What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

They wanted to go with a Japanese motor but it didn't workout due to japans retarded export laws. From what I understand they are looking at the indigenous motor as of now.

@Targon may have more info.

So the Japs have strict export laws?

I remember when Australia was begging the US to allow purchase of the F-22 Raptors.
They kept on trying for ages.
Congress shut it down every time.

Ye Japanese engines have alien tech in them bro. They don't want to share.
Stuff them then we can go with the MTU for the initial batches then our 1800 HP beast.
Heard our engine is petrol and diesel?
Never heard or seen a mix engine.
Is this true?

Will petrol give it more power?
Is it safe?

I remember when Australia was begging the US to allow purchase of the F-22 Raptors.

Stuff them then we can go with the MTU for the initial batches then our 1800 HP beast.
Is this true?

Is it safe?
There are mixed engines. (Multi fuel engines) many tanks use them such as the Arjun and T-64.

Is this true?

Is it safe?

Its because of their pacifist doctrine, and strict ban on arms exports.

Is this true?

Is it safe?
The Honeywell AGT1500 is a gas turbine engine. It is the main powerplant of the M1 Abrams series of tanks. The engine was originally designed and produced by the Lycoming Turbine Engine Division in the Stratford Army Engine Plant. In 1995, production was moved to the Anniston Army Depot in Anniston, Alabama after the Stratford Army Engine Plant was shut down.

Engine output peaks at 1,500 hp (1,120 kW), with 2,750 lb-ft (3,754 N-m) of torque at that peak. The engine can use a variety of fuels, including jet fuel, gasoline, diesel and Marine Diesel

Didn't know thanks.
Much benefits? Vs diesel?
One common use of this technology is in the drive of M35 2½-ton cargo truck military vehicles, so that they may run a wide range of alternative fuels such as gasoline or aviation (gas turbine) fuel. This is seen as desirable in a military setting as enemy action or unit isolation may limit the available fuel supply, and conversely enemy fuel sources, or civilian sources, may become available for usage.[3]

Currently a wide range of Russian military vehicles employ multifuel engines, such as the T-72 tank (multifuel diesel) and the T-80 (multifuel gas turbine).

So how many M48 Variants and M60 Turkey plan to phase out once production of Altay MBT starts.

Currently I see this information...

M46A5T1 : 619
M48A5T2 : 758
M60A1 : 104
M60A3 : 753
Well i dont have much knowledge but as far as i know is that its planned to produce 1000 piece of the first variant of Altay, maybe they will produce a ''Altay 2'' later, but thats long term planning of course.

And secondly there is still the Leopard 2 NG project, so Altay's and Leo's will replace the old tanks together not only Altay.

So how many M48 Variants and M60 Turkey plan to phase out once production of Altay MBT starts.

Currently I see this information...

M46A5T1 : 619
M48A5T2 : 758
M60A1 : 104
M60A3 : 753
M46? dude your information is ancient, go update yourself

all M46s are retired, more than 1500 M48 tanks also retired we have another 1500. 750 of them are in M48A5T2 standard, others are used for training and some of them are used as stationary pill boxes in remote outposts.

M60 variants and Leopard1 variants will stay in order but all remaining 1500 M48 variants will be retired
Leopard 2A4s will get NG upgrade, and 120mm L55 guns

There's a possibility for 250+ of the leopard 1s and M60A3s to receive 120mm L44 Leopard 2 guns

And ALTAY will be produced in four batches (4x250 tanks)

M46? dude your information is ancient, go update yourself

all M46s are retired, more than 1500 M48 tanks also retired we have another 1500. 750 of them are in M48A5T2 standard, others are used for training and some of them are used as stationary pill boxes in remote outposts.

M60 variants and Leopard1 variants will stay in order but all remaining 1500 M48 variants will be retired
Leopard 2A4s will get NG upgrade, and 120mm L55 guns

There's a possibility for 250+ of the leopard 1s and M60A3s to receive 120mm L44 Leopard 2 guns

And ALTAY will be produced in four batches (4x250 tanks)

Yes my mistake I meant M48 varants no 46 typo.

I read somewhere some 300 Leos will be upgraded to NG standards. Is Turkey planning to get more from German stocks?

I read somewhere some 300 Leos will be upgraded to NG standards. Is Turkey planning to get more from German stocks?
We would, if Germany had any :D

Altay, Leo's and the M60T will do just fine. I don't think Turkey will procure more Leo's. The Cold War is long over don't need 5000 tanks in operation.
A lot of countries are slowly getting rid of there MBTs and buying into APCs, IFVs.

Is it decided that Leos will get ng upgrade ?

I have to agree that having thousands of tanks is waste, 500-1000 modern tanks would do just fine for us, but of course have to be supported by larger amount of advanced IFVs and APCs.

Back
Top Bottom