What's new

Why Hindi-Urdu is One Language and Arabic is Several

Formal Urdu used in the Pakistani news channels today has always existed, as can be seen in the works of Urdu poets over the centuries, but Shudh Hindi was the creation of the Indian government post 1947.

Modern pure Hindi is almost the same as Khadi Boli. Many of the loan words were deprecated. I would support renaming India's national language as Khadi Boli, for historical clarity.

Is it possible to rename India's national language? :/

Formal Urdu used in the Pakistani news channels has always existed, as can be seen in the works of Urdu poets over the centuries, but Shudh Hindi was the creation of the Indian government post 1947.

Formal Urdu exists because it was standardised by the Mughals for official use. Formal Hindi does not exist because it grew organically. That does not mean that urdu is older than hindi.

Yes, Hindi was derived from Khari Boli, just as Urdu was. Urdu spoken today is almost the same as Khari Boli as well. However, the Urdu spoken today is an older language than the Hindi spoken today, & I've explained it in thorough detail over the past few posts of mine.

In one variant (Urdu) you have more loan words, while the other variant (modern Hindi) retains the original vocabulary to a greater extent.

Formal Urdu exists because it was standardised by the Mughals for official use. Formal Hindi does not exist because it grew organically. That does not mean that urdu is older than hindi.

But you didn't name me one author's or poet's name prior to the Mughals that wrote in Hindi that can be understood by the average Hindi speaker today. Before the Mughals, Hindi did not exist. Simple as.

In one variant (Urdu) you have more loan words, while the other variant (modern Hindi) retains the original vocabulary to a greater extent.

What you don't understand is that Urdu has its fair share of Sanskrit & other derivatives. It's not Persian or Arabic, it still has a huge chunk of the ancient local dialects spoken in the Indian subcontinent at the time. Urdu is still almost the same as Khari Boli, & it has retained the original vocabulary as well, the same case with Hindi.

But you didn't name me one author's or poet's name prior to the Mughals that wrote in Hindi that can be understood by the average Hindi speaker today. Before the Mughals, Hindi did not exist. Simple as.

Before the Mughals, Khadi Boli existed, which is closer to modern pure Hindi than to Urdu.

Of course not!!! Because in the past 500 years, hindi has changed dramatically. Anyways I think many poets including Kabir were named who spoke in hindi (or hindwi as you call it) at that time, but that language has undergone a sea change.

The fact that urdu spoken nowdays is so similar to urdu spoken during Mughal times only shows that it was a standardised language whose growth has been controlled. That's all.

What you don't understand is that Urdu has its fair share of Sanskrit & other derivatives. It's not Persian or Arabic, it still has a huge chunk of the ancient local dialects spoken in the Indian subcontinent at the time.

I am not disagreeing with that statement.

Urdu is a register of the Hindustani language identified with Muslims.

Khadi Boli is a pre-Islamic dialect, it did not have any of the loan words which characterize Urdu.

The usage of loan words are a personal preference for Urdu speakers. It serves as a means of diversity, a connection with other cultures, when they use these loan words. It's like someone speaking with a posh English accent. Urdu speakers can speak exactly the same language as Hindi speakers without the loan words if they want to. Many do. But Khari Boli is neither Hindi nor Urdu, & is equally close to both.

Sorry,but isn't Hindi a toned down version of Samskrutam???Also Hindi is written using{mainly(?)} Sanskrit letters.............So even if any poems were written in Hindi then,they would be called Sanskrit poems right???

The usage of loan words are a personal preference for Urdu speakers. It serves as a means of diversity, a connection with many other cultures, when they use these loan words. It's like someone speaking with a posh English accent. Urdu speakers can speak exactly the same language as Hindi speakers if they want to. But Khari Boli is neither Hindi nor Urdu, & is equally close to both.

Bilal, never mind. I am happy to see that you recognize that Urdu is a descendant pre-Islamic Prakrit languages (albeit with the addition of loan words).

Back
Top Bottom