SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
From Dawn.COM

Smokers’ Corner: What casualties these are
Nadeem F. Paracha
(15 hours ago) Today

In the 1970s former prime minister Z A Bhutto once described Pakistan as a social lab to conduct various ‘Islamic experiments’. I don’t know whether Bhutto was being cynical or enthusiastic about this, but yes, it most certainly seems that this is exactly what this unfortunate republic has been all the while.

Forget about secular societies in the West that just can’t make head or tail about the way many Pakistanis behave and react in the name of religion; I have also seen people belonging to various Muslim countries sometimes scratch their heads when contemplating the behaviour of Pakistanis in this context. Are we as a Muslim majority nation really all that unique? For example, why only in Pakistan do people rise up to demand that a particular sect be declared non-Muslim — as if considering everyone else as heretics makes us feel and look more pious?

Why only in Pakistan
do people remain quiet when certain man-made ‘Islamic laws’ are openly exploited to conduct personal vendettas against minorities?

Why only in Pakistan
do people go on strike when a government even hints at amending such laws, despite the fact that the more sober Islamic scholars have
over and over again termed such laws as having few, if any, historical and theological precedents or justification? Are such laws yet another way for us to loudly mask the glaring social, political and economic hypocrisy that has become a way of life us?

Then, why only in Pakistan do people come out to destroy their own cities and properties for an act of blasphemy taking place thousands of miles away? And
anyway, in this respect, how seriously should the Almighty take a nation that won’t even bother to manage its own garbage dumps or dare speak up against the many gross acts of violence and injustice that take place in their Islamic republic and for which many are ready to burn buses and shoot people?

Why only in Pakista
n do many people still consider violent extremists and terrorists to be some kind of gung-ho mujahids fighting nefarious infidels and superpowers, even when on most occasions it is the common Pakistanis that are being slaughtered in their own markets, schools and mosques by these romanticised renegades? Why only in Pakistan, as more and more people now pack mosques, wear hijab, grow beards and lace their sentences with assorted Arabic vocabulary, society, instead of reaping the social and cultural benefits of this show of piety continues to tumble down the spiral as perhaps the most confused and contradictory bunch of people?

Of course, we always have a handy set of excuses for all this. We lash out at ‘Islam’s enemies’ (most of whom exist only in our heads and in our history books); we scorn our politicians and ulema, but at the same time we are ever ready to kill, loot, plunder and go on strikes on the call of these very people. We blame western and Indian cultural influences, but have no clue what to exchange these with. So, unable (rather unwilling) to appreciate the fact that we share an ancient, rich and regal culture with the rest of the subcontinent, we look towards the Middle East.

We reject our own culture but adopt a half-baked understanding of Arabian culture as our own
. No wonder a Pakistani continues to smile and keep quiet about the insults he constantly faces in various oil-rich countries, but he would make a huge hue and cry if and when he faces the same in a European or American city. After all, we are Arabs, and so what if our Arabic is not up to the mark, we’re getting there. But unfortunately, that’s all we’re getting at.

I pity myself and my nation. Each one is now a serious causality of all the brazen experiments that have taken place on us by those who wanted to impose their own concept of Islam in our governments, schools, streets and homes. So the next time you meet a hip, young Pakistani dude quoting a religious text, or a Pakistani who stops you from jogging at a park because he wants you to join him for prayers (you can’t ask him to join you for jogging, though), or a burqa-clad woman claiming she is a better woman than the one who does not wear a burqa, or watch a cooking show host talking more about God than the biryani she is cooking, or a bearded barber advising you not to shave, just forgive them all.

Treat us as causalities of the faith
which we ourselves have distorted beyond recognition. A faith that was supposed to make us a vibrant, progressive and tolerant set of people, has, instead, and due to our own warped understanding of it, turned us into a horde of very ripe looking vegetables.

NFP Smoker's corner: Dawn News

:tup::tup:

Great Article.

I am a little worried about Nadeem.F.Pracha.Pracha writes very 'frankly' against all these mullahs,talibans,Radicle Islam etc etc.Few years ago , I read his column and first thing came to my mind was "Man...this man got some guts".

:tup::tup:

Great Article.

I am a little worried about Nadeem.F.Pracha.Pracha writes very 'frankly' against all these mullahs,talibans,Radicle Islam etc etc.Few years ago , I read his column and first thing came to my mind was "Man...this man got some guts".

very much so.. although he is a satirist but you can see the anguish in his writings..
today whoever dares talk against the brutalisation of the religion at the hands of Mullahs is branded all the bad names and in cases meets the end like late Punjab Governer.

by the way even some religous scholars like Mufti Naeemi and Dr Farooq Khan were murdered for voicing against the taliban terrorists.

like NFP I will also like to mention sheri rehman, she had the guts to put forward the bill to amend the Blashphemy law in order to stop the misuse and abuse of the name but the only vocal voice in support was Governer Taseer who was slain..

(now watch some members how they will drag the thread to completely irrational, irrelevent and mind numbing debate).

Until Taseer's death I used to say that Pakistanis do too much self-flagellation. But now I am beginning to think that the self-flagellation was the right course, considering where Pakistan is heading now.
Just spoke to my uncle in Mirpur Khas (Sindh), Pakistan. When asked about his views about Taseer's death, he replied that that was of course a criminal and cruel thing to do. And then he said: Did I not tell you that the country was going down the drain and yet you did not agree with me 2-3 years ago? I had no answer to that.

Why this gloom and doom? Well, the reason being that it is not some 'liberal' or 'secularist' fears to protect our lifestyles. The fear is that voices of dissent are being muzzled. There is no question in my mind that the fundos will be emboldened by Taseer's death. They see as it as revenge for the Lal Masjid. And they will want more and back up their demands with threats.

I think, at least for now, the Blasphemy Law issue may be left untouched. I also think that Mumtaz Qadri should not be hanged. I say these with sadness. Out of fear. There is reason for the fear: The way the PPP abandoned Taseer was shameful. If the largest political party in Pakistan, the most secular major party behaves like it is more interested in holding on to power then talking a stand then the defiance can only go so far before more innocent like Taseer are killed.
To understand what I am saying, I think read the last few lines of the 'Cheer the Assassin'; it has been posted multiple times in this forum.

Z A Bhutto once described Pakistan as a social lab to conduct various ‘Islamic experiments’.

^^ defines it all , however i am sure ZAB was rather cynical as if he was serious he would have alerted this nation or did some thing to prevent this , i remember BB called talibans her bachay and these snakes bit her to death as well ...... !!!

Brave man NFP is , May Allah keep him safe from all threats and he keeps putting the great work he has done so far.

This is very sad in the sense that one can read through the desperation and frustration in the article. I have been reading Pracha for a long time, but never have felt such despair in him. Is this the general feeling among the liberal sect of Pakistan? If yes, then this is the time to be worried.

Pakistan is a d**k*y state

Qadri was given a hero's welcome at court premises by educated lawyers who showered him with rose petals!
The key pillar of a democracy is the will of the majority. As the meaning of an Urdu couplet goes, the beauty of democracy is that we can always be ruled by donkeys as long as the majority is made up of donkeys.

So, if the base concept is the assumption that the majority should get their way regardless of the quality of their choices, everyone has to follow. By that token, I am now quite convinced Pakistan is a donkey state. Forgive me if I sound unpatriotic – I am not, I love my country (or what is left of it). What I have lost, is hope.

Salmaan Taseer’s murder, shocking as it is, was somehow not totally unexpected. The kind of threats he was receiving or the protests against him were no secret. All because his opposition to a controversial law and his support for a Christian blasphemy convict (where an official enquiry points to likely innocence), was in itself considered equivalent to blasphemy.

Coming back to donkeys. Not one of the political leaders have had the guts to publicly condemn the reasons for his murder while conveying their shock at the incident. Not one has said that the so-called fatwa issued for the governor’s head by small-time mullahs could be wrong. The murderer is being hailed as a Ghazi (conqueror) and given a hero’s welcome at court premises by educated lawyers who showered him with rose petals! No less than 300 lawyers have offered to defend him free of charge. Text messages are circulating on cell phones praising him for his heroic act and condemning those who oppose the assassination as equal blasphemers! Facebook has pages dedicated in his honour with thousands of fans. The largest Urdu newspaper runs a front-page story declaring, “There should be no funeral for Salman Taseer and no condemnation for his death.”

The voices of sanity are muted. From the public and civil society, no one can raise a moderate opinion without being subjected to condemnation and life threats. No debate on the blasphemy law will be tolerated. No discussion on rule of law (on the subject of this assassination) is acceptable. The sentence has been passed, the verdict carried out. The majority has spoken.

Those spending endless hours defending the country to the rest of the world saying extremists are in a minority and that there is hope; those social activists out there who still want to call out to Pakistanis to “wake up and shake it up;” who are we fooling?

I think it’s time to wake up ourselves. We may love the country, but make no mistake, this is donkey country.

Punjab governor killing: Thousands march in Karachi to support blasphemy laws, Qadri

Read more: Punjab governor killing: Thousands march in Karachi to support blasphemy laws, Qadri - The Times of India Punjab governor killing: Thousands march in Karachi to support blasphemy laws, Qadri - The Times of India

KARACHI: Shouting anti-government slogans, thousands of people on Sunday marched here in Pakistan's financial capital to oppose any amendments in the controversial blasphemy laws and praised the man charged with killing Punjab governor Salmaan Taseer who dubbed it as "black law".

Outlawed Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed appeared in the rally, attended by Jamiat Ulema-e-Pakistan chief Maulana Fazal-ur-Rehman and Jamaat-e-Islami chief Syed Munawwar Hasan.

The demonstrators centered around the M A Jinnah Road and the Mausoleum of Quaid-e-Azam in Saddar area here with people converging in the area on the call of the splinter of conservative religio-political parties who oppose any changes to the laws that make insulting Islam a capital offense.

Wearing green headbands and holding flags with the Quranic verses inscribed on them, hundreds of youngsters, some of them wielding sticks, shouted slogans against the Pakistani government and the United States.

Some even shouted slogans in favour of arrested police commando Mumtaz Hussain Qadri who shot dead Taseer last week.

" Mumtaz Qadri is not a murderer, he is a hero," said one banner in Urdu. "We are ready to sacrifice our lives for the dignity of the Prophet Mohammad," read another.

Maulana Rehman said governor Taseer "was responsible for his own murder" because he had criticised the law and warned the government against making amendments in the law.

"We will organise protest rallies from next week in every mohalla and city, the blasphemy law issue is not just the issue of Pakistani Muslims but of the entire Islamic Ummah," Rehman told the gathering.

He said that when no effort had been made to amend other laws like the ones dealing with corruption or the civil death sentence then why was an issue being made of the blasphemy law.

"This is the conspiracy of people who want to divide the Islamic world and our nation," he said.

JeI chief Hasan alleged that attempts were being made to amend the blasphemy law at the behest of Western forces.

Senior police officer Irshad Khan put down the number of participants in the rally was between 30,000 to 40,000.

"The participants came from all parts of the city but there were no untoward incidents or any violence as the rally was held peacefully and no one disturbed the nearby businesses or transport on the road," he said.

Police had blocked all entrances leading to the rally point for public and private transport while cinema houses put black cloths on the huge billboards outside their halls.

Taseer was killed in Islamabad by his guard who said he felt insulted by the deceased Governor's remarks about the law under which a Christian mother of five was sentenced to death for using disparaging remarks against the Prophet.

Read more: Punjab governor killing: Thousands march in Karachi to support blasphemy laws, Qadri - The Times of India Punjab governor killing: Thousands march in Karachi to support blasphemy laws, Qadri - The Times of India

This is very sad in the sense that one can read through the desperation and frustration in the article. I have been reading Pracha for a long time, but never have felt such despair in him. Is this the general feeling among the liberal sect of Pakistan? If yes, then this is the time to be worried.

its a confused state .. people dont know how to react one factions calls the murderer A Ghazi (holy warrior who fought for Islam) whilst others are calling Victim shaheed (holy warrior who died for Islam)

This is the first time when there is a head on collision btw those who support Islamic extremism (where ever in the world ) and those who dont.

30,000 to 40,000 participants ..... and its considered big its a tiny fraction considering population of khi which is appx 20 million. And these JI and JUI are rejected by voters long back , its obvious that their masters funds their protest but they have no public support nor any mandate.

30,000 to 40,000 participants ..... and its considered big its a tiny fraction considering population of khi which is appx 20 million. And these JI and JUI are rejected by voters long back , its obvious that their masters funds their protest but they have no public support nor any mandate.

Still it's pretty shameful that we have 30 to 40 thousand uneducated psycho's in Pakistan. I know they do not represent all Pakistanis, but unfortunately this is the image of Pakistan the world is going to see.

I am trying to allow myself time to get over the shock of Taseer's death; often it it is good to have some 'distance' in miles and time to make reasoned conclusions.
The early conclusions I am reaching are so despairing that I am now even thinking about the need to have the international community come and take over running of Pakistan's affairs. I have expressed some early 'jumbled thoughts' in this forum a few days ago. Nothing I have seen since them has made me more optimistic. In fact, the cheering and welcoming for the assassin has added to despair despite a few candle light vigils and some very brave blogspace contributions.

One more thing on my mind is: What kind of 'model' of State Pakistan is going to become? There is definitely a slide down toward the abyss of a cosmetic 'Islamic' state. But of which kind? Saudi Arabian model or the Iranian model. Or a combination of them? Or a unique 'sub-continental' brand of 'Islam'? I don't know. I don't know. But one important point is that Pakistan is not some monolithic Sunni or Shia population state as KSA and Iran respectively are. On surface Pakistan is a 'Sunni' state but there is a sizable Shia minority. Even in Sunnis the Barelvis and Deobandis themselves target each other using the Blasphemy Law.
Let's see how things go.

He and even Najam Sethi are outspoken by Pakistani standards. Hope they are not shot.

Back
Top Bottom