What's new

Why Hindi-Urdu is One Language and Arabic is Several

Write me a few complete sentences in Hindi (using the English Roman script, not the Devanagari script) of more than 10 words each, & I'll let you know of all the Persian & Arabic derived words you have used in them. Deal? And remember, we are talking about the modern standard Hindi/Hindustani here, not Shudh Hindi..

Here you go:

Apse kitini baar kah chuka ke ye saman mujse nahi uthaya jaega.........

Now in above sentence what is (the content of) Arabic or Persian into it?

Here you go:

Apse kitini baar kah chuka ke ye saman mujse nahi uthaya jaega.........

Now in above sentence what is (the content of) Arabic or Persian into it?

So what's your point? This is the exact same sentence in Urdu as well. Everyday words you use in 'Hindi' like waqt, hafta, khaana, paani, haath, kamra (room) etc are all Persian words.

Sure, but everything is of Sanskrit/Prakrit origin.

But you weren't using standard Hindi in those sentences, you were using the Shudh Hindi that was a creation of the Indian government post 1947. No one ever spoke like that in India before 1947, and hardly anyone in India speaks like that today. But I still understand what you said.

So what's your point? This is the exact same sentence in Urdu as well. Words like waqt, hafta, khaana, paani etc are all Persian words.

My point was to respond to your challenge, which said the following:

Write me a few complete sentences in Hindi (using the English Roman script, not the Devanagari script) of more than 10 words each, & I'll let you know of all the Persian & Arabic derived words you have used in them. Deal?

Well you failed in your own challenge, because you never did find any Arabic or Persian input in it!!!

And you claimed as follow:

Modern standard Hindi has Persian and Arabic words in every sentence.

My point was to respond to your challenge, which said the following:

Well you failed in your own challenge, because you never did find any Arabic or Persian input in it!!!

And you claimed as follow:

Modern standard Hindi has Persian and Arabic words in every sentence.

So what if you didn't use any Persian/Arabic words in a sentence? If you talk a few sentences spontaneously, you shall see the Persian/Arabic words coming out. This is the exact same sentence in Urdu as well, so I don't see your point. One can write a few English sentences without any Latin derived words as well, doesn't mean that English hasn't been derived from Latin. I think we were talking about Hindi & Urdu here, & their roots. You have clearly diverted the thread.

So what if you didn't use any Persian/Arabic words in a sentence? If you talk a few sentences spontaneously, you shall see the Persian/Arabic words coming out. This is the exact same sentence in Urdu as well. I think we were talking about Hindi & Urdu here, & their roots. You have clearly diverted the thread.

The last I know is that you threw the challenge - and you failed miserably without struggling a bit.....:P

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

hmmmmmmm two different languages.

Oye kithey mar gayii ni :lol:

The last I know is that you threw the challenge - and you failed miserably without struggling a bit.....:P

One can write a few English sentences without any Latin derived words as well, doesn't mean that English hasn't been derived from Latin. English has almost been completely derived from Latin. I don't understand what the point of all this is, we were talking about Urdu & Hindi here.

One can write a few English sentences without any Latin derived words as well, doesn't mean that English hasn't been derived from Latin. English has almost been completely derived from Latin. I don't understand what the point of all this is, we were talking about Urdu & Hindi here.

Now you are contradicting youself in a big way by the following act of yours:

One can write a few English sentences without any Latin derived words as well, doesn't mean that English hasn't been derived from Latin. English has almost been completely derived from Latin.

Above you are talking about English in a non related subject!

And here you are reminding me of following:

I don't understand what the point of all this is, we were talking about Urdu & Hindi here.

Do you yourself know where you stand?

I suppose that some dialects of arabic differ so much from each other that some people consider them different languages. e.g. i have many syrian, palestinian friends who have difficulty understanding another tunisian guys arabic. Maybe some arabic speaker could shed some light on this.

You are right, my Sudanese friend can not understand other Middle Eastern Arabs.

But you weren't using standard Hindi in those sentences, you were using the Shudh Hindi that was a creation of the Indian government post 1947. No one ever spoke like that in India before 1947, and hardly anyone in India speaks like that today. But I still understand what you said.

You are contradicting yourself, what you had said earlier was:

This is the exact same sentence used in Urdu as well.

First you say that I am speaking Urdu, then you say that I am speaking Shudh Hindi, which was artificially created in 1947!

Urdu's history,entirely is associated with India.
Urdu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And no doubt,urdu is one of the purest,if not the purest language on earth.

Its a khichdi language, mixing some foreign words in an existing North Indian language.

Now what does a pure khichdi even mean! You can have a pure daal or pure rice, but not pure khichdi. A khichdi is just a mixture.

So you can have pure Hindi (Shudh Hindi with no Tadbhav foreign words) and pure Persian or Arabic. Not a pure mixture of all three. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom