of Germany. Sources say the Germans have been reluctant to share critical engine technology and also have been skeptical about any potential future export licenses for the Altay.

**** the Japanese. Those slaves of the Americans.

How about China? :D

But West will get butt hurt over it.

Turkish Army has no M-48s in service all are in storage only the M-60T's are in service.
They are heavily upgraded and are ok till the Altays take over and it becomes Leo's/Altays only.

Turkish Army has no M-48s in service all are in storage only the M-60T's are in service.
They are heavily upgraded and are ok till the Altays take over and it becomes Leo's/Altays only.
Alot of the M60's are still in service but I don't think they are using those as the armies primary tank rather they are being used to deal with terrorism or other low level threats.

Guys i think SSM will start LIGHT TANK PROJECT after ALTAY MBT and i think that FNSS's Light Tank Project with Indonesia will also be worked for our army...

What do you think ?

Guys i think SSM will start LIGHT TANK PROJECT after ALTAY MBT and i think that FNSS's Light Tank Project with Indonesia will also be worked for our army...

What do you think ?

Maybe ,but there is too an Otokar Arma 8x8 with 105mm Gun from Cockerill for an Air Capability Vehicle.

But maybe FNSS Pars or Otokar Tulpar will do this mission.

But i think they already choose this Vehicle for this multi Tasks:

http://www.fnss.com.tr/content/docs/kaplan-tr.pdf

What do you think ?
Idk what about the Arma having 105mm gun? If they develope a tank for the military will it be amphibious? Like the soviet PT 76?

Maybe ,but there is too an Otokar Arma 8x8 with 105mm Gun from Cockerill for an Air Capability Vehicle.

But maybe FNSS Pars or Otokar Tulpar will do this mission.

But i think they already choose this Vehicle for this multi Tasks:

http://www.fnss.com.tr/content/docs/kaplan-tr.pdf

I don't know technically but can we replace old M-60s with future Light Tank Project ? Is this technically logical ?

I don't know technically but can we replace old M-60s with future Light Tank Project ? Is this technically logical ?
Yes tracked vehicles offer better protection and mobility than wheeled so I think it is possible.

Idk what about the Arma having 105mm gun? If they develope a tank for the military will it be amphibious? Like the soviet PT 76?

I think we need quick light tanks... When we look our country's circle we see that there is both clash & war possibilities...

For clashs light tanks are so good and for war possibility light tank are also good and also helpful for MBTs on the battlefield...

Also sure it would be much better if they would be amphibic...

I think we need quick light tanks... When we look our country's circle we see that there is both clash & war possibilities...

For clashs light tanks are so good and for war possibility light tank are also good and also helpful for MBTs on the battlefield...

Also sure it would be much better if they would be amphibic...

M551 Sheridan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C-130_airdrop.jpg

Our A-400Ms can do this job... 8-)

This kind of a move would be so good for our army's mobility...
We can also have some light tanks on our LHD. That would give our expeditionary forces significantly more firepower than if they only had IFV's or APC's.

Last edited:

The M60´s will replaced with Altay´s !

If we need a Light Tank we can get this easily :

m8_buford.jpg

But i think there is no need.

So will the TSK only have the Sabras, Leo 2 NGS, and Altays? That makes less than 2000 tanks.

I also think that we should do an armor uprgrade for the Leo 1's to supplement the Volkan Fire Control System. That would give us alot more tanks

This is a canadian upgrade for the leo 1

800px-Leopard_C2_Canadian_Forces.jpg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom