What's new

Why Hindi-Urdu is One Language and Arabic is Several

Bilal, never mind. I am happy to see that you recognize that Urdu is a descendant pre-Islamic Prakrit languages (albeit with the addition of loan words).

You've admitted that Khari Boli is not Hindi. And yes, the things you've said about Urdu in your quote above applies to Hindi as well, although there isn't any verified historical & cultural context during that time that a separate language called 'Hindi' was formed alongside Urdu at that time. As I've mentioned before, it makes sense from a historical & cultural point of view that Urdu as we know today was formed at that time. I've mentioned that in a few posts before.

If the language you call 'Hindi' today (which you don't call Urdu) is actually Hindi & almost the same as Khari Boli, why do you have so many Persian & Arabic derived words in the 'Hindi' today? After all, Khari Boli is the pre-Islamic era with no Persian or Arabic amalgamation into the Indian subcontinent, right?

You've admitted that Khari Boli is not Hindi. And yes, the things you've said about Urdu in your quote above applies to Hindi as well, although there isn't any verified historical & cultural context during that time that a separate language called 'Hindi' was formed alongside Urdu at that time. As I've mentioned before, it makes sense from a historical & cultural point of view that Urdu as we know today was formed at that time. I've mentioned that in a few posts before.

If the language you call 'Hindi' today (which you don't call Urdu) is actually Hindi & almost the same as Khari Boli, why do you have so many Persian & Arabic derived words in the 'Hindi' today? After all, Khari Boli is the pre-Islamic era with no Persian or Arabic amalgamation into the Indian subcontinent, right?

Standard Hindi, or more precisely Modern Standard Hindi, also known as Manak Hindi (Devanagari), High Hindi, Nagari Hindi, and Literary Hindi, is a standardised and sanskritised register of the Hindustani language derived from the khariboli dialect of Delhi.

You've admitted that Khari Boli is not Hindi. And yes, the things you've said about Urdu in your quote above applies to Hindi as well, although there isn't any verified historical & cultural context during that time that a separate language called 'Hindi' was formed alongside Urdu at that time. As I've mentioned before, it makes sense from a historical & cultural point of view that Urdu as we know today was formed at that time.

Modern pure Hindi is not Khadi Boli in the same sense as modern English is not Shakespearean English.

Hindi has a limited number of Persian and Arabic words for the same reason that modern English has Hindi words!

Standard Hindi, or more precisely Modern Standard Hindi, also known as Manak Hindi (Devanagari), High Hindi, Nagari Hindi, and Literary Hindi, is a standardised and sanskritised register of the Hindustani language derived from the khariboli dialect of Delhi.

Hindi is derived from Khari Boli, it isn't Khari Boli itself. The same applies to Urdu as well.

Khariboli is widely accepted to be the main dialectical precursor of the Hindi-Urdu prestige dialect, of which Standard Hindi and Urdu are official standard registers and literary styles.

Source: Wikipedia

All of this has already been established. We are talking about Hindi & Urdu here, not Khari Boli. You didn't answer Post #121.

Modern pure Hindi is not Khadi Boli in the same sense as modern English is not Shakespearean English.

Modern Hindi has a limited number of Persian and Arabic words for the same reason that modern English has Hindi words!

Modern pure Urdu is not Khari Boli in the same sense as modern English isn't Shakespearean English.

Almost every sentence you use in modern Hindi has Persian & Arabic words in them. Removing these words would make 'modern' Hindi into Shudh Hindi. Are you saying Khari Boli is Shudh Hindi? If it is, why is standard Urdu an official standard register of Khari Boli? What do you mean by limited Persian and Arabic words?

Modern pure Urdu is not Khari Boli in the same sense as modern English isn't Shakespearean English.

Well and good.

Almost every sentence you use in modern Hindi has Persian & Arabic words in them. What do you mean by limited Persian and Arabic words?

If you want to hear modern pure Hindi, watch the Mahabharat TV serial ... there are almost no Persian and Arabic words, and I can assure you that it was completely comprehensible and very popular amongst common Hindi speakers.

You didn't answer Post #121.
If the language you call 'Hindi' today (which you don't call Urdu) is actually Hindi & almost the same as Khari Boli, why do you have so many Persian & Arabic derived words in the 'Hindi' today?

Modern Standard Hindi, also known as Manak Hindi DOES NOT have Persian and Arabic words - barring FEW words.

However, in the case of URDU, more than fifity percent its Hindi.

If you want to hear modern pure Hindi, watch the Mahabharat TV serial ... there are almost no Persian and Arabic words, and I can assure you that it was completely comprehensible and very popular amongst common Hindi speakers.

Are you saying Khari Boli is Shudh Hindi? If it is, why is standard Urdu an official standard register of Khari Boli? Why does present Hindi have so many Persian & Arabic words in its every sentence, when present Hindi is supposed to be almost identical to Khari Boli that had no Persian/Arabic words in it? Just admit it, modern Hindi is not almost the same as Khari Boli. Modern Hindi is NOT Khari Boli. Shudh Hindi was a creation of the Indian government post 1947. Modern/colloquial Hindi spoken today & Urdu have the same relations with Khari Boli.

Modern Standard Hindi, also known as Manak Hindi DOES NOT have Persian and Arabic words - barring FEW words.

However, in the case of URDU, more than fifity percent its Hindi.

Yes, Shudh/Manak Hindi has no connection to the history & culture of the region from centuries ago, it was the invention of the Indian government post 1947 to distort the spoken language of the Indian subcontinent from centuries ago. No such thing as Manak Hindi existed before 1947. You mean, Urdu is more than 50-60% Khari Boli, the rest being Persian & Arabic derived words. The same case with modern Hindi. Modern standard Hindi has Persian and Arabic words in every sentence.

Modern standard Hindi has Persian and Arabic words in every sentence.

Totally WRONG!
Expound it further, substantiate please.
I refuse to accept your false claim.

Are you saying Khari Boli is Shudh Hindi? If it is, why is standard Urdu an official standard register of Khari Boli? Why does present Hindi have so many Persian & Arabic words in its every sentence, when present Hindi is supposed to be almost identical to Khari Boli that had no Persian/Arabic words in it? Just admit it, modern Hindi is not almost the same as Khari Boli. Modern Hindi is NOT Khari Boli. Shudh Hindi was a creation of the Indian government post 1947. Modern/colloquial Hindi spoken today & Urdu have the same relations with Khari Boli.

I will repeat - Modern Hindi has the same relation to Khadi Boli as modern English has to Shakespearean English.

As regards Arabic and Persian words - pure Hindi has very few of them. The film industry tends to use much more of them than are used colloquially. People in villages tend to use fewer Persian and Arabic words than people in urban areas. People in Delhi may use more than people in Indore or Ujjain or Varanasi. It varies.

Totally WRONG!
Expound it further, substantiate please.
I refuse to accept your false claim.

Write me a few complete sentences in Hindi (using the English Roman script, not the Devanagari script) of more than 10 words each, & I'll let you know of all the Persian & Arabic derived words you have used in them. Deal? And remember, we are talking about the modern standard Hindi/Hindustani here, not Shudh Hindi.

As I said, Shudh Hindi which you are referring to is nothing but a creation of the Indian government post 1947. It is not modern standard Hindi. Hardly anyone can understand Shudh Hindi in India. No one ever talked like that before 1947.

I will repeat - Modern Hindi has the same relation to Khadi Boli as modern English has to Shakespearean English.

As regards Arabic and Persian words - pure Hindi has very few of them. The film industry tends to use much more of them than are used colloquially. People in villages tend to use fewer Persian and Arabic words than people in urban areas. It varies.

Write me a few complete sentences in Hindi (using the English Roman script, not the Devanagari script) of more than 10 words each, & I'll let you know of all the Persian & Arabic derived words you have used in them. Deal? And remember, we are talking about the modern standard Hindi/Hindustani here, not Shudh Hindi. Shudh Hindi is the creation of the Indian government post 1947, & is not a real language. Trust me, you'll realize that almost every other you use in your regular Hindi has Persian or Arabic roots.

Write me a few complete sentences in Hindi (using the English Roman script, not the Devanagari script) of more than 10 words each, & I'll let you know of all the Persian & Arabic derived words you have used in them. Deal? And remember, we are talking about the modern standard Hindi/Hindustani here, not Shudh Hindi. Shudh Hindi is the creation of the Indian government post 1947, & is not a real language. Trust me, you'll realize that almost every other you use in your regular Hindi has Persian or Arabic roots.

Chalo phir Hindi mein Charchaa kareinge. Kis ke bare mein baat karein? Is mein koi bhi videshi shabd aapko nahi milega.

Chalo phir Hindi mein Charchaa kareinge. Kis ke bare mein baat karein? Is mein koi bhi videshi shabd aapko nahi milega.

You're talking in Shudh Hindi btw, not standard modern Hindi that everyone else speaks. And I understood almost everything you said in there, despite the fact that you weren't using standard Hindi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom