What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Upgraded Altays, Leo 2-1's and the Sabra is sufficient I believe. The m48' should just be donated to someone.

Is it decided that Leos will get ng upgrade ?

I have to agree that having thousands of tanks is waste, 500-1000 modern tanks would do just fine for us, but of course have to be supported by larger amount of advanced IFVs and APCs.
The decision will take place as soon as the army gets familiar with Altay I think...
A lot of countries are slowly getting rid of there MBTs and buying into APCs, IFVs.
Who's spreading this garbage?
MBTs are still the optimum mix of firepower, mobility and armor and they're not losing their place in the doctrines.
Upgraded Altays, Leo 2-1's and the Sabra is sufficient I believe. The m48' should just be donated to someone.
We should keep them in working order, if Azerbaijan or Turkmenistan decides to buy ALTAY from us, we can donate M48s along as training tanks

Short Documentaries of Tanks used by The Turkish Army.
(These are old ours obviously have upgrades.)

Leopard 2

Leopard 1

M60 Tank

Last edited:
Altay, Leo's and the M60T will do just fine. I don't think Turkey will procure more Leo's. The Cold War is long over don't need 5000 tanks in operation.
A lot of countries are slowly getting rid of there MBTs and buying into APCs, IFVs.
Watch from 6:36. Its an old video but it talks about the important role of tanks.

Indeed but I don't know wheather Above turret is the final design or not...

I expect Altay turret like that....
306569_262440263839642_438448246_n.jpg
If altay looks like this then i am happy.

Last edited:
M46? dude your information is ancient, go update yourself

all M46s are retired, more than 1500 M48 tanks also retired we have another 1500. 750 of them are in M48A5T2 standard, others are used for training and some of them are used as stationary pill boxes in remote outposts.

M60 variants and Leopard1 variants will stay in order but all remaining 1500 M48 variants will be retired
Leopard 2A4s will get NG upgrade, and 120mm L55 guns

There's a possibility for 250+ of the leopard 1s and M60A3s to receive 120mm L44 Leopard 2 guns

And ALTAY will be produced in four batches (4x250 tanks)
And the decision was made?

Some would be enchanged to support vehicles, some would surely be used for target practise, I don't know who would want m48s :D if not given to anybody they would be scrapped.

Some would be enchanged to support vehicles, some would surely be used for target practise, I don't know who would want m48s :D if not given to anybody they would be scrapped.

I think we can give them to whom has no money to buy tanks...

Any T-34s still around?
Anyways the M48 (thermal sights ones) is better then the Russian junk T-72.

Back
Top Bottom